First time Ferrari purchase! Need Advice Please! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

First time Ferrari purchase! Need Advice Please!

Discussion in '360/430' started by fourseasonsandles, Jul 18, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFabio81

FerrariFabio81 Karting

May 24, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Fabio Secaira
    You make a really good point there Doug (and Greg). If you do get a good rate on your financing, say 6% or so, it makes a lot more sense to invest the cash somewhere else, just as long as you're getting a higher percentage as return on the investment.

But anyway, I guess it all comes down to how much you can afford, or feel comfortable with, on a monthly payment.

2. tmwight

tmwight Rookie

Jul 19, 2005
    i purchased a 1999 355 SPIDER used four years ago. It has been the best car I have ever owned, but not the cheapest. Exhaust manifolds go out every 15K miles or so. The seats need to be moved up and down carefully. It does bottom out if you aren't careful (and I am not.) It had 3000 miles, and now 34,000. It is fast, sounds fabulous and looks sexy. The 360 is fast, looks dumpy and sounds more mundane. I am selling mine for a 575 SA.

3. tmwight

tmwight Rookie

Jul 19, 2005
    You sent me the NADA.com which indicates $25,000 more at retail than the local dealer is offering me...... thanks that was helpful. I paid $160K in late 99 or early 2000. Way over MSRP. I wanted it and it has been worth it fun-wise. If I get $70K I'll not be happy, but around $90K -- meaning a $70,000 cost plus maybe $20,000 maintenance for almost 4 years and 30,000 fabulous miles is great. 355 prices obviously are great now for a buyer.

4. fourseasonsandles

Jul 15, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    Aaron

hey thanx for the info. forgive me im not too good with engines and so on. but how can an exhaust manifold "go?" they just get too hot and burn up? just curious. what does something like that cost to replace? when i finally make a decision on this i plan on putting some miles on it like i mentioned in an earlier post. i dont think its right to purchase such an amazing machine and let it sit in your garage. looking for a long term purchase and im sure ill be putting plenty of miles on it. im definitly not scared of the maintenance but im very much a numbers orientated person and i eat up as much info as i can before taking the plunge so to speak;)

hope the NADA.com site helps you out. i usually go by that because thats what most dealers around here go with. always a good idea to know what your car is worth before trading it in

5. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Aaron,

After all the advice given, I would now definitely encourage you to hold onto the $40K cash.

You'll need it for the repairs you have mentioned!

6. fourseasonsandles

Jul 15, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    Aaron

after getting advise from a variety of people including this bored it is starting to make sense to me also to finance the car 100% and hang onto my money for repairs or just as you said, if i chose to refinance. im going to take the time to find what i really want in a fcar and dont plan to settle for less. im sure itll take some time to do it. but why settle for something that you dont really want or wont enjoy! thank you again for all of your help and ill be back with updates im sure!

7. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    why not buy something you can afford? as tough as it is, facing reality is worth learning. invest and save [and tithe], and when you build sufficient net worth, THEN buy pricy toys, when you actually deserve them. the younger you start saving the sooner that time will come.

i know i sound like a father, but i delayed my own net worth by pissing it away until i was 39... please don't follow my example.

8. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Check out this thread on the General Discussion forum of this board. A bit of discussion on both sides for someone who has some second thoughts *after* you buy a car that consumes a huge amounts of your assets.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68071

Ferrari's are great cars and well worth it. But what else are you giving up to have it now versus later?

9. carlagio

carlagio Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2005
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Carla G.
    I just bought it. It has Tubi, Red brakes calipers and the SF Badges with Challenge grill. Was that called the Saglietti Pkg with the fender sheilds and Challege grill?
    I was curious what this listed for back in 1999.

10. secs

secs Rookie

Sep 8, 2004
    "then buy the 355. It's a great car and as others have mentioned, and the 99 is the best of the bunch"

Just curious... In speaking with Ferrari NA, they have said that the 98 & 99 MY 355's are identical cars. The valve guide isssue was solved from Assembly # 27689 & up.
    Aside from a 99 being the last model year, what makes it superior to a 98. The list price of the 99 vs. the 98 was even the same.
    Thanks

11. fourseasonsandles

Jul 15, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    Aaron

secs... where are you in NY? NYC? im upstate in rochester

12. secs

secs Rookie

Sep 8, 2004
    I am in lower Westchester, not far from White Plains or Greenwich, CT

13. 9software

9software Karting

Mar 31, 2004
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    http://www.ferrariclub.com/msrp/index.html?rsort=Year

Says the 98 6sp 355 spider was $138, so add $10k if it has F1. Plus they were probably selling over sticker.

14. 9software

9software Karting

Mar 31, 2004
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Make sure you have it checked by a Ferrari mechanic as there are many issues with the 355 such as exhaust manifolds, valve sleeves, etc. Maintenance can be a headache.
    I would go with Mike's suggestion and try to spring for a 99 Euro 360. They're in the $90-100k price range especially if you find one with around 20k miles. Resale will be much higher and you probably won't have to spend a dime other than scheduled maintenance.
    Plus the 360's a much faster and more solid car.

15. fourseasonsandles

Jul 15, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    sorry to disappoint a lot of you guys, but ive decided to take the money i have and flat out invest it in a new 2006 Subaru STi. its a no compromise purchase. i can get every option i want as well as aftermarket parts and not have to worry about maintenance. just seemed like a more logical and cost effective choice for me than going with the F-car. although that still doesnt stop me from being jealous of all of you that still have an F-Car;)

one thing though.. if any of you have ever been on the NASIOC forum.. theyre not nearly as nice as all of you guys! i was trying to find out some information and people are just rude over there. so ill make sure to stick around and chat whenever possible! talk to you all soon!

16. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Congratulations! Being worry-free about your purchase helps a lot in enjoying it. I have a friend with a WRX STi as a daily driver and he loves it.

P.S. "invest" is not the right word to use no matter how much you like the car :). Seeing it as an expense, which it is, will help you keep your priorities straight.

17. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Save another $6-$7k and buy a 348 outright. They are a real bargain and are very similar (although more raw) to the 355. Unless you don't like the looks, join the brotherhood...
    :)
    BT

18. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I would save about 5K more and buy a good 328. Everyone has good experiences with these cars and you will get your feet wet. They are also the cheapest to maintain Ferrari so far unless the 430 pans out as advertised. I have a 328 and a new 430. I am actually struck by how similar they feel in overall steering and balance despite the enormous performance improvement. 355's are great driving cars, but they do have a number of mechanical issues including valves, headers, cylinder liners, catalytic converters, bypass valves, shrunken leather and expensive, engine out service to go along. Be patient if you don't want an earlier car. 360's will be cheaper to buy as time goes along and maybe cheaper to own in the long run.

Dave

19. Jack(LA)

Jack(LA) Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Los Angeles
    #44 Jack(LA), Sep 1, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Aaron,

The STi is a great purchase -- you'll love it! I've got one in the family.

If you want to get some good info about the STi and possible mods from a friendly Forum, visit: www.iwsti.com ALL STi ALL THE TIME!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I also have a 2004 STI I use as a daily driver and my main track car also. I nicknamed it "ego-buster" becuase I can reel in almost anything on track day--Vettes, M3's, vipers and 355's. With 3 sets of wheels/tires it can be a winter car, street performer and track car. A great package!

Dave