348 windows go down automatically? How about up? | FerrariChat

348 windows go down automatically? How about up?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jrobbins, Aug 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jrobbins

jrobbins Karting

Aug 9, 2005
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    J.D. Robbins
    Maybe I've missed something, but I recently purchased a 348 spider. The windows automatically go down when key is removed, I get out, put up the top, close the doors and the windows are still down an inch or two.

How do I make them go up? If I press the window up button (reopening the door), the windows move a bit but cut out and stop moving.

Are the windows supposed to go up automatically when you close the door or put up the top?

Please advise.

J

2. jrobbins

jrobbins Karting

Aug 9, 2005
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    J.D. Robbins
    It appears that a user privately emailed me that the microswitch in the roof may be defective.

I checked it and indeed it wasn't connecting properly when the roof was up.

I modifed the microswitch so that it will work.

Now the roof works properly (I'm told): windows won't go down when the top is up.

Thanks FerrariChat users!

J

3. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    When the top is up, the windows are supposed to drop an inch (when you shut off the engine) to make it easier to open the doors.

My car, like yours, did the opposite; the windows would only drop an inch if the top was already down (pointless).

So I removed the screws from the black plastic on the top of the windshield, letting me access the microswitch. Snipping the two wires that go to the switch (on the driver's side in the corner on top) solves the problem. Now the automatic drop feature is disconnected. I may have wired those two "snipped" wires together...I've forgotten, though.

Our 348 Owner's Manual shows the switch as being manual...that you press it if you want the windows to drop an inch to help put the top up or down or open the doors...but the Ferrari articles for the rollout of the 348 Spider say that the switch is automatic.

And "Automatic" was what I had. You too, apparently. But the automatic switch seemed to be working backwards from anything useful.

4. jrobbins

jrobbins Karting

Aug 9, 2005
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    J.D. Robbins
    It does seem odd that the windows go down a bit when the top is down.

Is there a way to reverse the operation so that the windows go down only when the top is up? That's how it works on my SLK55.

J