Proper rally clock for Lusso. | FerrariChat

Proper rally clock for Lusso.

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by teak360, Jul 20, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #1 teak360, Jul 20, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am looking for rally dash clocks for my friend's Lusso to do the Tour Auto and other rallys. What is the most appropriate type for this car and does anyone know the best place to find them other than looking on Ebay?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Try Tom Shaughnessy. I know he's bid on some on Ebay, don't know if he has any.

DM

3. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I was thinking about getting a set. Do a web search, there is a great web site that explains all of the options, etc. I will try to post this weekend.

Alberto

4. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
  5. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Hanhart was a German manufacturer of watches and timers, known specifically for producing high quality pilot's watches for the German military.

In the late 1950's / early 1960's, Hanhart produced a distinctive line of timers for the Ferrari factory racing team, known as the Duostop timers. Each model of the Duostops consisted of a combination of two timers, fitted into a metal case. In this metal case, the timers could be used as a handheld timers, worn on a neck-strap or mounted on the dashboard of the car. The Duostops combined a clever design, some unique engineering and a superb quality of construction, all to provide a useful timing device for the Ferrari racing team.

The unique feature of the Duostops was the system of pushers that controlled the timers. In the Two-Stop, these pushers function as follows:

* The largest pusher -- at the top center of the case -- simultaneously pushes the crowns of both of the timers.

* Each of the crowns -- knurled crowns centered above each timer -- controls the crown function of one of the timers.

* Each of the smallest pushers -- one to the side of each timer -- controls the split-second pusher located to the left of each timer. The button to the right of the case controls the left pusher of the right hand timer through a system of two levers enclosed in the case.

The Duostops appear to be unique among vintage rally timers in several respects. They were manufactured for Ferrari and represent an early instance of co-branding a product for a motorsports team. (Remember that in the early 1960's, Grand Prix racing teams were not lending their names to consumer products.) Additionally, the Duostops were designed to be used in multiple modes -- handheld, on a neck-strap, on a timing board or on a dashboard.

6. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
  7. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Hanhart in addition to being a proud supplier to Ferrari was also a proud supplier to the Third Reich. Their timers were used at Dachau in the medical experimentation Department to record how long someone submerged in ice water could survive. They were very accurate. They also helped Luftwaffe Pilots reach their targets on time.

"This long established German watch manufacturer were famous for their high grade, reliable, military Aviators Chronographs supplied to the Luftwaffe during the 1930s & 1940s."

They also helped the German Army and Navy know what time it was.

"RARE 1941'S GERMAN KRIEGSMARINE(NAVY ISSUE)WRISTWATCH,.IT HAS BEEN USED BY KM OFFICER'S FROM 1939 TILL 1944.THE WATCH IS SIGNED "DH850,9DRP7"(DH MEANS"DIENSTUHR-HEER" OR SERVICEWATCH-ARMY.THE 850 IS THE KM CONTRACT ORDER NUMBER.THIS MEANS THAT THE WATCH IS PROPERTY OF THE GERMAN ARMY.IT IS "ON LOAN" WATCH.VERY HARD TO FIND SUCH WATCH,! TAKE A LOOK AT THE VERY SPECIAL CHRONOMETER MECHANISM-IT IS HAND POLISHED ,SUPER HIGH QUALITY ,15J,BREGUET BLUE SPIRAL,PRECISION REGULATOR...THE WATCH IS IN PERFECT WORKING ORDER!"

8. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

Very nice, but how does it mount on the Lusso's console?
    Perhaps by a screw plate?

9. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    #9 Vintage V12, Jul 21, 2005
  10. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
  11. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    #11 judge4re, Jul 22, 2005
  12. Erik330

Erik330 Formula Junior

May 8, 2004
    Ohio
    And Enzo made machine tools and components for the Italian Army.

13. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Or you could buy a Volkswagen and get one of those timers they use for chess tournaments.

14. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I just bought this one today, brand new with the Ferrari logo. I saw a similar set just sell on the UK ebay without the Ferrari logo and in used condition for over $3,600 so I figured this one was a fair deal at $4,000.

15. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Very, Very, Nice.

16. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    You guys are doing the TDF next year ?? GREAT !!! Looking forward to meet u !

17. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Cool. Nice set up. Good luck with it.

18. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #18 teak360, Aug 10, 2005
    Hopefully we will be in Paris in the springtime. I'll let you know.
    The set showed up and is as described. That's just a little piece of dust on the glass.

19. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Very nice. Great find.

20. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    #20 Smiles, Aug 11, 2005
    That's simply gorgeous, Teak.

Does anyone happen to know anything about this earlier rally clock? It's marked "Jaeger Chrono Flite" on the dial, and measures both time of day and elapsed time. It's surprisingly accurate.

I'm planning on making this the centerpiece on my pre-war race car project. Does this clock date from the 1930s? Would it be period-correct?

21. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Hi
    That's a great one but I don't think it's from the 30'ies. A vintage watch restorer can tell you for sure. One thing about those older clocks MAKE SURE THAT THE GLASS IS NOT CRACKED!!! The faces are often RADIOACTIVE and if the face seal/glass is damaged this is a serious issue. There are people who can repair this but you need to find one who has experience.
    Best

22. pistole

pistole Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2005
    Malaysia
    the clocks are absolutely beautiful ....

23. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Jim,

A lot of clocks and watches from the period had radium dials. Short exposure is no big deal as its fairly low level radiation. If one is uncomfortable with radioactivity in their clock, it can be sent out and refinished with non-radioactive material, not as cool as having the numbers glowing brightly all night long though.

The girls that originally painted the numbers on the dials all died from the stuff, but they didn't use any precautions - they painted their teeth with the stuff so that their smiles really glowed!

Now if I could just get my Ferrari's clock to run...

Regards,

Art S.

24. StartedFromTheBottom

StartedFromTheBottom Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 9, 2016
    Europe
    Smiles, colombo2cam and 375+ like this.
  25. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004