DeRethy 330 at auction | FerrariChat

DeRethy 330 at auction

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Bryanp, Jul 28, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I was flipping thru my recent catalog of the cars to be auctioned at Auburn, IN by Kruse and came across one of the 4 DeRethy 330 GTC Speciales. Does anyone know which one it is? 10107? It is black, but the picture is too small to see the type of engine vent or whether it has the pop-up lights.

I wonder why someone would choose to auction this rare Ferrari at Auburn only two weeks after the Monterey auctions. There appear to be exactly 2 other Ferraris at this huge auction - a 1970 Queen Mother and a 2002 360 Spyder amidst the masses of 47 Woodies, 83 Vettes, 68 Camaros, etc. Not exactly a place where hot-blooded Ferrari buyers would be amassed.

now, where did I put that extra half-million?

2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
  3. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I have tried to track these cars w/ some frustration. Here's what I have on the 330 GTC Berlinetta Speciales - and it's almost entirely from Bluemel and Prunet. All were originally silver-blue which makes picture identification a bit harder. I don't put 09571 into this group even though it is called one of the "Speciales" - other than it's nose and instrument cluster, it looks like a stock GTC.

09439 - original Princess De Rethy car. Brussels Salon 1967. Borranis. 2 rows of 5 small vents in bonnet. 365 California-type pop-up driving lights. Budge bar on front bumper. Over-riders on back bumper. Recent photos at barchetta.cc (2003).

09653 - Geneva Salon 1967. Dr. deBakey car. Borranis. 2 rows of 5 small vents in bonnet. 365 California-type pop-up driving lights. Budge bar on front bumper. Over-riders on back bumper. Prunet book p.356.

10107 - Maria Daliska (sp?) car. (Blackhawk says originally for Barilla (7/05)). Borranis. Two 365GTC-type vents in bonnet. No pop-up driving lights. Budge bar in front bumper. (Blackhawk photos do not show bar (7/05)) No over-riders on back bumper. Now black.

10241 - Dr. dePalma car. Originally 10-hole alloys (now Borranis). Two 365GTC-type vents in bonnet. No pop-up driving lights. No budge bar in front bumper. No over-riders on back bumper. Bluemel photos in a Cavallino from 2003 (can't recall the # but it's the issue w/ the breadvan on the cover.)

This link, http://www.geocities.com/fgto288/330.html , show what could be 10107, but I think the engine bay vents are the two-rows-of-5 and not the 365GTC-type, but it is really hard to tell in these photos. This would definitely be 10107 if I am wrong about the vents. It is lacking the pop-ups lights which eliminate 09439 and 09653.

Another question is, if the owner of 10107 has consigned it to Blackhawk for Monterey weekend, then why would it also be consigned to Kruse to be auctioned at Auburn two weeks later? (Auburn is just such a strange choice of venue to unload a rare Ferrari).

I am wondering if the car in the Kruse ad might be 09653. I have not seen any pictures of 09653 other than in Prunet's book (where it is silver) which would be a several decades old - it could be black now. I have pics of the other three cars from within the last 2 years. The car in the geocities link above is not 09653 since it lacks the pop-up lights.