Off To New Orleans! | FerrariChat

Off To New Orleans!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Alex_V, Jul 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I just got back from qualifying for the AAU Junior Olympics Track and Field Championships, im going down there for long jump and high jump! I have a very good chance of winning gold in my age group for the High jump :D Should be fun.......

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Alex, that's awesome...! Congratulations and good luck...!

3. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    Way to go Alex. Let us know how you do. We will pull for ya! Go for it with all you have! BTW: I have a friend here named Randy Williams. Ever heard of him? Great guy, very humble and kind.

Gold, Silver and Bronze in three Olympics starting in 1972.

4. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Google is your friend:

Event Mark
    Long Jump
    Randy Williams, USA 27- 01/2
    Hans Baumgartner, W. Ger 26-10
    Arnie Robinson, USA 26-4

----------------------------------------------

Very impressive on Mr Williams part,anything past 24 ft is very good. I just started long jumping literally one week ago, i did it at some meet before this qualifier then went to that meet and jumped 20ft, 1in.
    Im going to keep training hard and hopefully jump a 21ft xxin jump by the time the first week of August comes around. Ive got some good coaching to work with so Ill hope for the best! :)

my goals for New Orleans :

High Jump: 6'5 or 6'6
    Long Jump: 21ft xxin

5. Supercarlover

Supercarlover Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Joshua B.
    Alex...that's awesome!! I remember doing track-and-field when I was younger. I loved high-jump. I did pretty good in it too...but I was much much younger....wasn't reaching near the height that you are. Congrats once again. Keep up the good work. Ferrari-chat representin'. :)

Note to Rob/mods: anyways someone could slip Alex a Ferrari-Chat patch? Sew it on his uniform? Just a thought. :D

6. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    A thread about coming to my hometown and nobody mentions Bourbon St??? What are you guys thinking?! :D

They may not long-jump on Bourbon, but they sure can barhop!

7. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Qualifying Marks are in!

HIGH JUMP
    1) Fl. kid ---6'6
    2) IL. Kid---6'4
    3) Me 6'2, Fl kid: 6'2, 2 KC guys: 6'2

The long jump has like 20 kids right at or a little over 20 feet (my mark was 20'1) so I wont post those up.

I dont know if all of these people will go to the meet in New Orleans, these were the results from the qualifier meet they competed at, a real list of the competers will be released in about a week or so, so I will post up the real qualifiers then. Im way exited for this, im hoping to get a top 3 finish at that meet!

8. justhrowit

justhrowit Formula 3

Feb 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Jay D.
    Good luck to you! T&F...or in our case Field and track is a great sport to be part of. I competed in the Shot put and discus since 5th grade all the way through college. I was recruited out of H.S, but my grades were sub-par and went to a CC where I was the NJCAA national champ in the hammer throw. Went on to a have great career at a Div 1 school after CC...threw Shot, disc and Hammer. I hope you stay with it and don't be an idiot like me and forget abotu grades. There is a huge epidemic in American T&F, especially in the college arena. Many schools are dropping their Men's T&F teams and XC teams (mine did three years after I graduated) in order to fund other more lucrative sports (football, basketball). I hope you stick with it because you love to do it. I could have easily played Div 1 football, but just didn't have the desire to play after H.S. Keep it up...it's great to see young people getting involved in the sport. Stick with it and good luck to you at the AAU meet!

J

9. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    good luck man. You better count your blessings that a kid from my school isnt there. He high jumps about 6' 9"-6' 11"

10. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Thank you VERY MUCH for the kind words and encouragment, seeing as my best jump is infact 6'6, I hope I can make it intresting for the guy who hit that mark :D Its been tough a while for me, I was used to practicing every day for it, but now since school is out, the track isnt open every day so I am having to drive to this middle school only 3 days a week, drag all the mats out, practice then put them back. I think it will be worth it however.....

Thats awsome about your hammer throw championship, congrats on that. I think I am going to learn how to throw and then do the decathalon. I am already a sprinter and jumper and got some muscles so I think a decathalon is a chance. I know that my junior and senior years are key grade wise, I think my overall GPA is maybe 2.8 or 2.9, definetley have to get it over 3.0 to have a chance at colleges. I really do enjoy track, sadly I think I am starting to lose it on football, even after only playing it for one year. I had a good time last year playing, but I dont know its just becoming less and less fun for me during our 7v7 scrimages my school hosts. Since I am new at it, I will give it more time but I dont think a football scholarship is in my future, but I am fine with that because I would much more prefer a track scholarship.

Thanks again,

Alex

11. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Thats pretty Impressive, what year is he? I was a sophomore this year and did 6'6, also if hes older I wouldnt have to compete with him anyways, im in the 15 and 16yr old age group :p

Oh, yeah, guess who my "competition" was at the state finals? Colorado Field Athlete of the year, State Champ high jumper...results from the state finals below; not really a competion for first and second!

Boys High Jump 5A

1)Mike McKonkie, Doherty SR---7-00.00

2)Alex Von Hagen, Legacy SO ---6-06.00

3)Jon Vanderweele, Ponderosa JR ----6-05.00

4)Kevin Wills, Heritage SR ---- 6-05.00ft.

5)Crosby Rock, Grand Jct JR---- 6-04.00

Thanks for the encouraging words!

12. justhrowit

justhrowit Formula 3

Feb 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Jay D.
    Your grades are all right, but like you said....get them up over a 3.0. Junior and Senior year are key years, but at the same time it's harder to increase your GPA in those years as you have more classes to include in your cummulative GPA. A good grade will have less affect on your GPA. I actually did quite well my junior and senior years, but I was in such a hole, there was almost no way out. I went into my junior year under a 2.0 (oops). I learned I was a pretty good athlete and needed to do something. In the end, it just wasn't enough. The road I took was good for me though, and I wouldn't change anything. As for your practices....everyday is too much. Closing the track is prolly good for you. As you age and grow competitively you'll learn that. Your body needs to recover....physically and moreso mentally. It's o.k to practice everyday but you need to include technique work in some days and not just full out jumping. Remember, high jump and especially long jump is a pretty high impact and explosive event. Your jumping as hard as you can every time out. Starting including form days in there and over time you'll be amazed at the results. Of course weight room days help as well. Being around college T&F athletes I learned A LOT abotu all the events, especially the field events. We had a high jumper in College who's P.R was 7-3.5 He jumped that his senior year in college. His freshman year he went 7-1. Not really that good after five years. His problem was that he jumped too damn much. His body wore down, and he developed chronic ankle and acilis problems. Took him a long damn time to figure out he had to take more rest. His SR. year he finally broke through and set a new P.R. It was frusterating for him. Check out www.trackshark.com Pretty good website to look at with a pretty big audience. Take care

Jay

13. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I should of said this in my earlier posts, I dont just go to the HJ pit and do a full approach, trying to PR every practice, infact my HJ coach will come to these practices and I remember last night, we didnt even go over 5'8, I do a lot of 1 step, 3 step, 5 step approches and dont worry so much as height, instead I stess form, my coach wont let me do too much either, she usually gives me X number of jumps before we wrap it up. I wish I had some pictures of me jumping on the computer, I am arched over that bar with everything I have. I am only 5'9 and have a standing vertical of like 26 so form has to be key with my jumping. I think its more of a mental thing about my everyday practices, I feel like Im losing out when I dont practice somedays, but like I said, I dont go all out every practice, in the long jump also, its all form and getting the little things down rather than full approach, giving everything I have everyday; that will wear you out.

Thanks for the advice though, its greatly appreciated and shows you want to help me excel, again...Thanks!

14. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    All right, I flew in last night and came home with a medal!

I ended up taking 4th in the High Jump at this national meet, the winner jumped 6'10 and then there was 3 other people (including me) at 6'4. Long jump was all right, I didnt get the lenght I wanted but the steps I take during my approach were off and at this strict meet they werent really into letting you take the time to find them.

Anyways, overall it went pretty good; I will try and find some of the pictures on the internet that they were taking during the meet.

New Orleans is a very differnt town than Denver. Thats all I have to say :D