Help, wheel offsets, sizes for '72 Dino 246 | FerrariChat

Help, wheel offsets, sizes for '72 Dino 246

Discussion in '206/246' started by Gary@Ronal, Jul 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gary@Ronal

Gary@Ronal Karting

Mar 11, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    HELP---has anyone upsized their wheel/tire package on a late model DINO 246GTS? I've done a search and can't find complete info....
    Need help w. your sizes:
    1. Wheel sizes front and rear w. offsets?
    2. Tire sizes front and rear?
    Also, if anyone has switched factory wheels from other Ferrari's to this one, please provide info above, and if any spacers, modifications were required--tire sizes too.
    Thanks in advance for any help...and our customer too!

2. yasmin

yasmin Formula Junior

Gary,
    I've been looking at the same option. I was told by various people that you can fit original 16" 308 and 328 wheels (16x7 front and 16x8 rear) without mods. I hope this info is correct because I intend buying a set in the next month.

3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

stock size is 205/70-14 tire diameter is 25.4" section width is 8.2" tread width is 6.1" they were installed on both the campy and cromodoro rims. My guess is you got a little less diameter on the campy. (And that is a wild ass guess.)

Upsizing to 16" I get the following as a close match to original.

205/60-16 are 25.7" diameter 8.2" sec width and 7.1" tread width. (1% variation on speed)

205/55-16 are 24.9" diameter 8.4 sec width and 7.1" tread width. (2+% variation)

Can't help with the offset.

DM

4. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    i am not certain about the 16" wheels, but have seen plenty a dino fitted with the 14" 308 style wheel (which uses the same tire).

5. Gary@Ronal

Gary@Ronal Karting

Mar 11, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Does anyone have complete information for the above car model??

6. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

you might want to repost in the general technical section to get more action.

Most of the guys who visit here tend to be purists, and wouldn't upsize wheels or tires on their Dino.

Dave M,

7. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Gary,

I've been running 16" Gotti wheels on my 246GT for 19+ years. Widths are 8" in front, 8.5" in rear. Front tires are 205/55VR16, rear are 225/50VR16. Tell me how to measure offset and I can give you that. Look at my past posts to see pictures and more info. I have put 134,000 miles on 3 diferent brands of tires. Freeway handling is just beautiful with most any directional tire. Noise and wet handling are diferent.

John

8. AusDino

AusDino Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2005
    Bris
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I run the 308GTB sports wheels 14x7.5 rear and and normat 308GTB 14x6.5 front on my 246GT as my usual non-concourse running wheels. They fit with no modification. The 7.5" wheels have a greater offset.

9. yasmin

yasmin Formula Junior

Ausdino, do you have any pictures of your car ??

10. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
  11. Gary@Ronal

Gary@Ronal Karting

Mar 11, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    John Carboni..you have IM reply....thanks.

12. AusDino

AusDino Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2005
    Bris
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #12 AusDino, Jul 30, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #13 John Corbani, Jul 30, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Gary,

I pulled a front wheel, back wheel and the original spare wheel. Measured them all and weighed them. Made the following sketch which might answer a lot of people's questions. There is nothing magic about the changeover and the wider tires have caused no problems with bearings or anything else. It was interesting to see that there is no weight change. Stock shocks are just fine. Weight was measured on a bathroom scale so is probably off some but relative weights should be OK. Sketch broke up some when shrunk to 640 x 480 but I think it is readable.

Pics of the car are in "found proverbial 246 GTB in a barn" thread among others.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. yasmin

yasmin Formula Junior

This drawing is very helpful for me too !! thanks John

15. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    I re-did the wheels drawing to give a little more info and make it more readable. I posted it in the Technical Q&A forum with the hope that others might get the idea and do something similar for other cars. Search under "Dino 16" wheels, offsets" to find it. It did not make sense to download it here too.

John