355 replacement steering wheel?? | FerrariChat

355 replacement steering wheel??

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Hazy, Jul 22, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Guys,

has anyone changed the airbag steering wheel in their 355 for something a bit prettier and a bit more tactile. The standard one has got to easily be the worst part of an otherwise fantastic car. I'm not bothered about an airbag wheel, just something that looks and feels right, a bit more chunky and black suede would be nice.....

S'pose I could always get a steering wheel cover from Halfords if not! :rolleyes:

Any suggestions please??? :)

2. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    I agree with you on the looks, the earlier models look better couldn't you put one of them on???:)

3. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I think even the earlier model requires a boss adapter (as do aftermarket wheels), and I've yet to see a boss adapter that didn't look like some 4th year school metalwork project.

Now there is a firm that reckons to be able to fit an 360 wheel to a 355. Bernard was looking into this a while back. Not sure where he is with it now.

It's something I've always wanted to do, but with 360 wheels into 4 figures (if you can get one), I've always ended up buying other stuff instead.

If a solution was there on a plate for me, I'd be likely to take it forwards. But the challenge of sorting it is thankfully enough to stop me spunking that particular wedge of cash!

4. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    this is the problem......cool looking steering wheels abound, momo, sparco OMP etc etc but its the (usually) ugly boss kit that is normally required that ruins things. If a non airbag early wheel would go straight on, that would be the best option, perhaps re-finished in sexy black suede first?

Anyone know if they will go straight on an airbag car???

5. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I asked the same question on here a few weeks ago. Couldnt find anything that was straight forward that looked good. Theres some piccies on the 355 section from some of the american folk.

6. harmitc

harmitc Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Bernard R
    Still planning to fit a 360 wheel to my car, but as yet have not found one for a reasonable price. But I might just go ahead and get one from a dealer as otherwise I’ll be waiting for ever!

I exchanged a few emails with Dimex in Germany who assured me that it was no problem to fit just expensive. That’s why most of their conversions use aftermarket wheels.

So, that’s all I can advise, as soon as I get a 360 wheel and fit it I’ll post a report.

Bernard

7. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Will Ferrari sell you one Bernard? I seem to recall them getting shirty with other parts, needing VINs etc. Can't imagine many people needing to replace a wheel...

Wonder how much a 430 wheel is. Could use the Manettino thing for the suspension switch, lights etc :)

8. Marcus 27

Marcus 27 Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    The 360 wheel looks terrific in the Dimex picture (although I reckon it would look even better with the aluminium parts coloured matt black).

So how much does it cost to fit it? Does it need some sort of adapter or does it just bolt on?

9. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I agree on making the ali parts black.

I think it's fitted using a kit from Dimex. And seem to recall figures of 1500-2000GBP. But that could be a bit out and I think includes the wheel.

Like I said, I didn't look *too* hard.

Bernard may have a better idea.

10. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Search the archives - I've posted on this topic probably 8-9 times. My mechanic had a batch of really trick hub adapters made up. Machined out of billet, gorgeous. I used it to mount a MOMO racing wheel to my 355. Full details, pics, instructions in one of my early posts.

vty,

--Dennis