308 carb floods after shutdown | FerrariChat

308 carb floods after shutdown

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by BillyD, Aug 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Just put kits in all Webers of 77 308 & after shutdown the drivers side rear carb will burble(for lack of better word) about an ounce of fuel into the right(passenger side) barrell. It doesn't fill all at once, it burbles then in about 10-15 seconds burbles some more til about an ounce of fuel in barrell. Guesses? Bad needle seat? Tho I didn't notice this b4 rebuild it warm starts about the same so this may have been happening all along.
    Bill

2. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Have you checked the float? It probably has a leak in it and could not be shutting the needle valve.

Take the float out, let it air dry for a long time, then stick it in hot water. If you see bubbles appearing from a seam, or the spot of solder on the side where they seal it up after manufacturing, then it's toast. Replace it with a new one.

3. dbcooper

dbcooper Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2005
    Costa Mesa,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Tim Romero
    Sounds like a sinking float to me.could also be float level or needle and seat related.either/or

4. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    the washers that seal the bottom of the float needle seat in these kits are not exact, and if you get them off center, they will leak - ask how i know. while you are checking the float with the air horn off, check to make sure that the (aluminum in most cases) washer under the needle seat is CENTERED.....

5. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    Second.

6. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Thanks to all who answered. I took the top of the offending Weber off & was surprised to see an almost empty bowl instead of an overfilled one. After scratching my head & pondering the problem with a few beers I spotted the problem: I had failed to remove piece of gasket for the idle air bleed that the manufacturer hadn't punched out all the way! I gather this resulted in a suction/gravity feed. Alls well now, thanks again
    Bill