Boosting AC on 512M | FerrariChat

Boosting AC on 512M

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by WILLIAM H, Aug 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Its friggin Hot in Miami, I mean really friggin HOT !!!!!!!!!

From 11:30 until 7:30 you dont want to be outdoors. Is there anything I can do to boost the performance of my AC or replace it w a better AC ? Thanks

2. TopElement

TopElement Formula 3

May 14, 2005
    OC & Vegas
    Full Name:
    A Montoya
    You could drive a Toyota when it's hot, AC is good in them!

3. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Many have tried, I believe all/most have failed.

4. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    Get one of them in car fridges that plug in the *** lighter and leave the door open on it all the time ??????????????????????

5. retired

retired Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004
    The problem with most Ferrari A/C units is that we drive the cars to slow. The belt pulley is set up for a high RPM motor (slower compressor speed ot low engine RPMs).
    The faster you go, the better it works. The fix is a larger pulley to drive the compressor faster at low speed (have done this on 400i). The problem, if you run the RPM up to high, the compressor will be very unhappy.
    I do not know the uper limit RPM limit on the compressors. Maybe someone here knows.
    Solution, set the car up for hot weather driving and "put 2x4 under your gas pedal" !!!

6. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Hey Whilliam have you had the freon level checked. You could be low and need the system recharged.

Try doing a seach in the old archives. I remember seeing a DIY thread on A/C a while back. Also if you are still using the R12, this may be the time to switch over to R134

7. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
  8. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I think the compressor can make enough coolth but the problem seems to be the blower speed with most ferraris. Especially your car with no top available you will need to blow alot of air across the evaporator to get a cool feeling. I think there must be some alernative brand blower housing that could be fitted to the car. I would check with Tim Stnaford and see if he has any ideas. They fixed the A/C in my 348 a few months back and it keeps me plenty cool now in Palm Beach. I have read that the recirc. flap may get stuck and reduce the amount of air flow for the system also.
    BT

9. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    If you want to keep your car cool in Miami in the summer, do NOT drive a convertible! Is this rocket science?