Mr Clean no-spot car wash | FerrariChat

Mr Clean no-spot car wash

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Dave328, Feb 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    FYI:
    I just bought one of these yesterday. WOW! It's been awhile since something performed exactly as advertised on TV! The spotfree rinse is basically PUR filtered water that evaporates right away and leaves NO spots. It's perfect for that quick wash when you don't have much time. $20 well spent.

Dave
    (of course I have no ties to the mfgr whatsoever!) :)

2. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    Good to know! I've been curious about this product. Thanks!

3. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    No drying? Thats awesome. That will definately cut down on the frequency that i have to apply swirl mark remover! (No matter how '100% cotton' a towel is, it ALWAYS leaves swil marks imo. 'The Absorber' doesnt as much).

4. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yeah. I did my black BMW and it was the coolest thing watching the sheet of water just disappear. I used to use the absorber to, but no matter how careful I was, I always had spots. :( The only downside I can see is the repeated replacement of the filters. But they are only $5 a pop and last for ~10 uses, so I guess it isn't too bad.

The instructions that came with it said that you probably wouldn't save any time the first use because you would be watching the water dry. But the next time, now that I know it works, I can just spray and walk off.

Dave

5. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    Haven't heard of this product. What is it? Would like more information.
    Thanks,
    Scott

6. Ekasilicon

Ekasilicon Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2003
    Here is one link to it. Mr. Clean Car Wash

I saw this on tv a few months ago and it looked pretty neat. Does anyone know if it is in local stores yet, i.e, Walmart, K-Mart, Target?

MJG

7. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I figured this would come up here. Saw it on TV the other day and was totally excited. But, I wonder about their soap/car wash.

Dave, did you use their soap as well. For some reason, I am a bit hesitant about the soap (with dry rinse polymers, what does that mean anyway? Would it affect my wax?). I like my Meguiar's Gold Class. You think it would be dumb to use the "device" with filter to get the minerals out of the water, but use my own car wash and not theirs?

Funny, but I had contemplated many times to buy jugs of distilled water to rinse with at the end of the wash to eliminate this kind of problem. Glad to hear good results with this product.

8. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Don't wash the car in direct sunlight, if you're drying manually. The water evaporates too fast and leaves spots. With the Absorber (synthetic chamois), if a panel dries out and gets spots before you get around to manually drying it, you can use one of those hose nozzles with a "mist" position to lightly wet down the area again, and then dry without spots.

Thanks for the review. I was thinking about trying out the Mr.Clean system on the EVO, which has a lot more surface area to dry than the 328. ;)

I'm also a bit hesitant about their "magic" soap. A friend once tried "spot-free" Cascade on his car, but it strips the wax off.

If the filtered water is sufficient, that's just one more "special" refill you don't need. It may be hard enough to find the filter elements, in a few years.

9. detailman

detailman Formula Junior

May 26, 2002
    Indiana & South Caro
    Full Name:
    David
    I have tried this prodct as well and I think its great only catch is the filter only last about 10 washes or so, which is not bad but just the only draw back

10. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    mjgermane: I bought mine at Walmart

EVartanian/DGS: Their little included FAQ says it will not strip wax. It also says that you can't use any other soap or it will clog. I think that is BS. The Mr Clean soap works quite well, but I too love my Gold Class. The most obvious difference in the soaps is the MC soap is thinner/more watery. I'm going to try cutting down some Gold Class with water to a little thinner consistency and try it. I see no reason why it shouldn't work. They are probably trying to scare you into using their soap.

Dave

11. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    If any are in your area. Publix is running a buy one (for $20), get one free. Publix is a southeastern grocery chain based in Lakeland, FL

12. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Couldnt you wash you car with any soap you wanted with a sponge and then just rinse the car off with the mr clean product?

13. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Tim, try microfiber towels, they work much better.

Dave, thanks for the review! I think I'll go pick one up.

14. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    I bought it last week. I washed the Murci in the shade, the 600 SEL and 575 in the sun. No spots. there was a little dust - like residue on things but not noticeable at first. After it all dries next time I will give the windshield another wipe with my cleaner. My windshield has to be spotless and shine.

aehaas

15. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    I saw the ads as well but thought I'd wait till its not sub-zero here in MA. I suspect I would get "no spots" if I tried it now. But... what I'd get instead would be an ice-sheet :)

16. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    I've tried something similar before, but it was a "Self Drying Car Wash". I think it was put out by Blue Coral, but I haven't seen it recently.

Essentially, it was something about the car wash that made it self drying. It worked similar to what you guys are describing here with the Mr. Clean. The difference was that you rinsed it twice to "activate" the formula.

I wonder if the Mr. Clean system would work with their wash, but without water passing through their filter (IE straight from your garden hose).

17. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    Did anyone try it on black?

18. DMClark

DMClark Karting

Feb 24, 2004
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dean Clark
    From some things I have read it does not.

19. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    J Scott: That's what I used it on. Black BMW 530.

Dave

20. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for the information. Ive been wondering about this product as well.

21. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    Thanks guys. I'm going to give it a try on my Infiniti Coupe. Seems like my hobby is cleaning and polishing the toys but sometimes I just don't have the time to do it the way I really want to. This may be the solution I have been looking for. Nothing worse than a dirty car.