Lost pwer brakes! 348ts | FerrariChat

Lost pwer brakes! 348ts

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by naag123, Aug 9, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. naag123

naag123 Rookie

Aug 8, 2005
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Alex
    My 248 was running great, shut it off for a moment, and when I started it, it feels like I lost my power brakes! Any ideas

2. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    Did they return? or is it still not working...no brake pressure usually means air in the lines...the question is, how did the air get there....what year is your car?

3. chrisx666

chrisx666 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2004
    YorkshireUK
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    I take it you mean that the pedal is hard and the brakes work, but with no assistance. Can you hear the charge pump running (front of the car) when you turn on the ignition?? (without starting the engine, it might be difficult to hear otherwise).
    It should run for a few seconds (after which the brake warning light goes out). Does the brake warning light or ABS light come on at all?

4. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    What's a 248?

5. naag123

naag123 Rookie

Aug 8, 2005
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Alex
    still not working any ideas?

6. awhite

awhite Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 13, 2005
    still here
    Full Name:
    hmmmm
    If you would fill out a profile, and possibly tell us what year, and when and what happened you might get more responses.

Unless everyone was responding via PM, in which case I will Shut UP!

-A

7. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Had a similar problem with my 328GTS....it was a check valve in a vacuum line to the master cylinder. Mechanic replaced the check valve, fixed. One of the cheaper repairs on the car...

8. TomDial

TomDial Rookie

Aug 6, 2004
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Chris
    If you work the brake a few times with the ignition off and then switch it on again, the electric brake booster pump should work. It is a loud, vibrating sound that gets a little higher and then stops after approximately 20-30 seconds.
    If you don’t hear it, check fuses and relays first.
    The unit itself is very reliable, the connections are first suspects.

9. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Yes, start with checking to see if the abs pump is working - this provides basic pressure to the system, and, consequently, some of the "assist" you feel at the pedal. If you can hear or feel the abs pump working when the key is turned on, then, next to check is the accumulator. The accumulator acts to help with maintenance of the pressurization from pump - the accumulators do fail with some regularity.

10. Storm-Rider

Storm-Rider Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    A typo . . . ?