mondial T fuel door selenoid stuck | FerrariChat

mondial T fuel door selenoid stuck

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by NYCFERRARIS, Jul 25, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    Hi, the cable release won't budge it, I got the fuel door open but now am looking for a fix and a new selenoid is $ 300!...any cheaper or used sources or can these be rebuilt? It is F- part number 60868600. it is really chessy to have the fuel filler door flapping open when driving, or worse, i have to use a feeler guage or piece of cardboard to open the door at the gas station...repeat the "plunger" is frozen in the "out" extended position so the cable pull is useless

2. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Remove the solenoid.
    Spray the plunger with PB Blaster or Kroil.
    Let it sit overnight.
    Best if you can repeat a couple of times.

Should be able to free up the plunger.

Slide the plunger out. Clean corrosion out of plunger & inside of solenoid with green scotchbrite.

Reassemble solenoid

Oil with a light oil like 3-in-1.

Check to make sure that it works by putting 12V across the contacts while holding firmly as it'll want to jump.

If all is OK, reinstall & enjoy your gas cap.

3. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    I sprayed with wd-40 in situi with no effect, will go more radical cleaning as you suggest....i have replaced a number of these trunk, hatch selanoids etc and they are the simpleset of mechanisims sort of what we as kids did in 5th grade for science experiments with coils and magnets and a battery...BUT they are so damn expensive it is crazy and get stuck so easily and are so annoying and embarrasing when they do....I really like the cable latches on the 308 in the cockpit, simple....you'd think Ferrari would understand that if we can shift a 5-spd box we have the strenght the pull a cable to open the hood or can have the strength in our little pinky to open a fule filler door!!!

4. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Well, all is relative.
    If the cables aren't kept welll lubricated, the 308 levers break the pivot tab of of their bezels.

However, solenoids should be more reliable than that.

Another possibility is that whatever the solenoid is pulling on is what's stuck.

WD-40 is primarily a water displacement. It's not a particularly good penetrating oul. Also, it's petroleum based & can cause some plastics to swell. (Is the hole the solenoid's plunger slided in plastic?)

5. ferrarilou

ferrarilou Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    US
    Full Name:
    Lou Menditto
    As a temporary bypass, you should be able to disconnect the cable at the solenoid end and just use the manual release until you have the solenoid fixed.

Lou

6. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    so cable release won't budge the thing...if cable (emergency) release worked, I would prefer to use that and not bother with the switch but it somehow froze int he closed (sticking out) position..won't release even after disconnect from harness and wd-40...Verell understood right away the problem and I will try his fix before pony up some 300+ for a new one

7. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    OK, got the selanoid free of the body (took a minute) but can't free it from it's hidden recess since I can't figure out what size the tiny nut that holds the emergency release cable to the sleanoid....it is on a blind area and seems very small I have pretty much gone through my metric nut driver...I will start working with a mirror ( dentists would probably make great f-mechanics...or vica versa)...but is someone been through this , I could save some frustration.

Does the plunget come out of the body or is it secured with a spring inside or something...I am determined not to pay 300+ for a new item....( hey I got to win one of these ferrari parts "wars" sometimes)

8. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Usually solenoids have the plunger acting against a spring that returns them to their unactuation position when power is removed from the coil. There's typically a mechanical limit that keeps the plunger from coming all the way out of the coil housing.

9. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I took the solenoid out of my QV gas cap last year trying to find an electrical issue (the plunger of mine was not frozen). The problem turned out to be at the switch, not the solenoid. I remember it being a pain to get out, but once out, it was very simple, just a rectangular unit with a steel rod in it. The rod is retained. If it's stuck, it should be pretty easy to free up. I'm guessing it had a lot of water contact and rusted a bit. Hopefully you can get it apart to clean it up with scotchbrite. That will probably take care of it.

I wish I could be more help.

Birdman