The return of the Dino? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

The return of the Dino?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by WJHMH, Jun 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Should Ferrari reintroduce the Dino?

1. Yes!

2. No!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. cavallino33

cavallino33 Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Isn't Maserati kind of supposed to be the cheaper "ferrari" in the Fiat line up?

I guess if they keep it as a seperate brand like the original Dino it would be ok, but I don't think they'd do that. I think it'll devalue the brand too much. I'm not a current ferrari owner but I'd rather an F-car be financially unobtainable for me than have it become like the overly common 911.

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    FIAT took Maserati back from Ferrari. Ferrari will be floated at some point, so it'll be largely independent, so it needs to build a model line to stand on its own.

i predict it'll be six cylinders (people are doing some AMAZING stuff with six cylinders these days!) but it better be priced to compete with the 911.

doody.

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    "...I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER." --Groucho Marx

4. Westworld

Westworld Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    Why not just expand production of the 430 model if they are so concern about profits?

Ferrari should create a seperate line, in my view. This could be a big win for the other brands.

5. targanero

targanero Formula 3

May 31, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Simon
    exactly right!

Does Ferrari really have to follow Porsche, Aston, and Lamborghini's lead now unlike they've ever done in the past 55 years? The day Ferrari exists primarily to build road cars is the day the F1 team should stop racing.

6. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    $200k? The base price on the 430 that I have on order is $165k, I was told. Not cheap but definitely not $200k.

7. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I do. Expecially if it's in a 380-400 hp Dino.

8. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    So I guess all of us poor sap's have to suffer with owning a 308 GT4???

:p

Remember, if it wasn't for the GT4 and it's V-8, you wouldn't have your 355!

:D

9. WarrenF355

WarrenF355 Formula 3

Dec 29, 2004
    Newburgh, IN
    Full Name:
    Warren M. Rogers
    remember-- its a 355, not a dino. The dino is special as the only V6 Ferrari. What would you think if they built a V10 or V8 TR? If they are going to mine their heritage, they should stay true to it........

10. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    I for one can't wait for the new Dino! About a year ago, Ferrari held a survey asking which car F-Car owner's considered to be the most beautiful Ferrari. The 246 Dino won. Surprise. That little "Almost a Ferrari" has proven itself to be quite the superstar among all of the elite 12 cylinder traditionals. Also, I'm always amazed by the incredibly pretentious behavior exhibited by so many people on this site! You should buy a Ferrari based on the merits of what it is...an amazing technological achievement (in the car world, anyway) and a thing of beauty. I've enjoyed my Ferrari, and would want one if I was the only person on the planet, or if every other person on the street had one! A Ferrari is wonderful by itself, and does not need our collective fears about continued exclusivity to maintain its greatness!

11. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Please Ferrari, do not make the dino. Judging by the F430... think of how it will look!!!

12. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    I agree with you. If Ferrari produces a Dino it should have six cylinders. I am glad the article mentioned a mid-engine layout. With the way Formula One is going Bernie may tell the teams to use a V6 in the future(I am joking of course but anything is possible with that guy).

I hope the new Dino incorporates some of the original Dino's look. However, I don't want the car to look too similar to the past Dino. That isn't fair to those who have an original Dino. Also if the car is priced at 100,000 Euros it will be considerably more in the States. So I doubt you will see a Dino at every corner. It will still be exclusive and who knows, it may be one of the most rewarding Ferrari's to drive since it will most likely have a six speed manual and maybe not have stability and/or traction control.

With Maserati looking to produce less expensive cars and sell more vehicles I see them setting up seperate dealerships (possibly with Alfa Romeo in the future). Most Ferrari dealerships aren't set up to service a lot of cars. If Maserati produces a new lower priced coupe/spyder and an SUV(which is very possible) the current dealers won't be able to service all of them. So if Ferrari dealers can't take on the additional cars they will probably have to sell their Maserati franchise. Ferrari should reward those same dealers who spent a fortune setting up the Maserati dealerships with a lower priced car to sell. The Dino would be the perfect car for that. I don't care if it is a Ferrari Dino or is a sepearate brand called "Dino". We all know that Ferrari will be engineering it so that is all I am concerned about.

13. Leweyb

Leweyb Karting

Apr 24, 2004
    East Hampton
    I had a 246, and I've promised my son, (he's five now) that he will get a 246 when he graduates college. Planning a full restoration on a late model 246 when I find one.

Nothing sounds like that 6....nothing...

14. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I do!

15. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    i have a dino and would love to have a modern dino, especially at the price point mentioned. i do not think it would hurt ferrari sales (in fact, it would help) or image. if a modern dino was created that looked like the old dino 246, i would buy one and drive it everyday.

my wife drive a maserati qp everyday. it has been VERY reliable and trouble free. a new dino, if the same was true, would help ferrari streghthen its market postion without losing its current clientale, not only in the us, but worldwide. think about the number of countries that have taxes and restrictions on certain types of cars base don price, horsepower, and engine size. the dino could open many more markets to ferrari.

16. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    But that's exactly what they did with the original and those are now one of the most coveted models. Will depend on whether the car is really original (and gorgeous) like the original or is just a cynical marketing ploy (like some other recent releases)

17. triXXXter

triXXXter Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Ft. Worth TX
    Full Name:
    Steven G. Ogden
    So that's where they got the new F430 front air ducts.

I don't own a ferrari but I thing a new "Dino" V6 that was a bit slower than the F430 and a little more "raw" (no F1 Gearbox etc.) would do well for sales and image. At $130k, they're not going to be a whole lot of them and plus they can limit the # of them made to help they're exclusivity. A Targa, light, High reving V6, with a more sporty side would be good fun little car.

18. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'd argue that the 246 succeeded despite that poor branding decision (sorry, Marketing guy speaking here...) The Dino GT4 was not as widely loved, and ultimately Ferrari had to lose the Dino brand and stick prancing horses on it to resuscitate sales until they could launch the Mondial.

You're right, if the new 'Dino' is really original and gorgeous they won't be able to keep up with demand.

19. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'll bet right now if the car comes to pass and is priced at say 125K, they will sell all they can make and they will be wait listed just whether 6 cyl or 8. A small 2200 lb, all aluminum with 300HP model would probably make me a buyer (along with my soon to arrive 430).

Dave

20. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    If its all true i wonder how lamborghini plans on answering the challenge?. Im sure that this will be as fast as the C6 vette, Dodge Viper or the Porsche 911.

Overall i can't wait to see this "affordable" Ferrari.

21. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    To many people the current line of mid-engine v8s are Dinos. V6/V8 whatever, that they are not front engined V12s is what makes them Dinos.

Anyway, for this to happen, there will be no v6. Developing a whole new motor from the ground up would mean too high of an MSRP -or- high production volume, neither being a good option.

The only way to have a reasonably priced (around $125k) new model with Ferrari-like production figures would be to use the abandoned Maserati chassis and variant of an existing motor, the 360 powerplant comes to mind.

22. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    The linked article at the very beginning of this thread stated a possibility of powerplant, or chassis, or both, sharing with lesser brands in the Fiat empire (namely Alfa).

23. bretm

bretm F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2001
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Bret
    I'd be into a small midengined V6. It would be nice to have an Italian size Ferrari once again, something we haven't seen since what, the 355? I'm sure others disagree, but IMO things have gotten a bit too American-esque in the Fcar lineup, the 8 cylinder models in particular. If I wanted a Corvette, well, I'd go buy a Corvette...

24. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Will it be FE or ME ? I dont want another GT car ..

25. pmorin

pmorin Karting

May 14, 2004
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    P. Morin
    Did you know that they did make 4 cylinder Testa Rossas back in the '50s (and 12 cylinder versions too) ? And the 308 GT4 was badged as a Dino when it came out. Also, back in the turbo days of Formula 1, Ferrari used 6 cylinder engines and the F1 cars didn't have a Dino badge on them.