FICO Credit Score? | FerrariChat

FICO Credit Score?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by lesterm, Aug 12, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    What's up with the influx on my FICO score? A month ago it was 812 with zero credit inquiries, and after I got a Cingular phone (which I returned the same day because they had no service in my town - lies!) Cingular apparently made a credit inquiry and my score dropped to 791? Is this normal?

2. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I have heard inquiries lower your score. It doesn't make much sense to me. Though I don't think a drop of 20 pts. makes a difference. I think a score under 650 is a problem that might not get best rates.

3. NY Joe 360

NY Joe 360 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    New York
    Full Name:
    Joe
    As long as it's anything over 750, don't even worry about it.

4. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    Sounds good. I was just curious as to what caused the ostensibly massive drop. I guess 791 is still a good score for a 21 year old.

5. AntonyR

AntonyR F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Antony
    they do hurt your score and stay on for a period of 2 years

Antony

6. markymark360f1

markymark360f1 Formula 3

Dec 15, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The type of inquiry will affect your score. Mortgage vs Car for example.
    The formula is proprietary. Even if you pull your score online it is usually higher than if a mortgage broker pulls the score.
    Keep it over 740 and you will never have any concerns.
    MM

7. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Have you used your charge card more than usual in the last month or two? Even if you pay it off every month they count larger balances against you.

8. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    What you need to do now is take out 5 store credit cards pay them on time to balance out that one inquiry, If I were you I would even pay a few late just to see if they are reporting properly.

just my 2 cents

9. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    I do hope you are kidding!?

10. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    only I will know

11. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

It's good that you are so concerned about your credit score. I think there are few people that have one as high as yours. There are probably a few things that could be done to balance out that enquiry but I wouldn't worry too much about it. At least you know what to watch out for in future.

12. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Does a FICO erode after a while if you get rid of your mortgage, have no car loans and pay CCs off each month?

13. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    MOst lenders consider anything over 720 as "gold". Best rates are available to anyone over this number. I too wonder why I have a 796 score. I have no debt (including no mortgage), great income and steady perfect credit history. It is interesting that I have seen folks with no debt, and big net worths who cannot even get a credit score. In otherwords FICO of 0! It is a complicated system and I don't thind anyone really understands it.

14. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    Yep! It does happen. Makes no sense to me.

15. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    I use MyFico to monitor changes on my score and I got an email alert the other day saying my score dropped from 802 to 780, Why? Because I opened a new CD and the bank did a credit inquiry on me. Does seem very dumb

16. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC

That's crazy. I recently applied for a new Chase credit card - does that mean when they do a credit inquiry i'll drop another 20 points? Also, what happens if they deny me credit - will that bring me down even further?

Does anyone think they would have a reason to deny me a credit card with a 790 FICO?

17. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    With a 790 FICO your mailbox should be full of offers. I just think it's dumb that my score gets lowered because I deposited money

18. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    I work for JPM Chase and no, anything over 700 is Tier A for us.

19. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Love this post....a bunch of guys blowing smoke. I will explain since I am on the inside at one of the credit companies. A score is considered high risk by most banks below 640. The average person has a score of 700, which means they are your good payers, never late, good income, no legals blah, blah blah, this 800+ score is almost impossible to ever attain.

As for the inquiry, yes anytime anyone, or company looks into your file it decreases your score. Why? Because you are looking for credit...whether its a cell phone, a car loan, a visa. You are saying you need terms. Hence, the effect on your score. Its also determined by wealth, asset, marriage status and the like. Just because you have a score of 750 and DOnald Trump a score of 700 does not mena you can get more loans than him.

At the end of the day, its our system and our value of credit system and works very well. Its how the world has been going around for yrs now. Get used to it.

20. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    i am in home building, which means we use ficos all day long in mortgages. an inquiry will hurt your score by about 2 points. if you have multiple inquires, it depends on who makes them and why. scores in the 800's are very rare. i can count on my fingers the number of 800+scores i have seen in the last three years. i have never seen a 810+ score.

21. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Congrats....your point?

Read the print...98% of the population. Lets see...how many people in the US of A. ANd you are in the 2%. And? Your on Ferrari chat with me, would I expect to see 450? How much of the USA populations own exotics?
    Same thing.

22. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    All that, and No Ferrari???
    :D
    OK Uro, where'd the post go???

23. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Well which is it, 800+ is common as dirt or its almost impossible to obtain??

Maybe some of the rabble here has better credit than you give them.....well....credit...for!

24. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    #24 Sfumato, Aug 12, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Rabble rabble
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    You know I've never even thought of looking up my score.