lancia flavia zagato | FerrariChat

lancia flavia zagato

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by fedev, Aug 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fedev

fedev Rookie

Nov 10, 2003
    I am about to buy one. 64, apparently in very good mechanical shape with recent work (valve guides, piston rings, shot peened conrods..), some traces of corrosion on the pillars and on the bonnet.
    Are there further specific points to address when inspecting the car?
    How critical is the corrosion problem having to deal with an aluminium body?
    If anybody out there has (had) experience with this particular model I would appreciate any suggestion.

Federico

2. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    #2 Miltonian, Aug 11, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I think there's a real good chance that I'm the only person on Ferrari Chat who owns a Lancia Flavia Zagato. I bought it more than 20 years ago, and it's still sitting in my garage, totally disassembled and unrestored. I have a large collection of printed material on the cars, and I did kind of a register on the samples in the States many years ago, and I corresponded with some other owners.

These cars started to corrode the first time they got wet, and most of them have suffered from MASSIVE structural rust. On mine, the floor was tied to the steering column when I bought it.

Mine is 815.532 1141

Where are you located?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    #3 Miltonian, Aug 11, 2005
  4. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    Wow, groovy. Can't say I've ever seen one of those before.

5. fedev

fedev Rookie

Nov 10, 2003
    I am in Siena, Italy. The car is in Vicenza (northern Italy).
    I am interested in it primarily because I like the shape (taste..), and I think it has some potential:
    1) less than 700 such cars were done, so probably worth a restoration in any case
    2) presumably very useable, since the mechanicals were quite common and very well engineered for the period
    3) had some succces in races, and should gain easy acces to some historic events
    If I get hold of it I will be happy to exchange some info if you are interested.

6. Boxer 512

Boxer 512 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 5, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Seb King
    #6 Boxer 512, Aug 12, 2005
    Firstly,

You live in a beautiful town in my favourite country in the World, Secondly you have impeccable taste.....Although I prefer the DB 4 (see my project thread in other cars) and the Fulvia to the Flavia, it's still a great choice.

Check out the Bella Macchina 2004 (link below) for some great pics of some beautiful examples.

http://community.webshots.com/album/152256371KRSChQ/2

Best Regards & good luck,

Seb
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    The most important areas to check for rust/corrosion are:

1) The chassis platform where the rear mounts for the front subframe are located. This area rusts extremely badly, and if the subframe isn't solidly attached to the car, you're in big trouble.

2) The front windshield/roof frame. This is a very weak area, and absorbs a great deal of stress if the chassis is flexing. You hear about a lot of Flavia Zagatos with cracked windscreens, caused by the glass being crushed in the frame as the car goes over bumps or around hard corners.

The reasons for your interest in the car are very valid.

8. fedev

fedev Rookie

Nov 10, 2003
    Thank you all for advice & encouragement.
    Will let you know how it progresses.

9. R33

R33 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    Kent,UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Creed
  10. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
  11. Mike baum

Mike baum Guest

Sep 20, 2005
    Just discovered this thread. I am looking for an Appia or Flavia Zagato as well. The Swiss one is still for sale and I am in contact with the dealer (They raised the price to SFR48k which is a bit steep).

http://www.auto-waibel.ch/

Though it is completely redone in 2003/ 2004. The only really bad thing is the color change from blue to red (I think it was even this fantastic/ weired turquoise greenish/blueish color that Lancia had in the 60s - Can you imagine the car in this cool color with the red interior?).

What are the questions I have to ask? You guys know more Zagato Appias or Flavias for sale?

Mike

12. FerrariStuff.com

FerrariStuff.com Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    www.************.com
    Full Name:
    Jack Habits
    #12 FerrariStuff.com, Dec 23, 2005
  13. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    I think Lancias are great cars and particullarly pretty if they are Zagato bodied! I would love one of these cars or an early B20!

14. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    #14 Miltonian, Dec 26, 2005
  15. Sieze Giorno

Sieze Giorno Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2005
    Florida
    Wow, you are going to make me want to pick up a Lancia again. It was such a fun car to drive!

It was an early 80's model though, so not as classic...
    [​IMG]