Rolex = BMW of watches? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Rolex = BMW of watches?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by ryalex, Dec 9, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. G-Car-Man

G-Car-Man Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    South of Boston
    Full Name:
    Greg K
    Is this a really old thread re-brought to life? Anyways... I was sitting here looking at my non-date Submariner and wondering why it loses a minute a month just before I opened this thread... I just like the way it fits on my wrist whereas my Datejust seems too small now. I have to second the quality of Breitling (recently purchased a montbrillant with the moonphases) and it is a tremendous watch. I perceive the quality as better than Rolex but have no way of proving that statment; it 'feels' like it is better quality if that makes any sense... My only complaint would be that I can only wear the watch with short sleeves b/c it is such a monster; I think the Montbrillants are small (41mm) compared to most Breitlings also!!!

2. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale

3. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale

4. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Here's a 268lb, 6'5" ex-commando complaining about small wrists? :D

5. Westworld

Westworld Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004

I would of told him. How many Rolexs are fake, and could alot of Rolex people buy Pateks? What are the price ranges and production volumes of each brand?

6. 99355F1

99355F1 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    CG
    ****, this thread makes you feel poor.

I have a Seiko Knock-off I bought from a guy in Singapore on ebay for $89. It's titanium, looks good, and tells me what time it is.

7. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    I have both types a Rolex Day/Date 18ct with Presidential and a Patek Phillipe 5035 Annual calendar,as previously mentioned You will not get a PP for $5000 Your best bet would be a rolex GMT Master in half gold or a Submariner in half gold,great watches and a good price.

8. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    wow a thread from yesteryear.

but hey, who needs a watch when you're known as The Human Sundial? :D

but me? i don't like watches... time is the enemy

9. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    Well Ryalex, after two years and 80+ opinions on what watch to get. WHAT THE HELL WATCH DID YOU GET?

10. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    #85 GrigioGuy, Jul 26, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #86 ryalex, Jul 26, 2005

LMAO!!

Well, instead I spent the money on an "education"... which is to say by trying to get a company off the ground to make carbon fiber exterior body panels and having it fail. Actually, I hadn't thought that the money I poured into it could have gotten me the watch I wanted, but apparently it could have. I'm sure most would agree that the myriad lessons learned trying the business idea and failing was a better long term investment than a flashy piece of horological jewellery.

Now I've decided to wait and just use the cheapo watches I have until I get a Panerai Luminor (blue dial, brown leather). I did use the advice of the thread when I looked around.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I hate Rolex. There are so many far more individual choices in that price range. Rolex screams " i just made money and i want to show it"

13. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    I still lust heavily after an all SS Rolex Daytona. Im a car nut, I love endurance racing, I will actually be running in the HSR Rolex enduro events next year and I drive a Ferrari Daytona. I NEED a SS Rolex Daytona!

But, I still dont have one. Cannot find one and have not been willing to pony up $10K for a watch that retails new for $7500.

I hear rumors the Rolex is increasing SS Daytona production and the 5 year wait lists and such may go away. Anyone know anything about this?

Anyone have any leads or tricks to getting a decent deal on one??? I would probably pay $9K.... maybe. ?

Terry

14. Westworld

Westworld Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004

Do you have really be wealthy to purchase a Rolex?

15. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    No, just gullible.

16. ETW

ETW Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Rolex Shmolex... All you need is a 44mm Panerai

17. Forzaholics Anonymous

Forzaholics Anonymous Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2004
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mike B
    I like the Sea Dwellers and Subs. They're good old fashioned toolwatches. I beat the living crap out of mine and subject them to everything from sub zero temps to 6 atm pressure and they just keep on ticking and ticking and ticking, year after year after year. A Daytona in either SS or SS and 18K is next on the list of toys.

I am NOT into Cartier, Chopard or any of those. I do like Ulysse Nardin, IWC, Chronoswiss, Omega, some Pateks, APs, Panerais and a Montblanc Flyback chrono of all things. Alain Silberstein......for some reason, those are growing on me and I don't know why.

Stainless or two tone for me only. No 100% gold allowed on my wrists and none of this diamond paving either.

18. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I love my old Tag. I don't even know the correct name for it. It's the one they used to make that looks like a sub mariner. It has been through so much and it still looks great. I have fallen against brick walls with it on and there is not one scratch in the crystal.

I have a Cartier panthere I wear when I dress up b/c it is small and light for an all ss/gold watch.

I like the Rolex daytona but I think I would go with the automatic Tag carrera.

I would really like to have something automatic but thin with a leather band and a very simple face. Kind of like this one. http://www.vacheron-constantin.com/images/famille_p/42002/p_42002.jpg

More things to add to the list of things I hope to acquire someday. LOL

19. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #94 ernie, Jul 27, 2005
  20. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    If you want a very strong durable watch rolex is the way to go. I have a machine shop and spend a decent amount of time out on the floor and am constantly banging my Stainless GMT11, have worn this watch every single day for 8 years and it still looks brand new. Have a two tone GMT11 that I where at night and weekends with plenty of time in my hot tub and beach and have never had any water related issues. Downside is they are not all that accurate and I reset to the atomic time on a weekly basis, and it's usually off a couple minutes every week

21. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    i once had a GMT 1 I took it back to the reatailer for servicing and told Them about the inaccuracy(which was similar to yours)when it came back it had been adjusted and told perfect time,pity I had had it for about 14 Years when it did!!!

22. Blackbird4life

Blackbird4life Formula 3

Jul 8, 2005
    Usher just made a 1 million watch for himself............its only money these days right?

23. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    5 + 2 newer ones = 7

I think I have a problem...

24. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I've got a 1990 SS oyster perpetual...superb quality, very conservative by today's standards, keeps as good time as quartz, and will still be tickin when I'm gone. Hardly ever wear it. The $80 ebay carbon-fiber knockoff whatever with the horse shield is uncannily well made, realistic, and much flashier.

25. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC

If you find out anything, please let the rest of us know :) I've been looking for a SS Rolex Daytona for YEARS on many different continents. I do not know why I want this watch so badly, but I do. The waiting list is BS IMHO. I recently went into Wempe in Paris and the person laughed when I asked for one, but he did say if I bought a million dollar ring, he would give me one (jokingly). Various stores probably have a few in the back for very good customers. Maybe if I get really desperate I'll pay the $10,000 for one, but the thought of it doesn't sit very well with me. The watch isn't even that great, my IWC DaVinci is much more of a watch, but damn, something about the SS Daytona...