Have you EVER burned a kit car owner posing his car as a "real thing"??? | FerrariChat

Have you EVER burned a kit car owner posing his car as a "real thing"???

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Huskerbill, Aug 4, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Reason I am asking is that, after softball last night, one of the guys (one of my neighbors actually) heard I got a Ferrari from his kid (word travels quick with the kids in the neghborhood apparently) and he asked me what kind of motor I have in it.

I told him I have an 8 cylinder 3.2 liter motor and added a few other things. He says, "Do they make a Ferrari with a 350 in it??" I said, "No. never". He said he didn't think so, but one of the guys on the team from before I joined them had a car with all the Ferrari badges that "looked like the Magnum PI car" but it had a 350 in it. Whenever someone would ask what it was, he would tell them it was a real Ferrari.

So I started telling him that the odds were 1000 to 1 that it was a REAL Ferrari as NO Ferrari owner would put a 350 in there and that it was probably a 308 kit car off a Fiero.

So then I was almost wishing that guy was still around so I could ask him a few questions about his car and then burn his ass. Or at least pull him aside and say something like "Listen guy, I own a Ferrari and that thing is NOT a Ferrari. You know it and I know it, so how about NOT lying about it to people anymore. You are just embarrassing yourself." Or something like that.

So anyway, has anyone gotten the satisfaction of owning someone like that?? I am hoping so, cause I would LOVE to hear the stories!!

2. Ferrari330P4

Ferrari330P4 Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2005
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Once i was walking to my car in a mall parking lot and this guy accross from me was walking with his girlfriend to a really obvious fake 288GTO thinking hes cool and everything. as soon as he starts it and begins reving the engine to try and get attention a real lamborghini coutach just pulls into the spot right next to him. it wasn't really a burn but funny none the less

3. loki

loki Guest

Jul 25, 2005
    I had some kid pull up to me at a light one time with a "feraro" that had a body kit on it. He looked over several times and started to talk to me. He asked me where I got the kit from and I really didn't know what to say to him. The light turned green and I just left him in my dust. Took the next turn I could to find to get away from him.

4. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    While I'm not an owner (yet), nor have a fake, this would be compared to those who have fake watches. By pulling him aside, it isn't going to change anything. He will still keep on tellng people it is a Ferrari, when it is not. It is up to the owner to feel special about owning the real thing rather than the onlookers who may or may not know anything about the car, history, nor care at all.

5. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    Why would you want to burn them anyways? If it makes them happy, good for them. I think they're pathetic, and would never ever touch a kit car with a barge pole ... but that does it for the guy. He's pathetic, and can impress his pathetic friends with his pathetic kit car to liven up his pathetic life. But I won't tell him, if that's cool in his book. I'll just be laughing my a$$ off.
    Kit car lovers (and people that can't see the difference) aren't people I look up to anyways ... they can have their fun ... I'll have mine. :)

6. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Ask the guy's girlfriend if she wants to take the Pepsi challenge. He'll fold real quick. ;)

C.

7. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I would imagine the most effective thing to say(in a very genuine tone, lightly) is, "Hey, Im not sure I get it, why do you tell people your car is the real deal? What's the point? If you enjoy it, isnt that the only affirmation you need?"

It can be said very sincerely without being overbearing. I don't think there would be anything else left to say.

8. FerrariF1

FerrariF1 Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2005
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Chris
    who cares what others drive just let them enjoy their kit cars. it is none of your business.

9. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I agree... This is a dumb thread.

10. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    I used to have people ask me if my F40 was a kit car all the time... Pretty funny.
    One time I was at a big car show at the California Speedway. A lot of muscle cars, customs and bikes. Not too much Euro stuff. A teenager and his girlfriend pulled up beside me in a truck. He said "Nice kit car, looks great" I said thanks. he then said "It's not real is it?" So I said Hmm... let's see.....
    Lets look at the engine, Well, as I point to the engine, "It says Ferrari on the intake". He said "Yea, but it's spelled wrong" So I Opened the door and pointed to the VIN tag..... "It's spelled just like this." His Girlfriend sorta smiled. His mouth fell open. I sorta felt like ******.......

At the same show a guy in a Porsche almost drove under a big truck cranking his head as we drove by.... A really strange event...

11. djantlive

djantlive Formula 3

Jun 30, 2005
    I would not burn someone for a kit car. I don't think it's good to embarrass someone and you should seek help if doing so makes you feel a better person.

If someone thinks a real F car is a kit car, I'd have no problem proving otherwise even if that embarrasses the person because he's already embarrassed me in thinking my car is fake.

Bottomline, just because you don't approve what others are saying or doing, you don't have to shatter that person's ego w cold truth. That would make you a total snob. Just walk away knowing you are better than that.

12. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    I saw a guy in a hideous Fiero? Testicleroaster. He was all, thinking he was Hollywood and junk. So I just pointed at his car and laughed, they blew past him, in a real performance car.

13. markymark360f1

markymark360f1 Formula 3

Dec 15, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I have had folks chat with me and try to chat about other Fcars, calling a car he saw a "Ferrari Diablo". I did not correct him.

MM

14. BDP

BDP Rookie

Apr 8, 2005
    A fellow in our neighborhood was washing his Cobra replica. I love the shape of those cars, though, noticed a brake drum at the back of this one. He dug that my son and I stopped to look. When I asked what sort it was he explained, with a bit of pompousness that it was a '66 Cobra made by Carol Shelby. I nodded and left.

Done well that is about the only replica I think is worthy of having. Too bad many are not well turned out and that there are so many.

Brian

15. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I wasn't attempting to burn anyone, however, I did mention one time to a real Cobra 427 S/C owner how authentic his kit looked (I was only about 19 at the time) He was very courteous and explained that it wasn't a kit. He then spent the next 30 minutes showing me how to tell. I felt like a real tool.

I have never since asked anyone whether their car was authentic or not, and probably won't.

As many times as I've had strangers and acquaintances ask "why?" or critique my REAL 348 Spider, I just don't think it would accomplish anything.

16. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Believe it or not, i do know of a Ferrari 308 with a chevy 350 engine in it. The orinigal motor blew and he replaced it with that. The motor has a ton of work it's actually faster than what it was, but to me at least it's not a true ferrari anymore.

17. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    You know you have the real deal and that's all that matters.

A fellow FChatter lives in my neighborhood and he has a perfect looking red Countach replica. I'm not sure what kind of engine he has in it, but it's pretty loud. Someone else real close by has a real black Countach and the sounds are completely different. The real one is about 10 times louder at idle speed.
    Whenever some one tells me they just saw a red Lamborghini Countach in our neighborhood. I just tell them "no you didn't, it's a replica".

I've never met anyone with a replica that actually told people it was real.

18. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Funny, some guy was telling me that insurance must be crazy on a Lamborghini 348. I did not correct him either.

19. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    There you morons go again always trying to show off your manhood. I am so sick of you rich ____ who try to put everyone else down. You show off to the hilt just to impress yourself, I guess. I'm not sure what part of the country you are from but I never met a replicar owner who tried to pawn off their car as an original and I met people all over the US.

At least people from the Midwest usually show admiration to any other car guy if they like thir ride or not. I've seen some pretty bad designs and construction over the years but always complement the owner since they can only do as much as their talent and pocket book will allow them.

Get off your high self imposed morals and become a real CAR GUY. If someone wants to imagine they have a real whatever then let them, you know the difference. Wonder what fakes you have at home, maybe something on your wrist, a painting on the wall, or your wife/girlfriend's fake purse?

Why did I comment, because I own a Daytona Spyder replicar, built from the ground up by me, with no previous experience. But it made it to three NCCC regional concours championships, over 50 first place trophies, three national championships (running custom class) and even made it to (heaven's forbid) numerous Ferrari shows, including the recent Ferrari US national meet and a past Pebble Beach. I'm pround of what I built but don't lie about it. My display sign says it all "Best of Both Worlds" Lines of Ferrari dependability of Chevy - Vette. And yes I could buy me a real Ferrari however, the models I like are of the vintage era and not going to put my money there, real estate is a better investment for me. So who should you burn, try yourself, we could afford to lose a few more morons and replaced with some true car guys.

20. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    Alot of people don't understand why someone would spend all that money on a replica when you could own an older real Ferrari for the same amount of money. That's the case with the replicas I have seen.

You don't have to be rich to own a Ferrari. Most new cars cost more than a Mondial.

If yoou are going to build a car from the groung up, why would you try to make it look like a Ferrari? Why not make a true one off?

21. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    A Vette/Camaro owner being rude on internet? Well, I'l NEVER....!!!!

A true car guy loves a car for it's performance/handling etc. A replica is just for looks. It has NOTHING from an original. A ferrari is first and foremost an engine. So a replica is just for posing. Trying to score poonany or make people think you are wealthy.
    I've seen plenty of replica owners to know most are bottom feeders (no offence to you).

22. billh

billh Karting

May 2, 2002
    central mass
    Full Name:
    Bill Henderson
    That is actually one of the most commonly asked questions for me besides "how fast does it go?"

"Is that a kit?"

"yeah"

"wow, looks great"

"thanks"

23. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    Maybe we need a merge.

24. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini

Pretty strong words there Rick are you sure you want to send that msg out to everyone here? If so then we would need to label all replica owners as the same. (I won't call you a name but that is fine if you want to call us names but remember it is a bannable offense)

oh and how did you get a replica car into Pebble Beach?

25. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    DAYTONARICK

I think you are missing something here. Most of us only get annoyed when others try to pass off their replica cars are being real. I am very surprised you have never heard of anyone doing this before. I personally have seen 3 different individuals try to do this.

There are people on this site, like yourself, who have replica or 'tribute' cars. Thats A-ok with me. I respect the passion you have for it and wish I had the talent to put one together. But like I said before, I highly doubt anyone has a real problem with it until the replica owner tries to pretend the car is something it isnt. Which, as others will attest here, happens.

Its akin to this kind of situation. I play the trumpet. One of the better jazz horns out there is the Bach Strad 43. Now, if I go see a jazz band play here in New Orleans I will look and see what kind of hardware the trumpet player is using. If I asked the guy and he said, "A bach strad 43 lightweight" I would think about how cool that is, and how I would love to get one soon. Now what if I looked closer at the horn and I noticed something off about the engraved Bach symbol? Then I realize the horn is a knockoff that this clown was trying to pass off as real? That would piss me off because essentially the person was misrepresenting(lying) about what they had.

But the fact remains, that horn will never play like the real thing. And shame on anyone trying so hard as to make themselves look foolish. Yet had this same person just said, "oh, this is a knockoff of a bach strad 43, I really love them and wish I had one, so I decided to purchase this as a pseudo tribute to the art" I would give him respect.

See what Im getting at? Nothing wrong with being passionate about cars, but it does get low when one begins misrepresent.

My analogy works for many other items that are often reproduced. Heck, I can sell you this 'original' copy of the Constitution, $30 and its yours!