FI 512 boxer? | FerrariChat

FI 512 boxer?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by fatbillybob, Jul 29, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Hi guys,

Who knows what the rock bottom value is of a 512bbi fuel injected boxer is? I'm looking for the low price where you would go home from work early, drain the bank account and show up at the sellers door with cash price right now!

Thanks!

2. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    I guess that depends if you want to be able to drive it home,
    or have to tow it home?

3. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    unless you are nuts like me and like to work on the cars, and have a nice lift, bright lights and airtools. a cheap BBis going to cost more in the long run than a well sorted, really nice one that you can just jump in and drive. trust me , i have been looking for over a year. the BB is probably a better overall "useable" car than a carb Countach, but i want the latter , just to taste and see what they are like. i go through cars faster than most folks!

4. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    O.K this one is a low miles driver, everything works, about a 70 point car. so... how much?

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

FBB - I have the low-down on a BBi for <50K. Contact Wade Nunez at AutoCorsa (www.autocorsa.com)

6. grudk

grudk Karting

Mar 29, 2005
    Manhattan Beach
    I know of one without DOT release for <50, '84 with 35K miles. Cosmetics a bit rough, but runs well. Talk to Karl at Blackhorse Motors in L.A.

A few have gone at auction for quite a bit less, but that's not typical

7. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Gee....those are some pretty low numbers. I thought the 512 was a hot ride. It sounds like the 512 is in the gutter of the 12cylinder cars eh?

8. westmfg1

westmfg1 Rookie

May 1, 2005
    Deadwood

$70-$75k, a cherry BBi $80-$90K+.

Have not heard of a running BB for less than $55k in the past few years, this <$50k car must be a rough car. It's easy to put $10k in a nice one let alone a thrashed car.

9. grudk

grudk Karting

Mar 29, 2005
    Manhattan Beach
    The one I drove for <50 (50 asking, so I'm assuming it can be had for less) was actually pretty comparable to others I've seen at 65-75 asking

But I checked with Dick Merritt and there was no DOT release. Now, that may become irrelevant as the car gets older. But now, it does raise at least the possibility of seizure or denial of insurance claims. But it has been here for over 20 years, so...

Prices are gradually moving up, it seems to me, but some buys are far better than others. In the long run, may be cheaper to pay more for a car that just had a ton of work, though. At least, that's conventional wisdom.

Need coffee... too much wine last night. ugh

10. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Just curious; seizure by whom ? Does this mean the car cannot be licensed ?

11. westmfg1

westmfg1 Rookie

May 1, 2005
    Deadwood
    If this <$50k Boxer is truly comparable to $65-$75K cars it could easily be sold for a $10k profit at $60k quickly, why has it not sold?
    More than likely it needs a lot of cash to make it right.

Their are few Boxers for sale at anytime anyway and even fewer with asking prices <$70k in the past 2 years, most are in the upper $70s for a decent car then above that for nicer ones, I am sure a car could show up at a great deal from a seller being in a deparate situation but these are gone quickly.

I wouldn't be concerned with DOT, any car before 1980 can be imported regulation free, and DOT could care less about a 20 year old car. Insurance is usually stated value and I have yet to hear of a claim denied from a car having a euro vin.

12. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Theoretically, the car is here illegally and can be seized by US Customs. It is not likely at this point, but you never know.

I imagine if there was ever a large (i.e. total loss) insurance claim on it, an on-the-ball insurance company might disallow it based on it not being here legally.

13. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David
    if it is not registered it is not worth much in any condition .I would not bother chances are the car will be crushed at some point- probably cannot export it anywhere without papers and is only good for parts.There was a black 512 a while back in southern ca . guy could not get rid of it. probably stolen! In this case you need stinkin papers . MUST PASS Dick Merrit.I checked out 6 Boxers before i made a decision from super cheap to tops - learned everything i could during the way and grey market cars will break you if unknowledgable!!

14. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal

I know of Dick Merrit. What is his connection to the 512..does he run the 512 registry or something? How is he contacted and what do you do...give a vin #. Also, all 512's are grey market right? So anyting titled in a state had to at one time pass the DOT etc... so once titled are papers still needed? When I registered my euro mondial grey car in kali they never asked for DOT release since it was titled before. Did rules change or???? Having owned a grey car I have never had any problems. Are there more problems you are experiencing other than title issues? Thanks for the info.

15. grudk

grudk Karting

Mar 29, 2005
    Manhattan Beach
    Dick Merritt is a 'Ferrari guy/tifosi' that works for the DOT -- extremely helpful

You can call him with the serial # and he'll let you know if a car is here legally or not

202 366-5300
    202 493-2266 FAX

Cars that are not DOT legal are potentially subject to seizure, though I agree it's not likely. The car I looked at for under 50K was road-registered. IMO, that's a fair price for a car in running condition that needs some cosmetics. I have seen rougher cars with asking prices FAR higher, in an ongoing search for the right car at the right price. Would have bought it if not for the DOT issues. What bothers me is insurance. If, as mentioned above, you have a big loss, it could be denied. Worse, if you get in an injury accident, you could find yourself naked to claims far higher than the value of the boxer. It has happened before -- one case in Florida last year with an illegal Lotus Elise (road registered somehow but imported as a 'race' car). Would never underestimate the investigative powers of lawyers and insurance companies when it comes to big money.

16. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David
    Do a search under Dick Merrit and California Boxer registration . Should answer all your Q.