Mclaren F1 car crash,whats the go | FerrariChat

Mclaren F1 car crash,whats the go

Discussion in 'Australia' started by scud, Jul 24, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    vic rego MCLF1 , i saw it this year at the GP now it's on wreckedexotics.com . what happened and is the driver ok? i got told the repair bill was big

rock on

2. Timmy88

Timmy88 Rookie

Nov 27, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Tim
    interesting, there is only 1 photo on wrecked exotics, seems the photos could have been taken a while ago, simply because there is no description on what happend or even a date, which is odd as most newer cars featured have at least a date and the city where it happend.

On another note on the sisters site exotic spotter it has the car where it was displayed at the GP in June the comment below the photos reads 'quote Spotted leaving the Melbourne F1 GP. If you check the wreckedexotics.com site you'll notice that this car was also featured on there and the repair for this car is believed to be one of the most expensive auto repair jobs in Australia's history'

I suspect the incident could have occured before the car was displayed at the GP, hope the driver is a-okay as the car seems a little beaten up in the photo.

3. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    where? gimme a link. wasn't it seen driving around just two weeks ago?

4. RMV

RMV F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Notice that the numberplate on the wrecked F1 is the older style personalised plate MCLF-1, but on the recent photos at the GP, the plate is modern slimline sticker/decal, and MCL-F1. Is it me, or does the F1 look silver in the wrecked exotics pic, and dark metallic grey in the recent pics? Are they the same car??? I'm beginning to think not. NB both plates are Victorian.

5. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    come on you mexicans from the south , surely this was big news when it happened???

rock on

6. RMV

RMV F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    At one stage, there was an F1 in Victoria (I think, or at the very least registered in Victoria, 'MCLF-1') which was owned by an extremely secretive individual. I won't mention his name. I get the feeling this is the car that was crashed and featured on wreckedexotics. I *think* this car was displayed at the Melbourne Motor Show during the mid 90s. I have pics actually, and from memory, it had that plate displayed on the rear.

I suspect that 'MCL-F1', the dark grey car seen at the GP is not the same car, so therefore, there are at least two F1s in Oz. The plot thickens because I think the silver one has since been sold by the secretive fellow. BTW, didn't 360C hint that there's more than one F1 in Australia in another thread?

EDIT: I just found the pics, and there are no plates displayed on the car. FWIW, I think it was shown at the last motorshow held at The Royal Exhibition Building. Moreover, it was on the same stand as Lamborghini and Lotus and TVR, as this was the Monarch Motors/imports stand.

But I definitely have seen a pic of the silver F1, with old style VIC plates 'MCLF-1' in the same garage with orange bricks, in 'uncrashed' condition. I saw the crash pic only a few weeks ago, and was shocked!

7. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I don't know of any "secretive" owners.

I think there's only one registered in Aus. It was owned by the coke guy in sydney. I knew it'd had a bingle, but I'd heard that it wasn't very bad....the one in that photo...THAT looks bad. We'll find out soon enough.

Since then, Tony Raftis bought it from the Coke guy...and now he's sold it to someone else. (Raftis is in the car trade...it's what he does!)

8. RMV

RMV F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    That's the guy. Joe Kenwright referred to him as secretive, but quite a few people obviously know he has one, or had one. According to Kenwright, he wouldn't let the car be photographed (or driven) by journos. Can't blame him after what I read about what R&T did to Beal's F1!

9. RMV

RMV F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Then it IS the same one... there goes my theory! One car, slightly different plates and paint job post crash.

10. injektilo

injektilo Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2005
    The car was originally owned by Dean Wills, who was a director for Coca-Cola or something along those lines. Now owned by Tony Raftis, as per PP.

The car was apparently for sale in Melbourne earlier this year. From the picture provided in the link below, it must be Duttons, however I cannot confirm it was there.

http://speed.*************/PitLane?viewThread=y&gID=0&fID=2&tID=27251

Check this thread for more info:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=367291&highlight=melbourne+mclaren

All I can guess is that the car has been repaired or the plates sold to Tony Raftis.

11. injektilo

injektilo Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2005
    Taken from the third page of the ************* post:

http://speed.*************/PitLane?viewThread=y&gID=0&fID=2&tID=27251&bottom=20

Sadly, the third picture is the Dean Wills car, taken after it was wrecked very badly by a mechanic giving it a go, but even with all that visible damage the car was supposedly repaired. Notice how they both seem to have the same plate holder in the front.

Therefore RMV is correct, it was the car at the motor show and has been repaired at some stage.

12. RMV

RMV F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    I didn't realise the original owner's name was plastered all over the internet! Kenwright wouldn't even mention his name in an artice he wrote on the F1 on the grounds of privacy! :)

13. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

This is correct. It happened years ago when Dean Wills owned it and a mechanic was driving it at the time.
    The car was displayed at the Melbourne Motorshow at least once in the 90's.

14. FFOUR

FFOUR F1 Veteran

Sep 14, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    :eek: wouldn't you love to be the guy who had to call him and give him the news.... :(

15. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Ever met Dean Wills? I would have left the country if it were me........

16. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Ouch...well that's hardly a "slight" bit of damage. I hope, now that it's out in the open, that the guy Raftis sold it to knows otherwise it might come as quite a shock! Personally, I'm not going to tell him. In fact, I don't think I'll mention it again!

17. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I am sure he would have been told. In any case it went back to the factory for repair.

18. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Ouch.
    My car is ex Dean Wills as well, is there anything I should know?

19. FFOUR

FFOUR F1 Veteran

Sep 14, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    No I haven't....can't say I'd blame him for getting mad though.

Do you know what actually happened with this mechanic (i.e was he fired)?

20. RMV

RMV F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    I'm guessing since the accident, his voice is a number of octaves higher! :D

21. Lamoose

Lamoose Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2005
    Melbourne
    That wrecked photo is quite an old one, as the car was crashed by a BMW mechanic during an engine test/service (for those of you who may not know, the McLaren F1 has a BMW engine). A similar thing occurred with Ralph Lauren's F1 LM last year when during a BMW engine service, a mechanic crashed it into a wall. The Australian F1 was sent back to the McLaren factory for repair (was put back into production to repair the front end, in approx the mid 90s). I know that Wills has a private racetrack (a friend of mine has been to his place and shown me photos) and apparently he has an Enzo now (and obviously not the F1 anymore). So maybe the crash occurred there.

Also in Wills' ownership the F1 had its wheels painted the same as the body colour but now with the new owner, it had been re-painted the "original" colour. Some of you may have noticed here: (pg 9, 5 posts down)
    http://www.*************/PitLane?viewThread=y&gID=2&fID=0&tID=37894&bottom=80
    Those photos were taken before Raftis got the wheels repainted.
    (compare those in the link to some of the 2005 Melbourne GP photos)

If you're all wondering why my profile is not filled out, I have been meaning to join fchat for a while and only managed to do it now to reply to this thread; I will fill it in later.

22. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Can't wait. Are you someone famous?

23. F40LMGTC

F40LMGTC Formula 3

Mar 15, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    GIL MATTHEWS
    Raftis is a car salesman. You have to expect the worst if you buy a car from a car salesman. (although my dealings with Tony have been quite good). The current owner, I believe, is Barry Fitzgerald from Melbourne. Barry's a nice guy, (I bought my F40 from Barry), and I wonder if he knows all this stuff.
    Probably NOT.

24. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    #25 ferrarifixer, Jul 24, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    There's a lot of high profile cars around with hidden histories, but so long as the repair is good, does it really matter?

In many cases with hand built cars, the repairs can actually mean the car ends up being better than when built.

I've had a good look over the Mc, and it's in great shape. Allan has driven it and says he'd have it over an Enzo any day. The factory repaired it.

If you wanted one, it's as good as any.

I'd be more worried about buying damaged low end/everyday cars, yet people do it all the time.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login