Would You Sell Your Ferrari for a Lambo | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Would You Sell Your Ferrari for a Lambo

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kenyon, Aug 12, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yellowtr

yellowtr Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Have considered it very closely for a while now and very nearly a few weeks
    sold the TR for a nice SV, which is fully sorted but mid 40's miles (not that that is an issue), but sensible side of me came out and declined. The sheer fact is that if these cars go wrong, believe me a Ferrari can as well, you are looking into MEGA money to get sorted.

A friend had a Diablo for about 6yrs which I drove often on the road and track. Anyway, he gets some paint work done on it. Gets the car back and its not running well, running on 9 of 12 cylinders. Takes the car in to be looked at and it has run a few bearings dry and the mixture of everything as cooked the engine (turns out the muppets in the spray shop had taken the car out for a blast a few times and trashed it whilst cold). So repair bill (trade price) was £16,000! A few years later a head gasket went and that was a £4000 repair bill. Silly things like the door catch broke, £400 please. The gear lever gate broke, £200 please. Drivers door glass, £800 please...etc, etc.

These factors came in after thinking long and hard before buying the car, I think it is worth having money set aside for the worst as much as Lamborghini Diablo will make your cry with joy, it will also make you cry with pain when it goes wrong.

I will have one, oh yes but holding fire till funds permit. My friend said, running a Ferrari one thing....but running a Lamborghini something else.

2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Get a Diablo.

3. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003

You are indeed correct of course but this applies to ferrari equally!!

take my 355f1 here are some prices

ex bypass valve £700
    F1 pump £7600 yes £7600
    servicing at main dealer with cambelts £2.5K

My lambo costs NOTHING like that car did!

4. D11VE:J

D11VE:J Formula 3

Nov 9, 2004
    Wouldn't change top Italian thoroughbred for a pretty Audi if you gave me 3 of them. Having driven both, one is style, one is boneshaking crude, work the rest out for yourself, nuf said.

D11VE:J

5. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    Amazing how much interest this thread has generated in such a short space of time!
    As for which is better, Ferrari or lamborghini, its comparing chalk with cheese, both cars take entirely different routes to achieve performance. Some parts for Lambos are horrific, same for Ferrari, in the end its down to personal preference, no matter what you drive someone else will always say he has something better.
    As for the Lambo being a trumped up Audi, thats a load of B-----cks, should we say that a Ferrari is a Fiat, or an Aston is a Ford!!!
    Thinking about it, the only truly independent significant sports car maker left is Porsche.
    Steve

6. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
  7. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Yes, Boxer.

Look at his profile.

Now, if you thought BoxSTers were being talked about, you need to go and lie down.

Would I swap a Boxster for a Diablo? No, because (as good as they may be) I would never have a Boxster in the first place.

8. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Diablos and Boxers were from an era before the really big boys got involved.

One good thing about the very latest Diablos is that they had the style/quirks of the pre-Audi days, with the quality of the Audi days...

But I'm still not convinced it would be a shrewd move. Leave it a year or two and see what gives. Try and use your car a bit more and enjoy it. I'm sure if you wait, soon enough you'll be very much nearer par when trading between the two...

Slight aside, but I never really liked the Diablo and thought the Murci much better style wise. Until I saw a late orange Diablo. Amazing presence - almost Countach levels.

9. dasadrew

dasadrew Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Drew H.
    #34 dasadrew, Aug 12, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. 360

360 Karting

Feb 27, 2004
    Orpington Kent
    Full Name:
    Chris M
    I decided to jump ship just over a year ago and wont look back. The cars are great, thats not to say Ferrari are not great also but people will point at a Ferrari but if they see a Lambo their jaw normally drops as they say WOW, they are a rare sight on the road and are peoples pin up cars from when they were kids. Take the plunge GO FOR IT

11. simon355

simon355 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2003
    W.Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Simon George
    Mod Edit:[Inappropriate language removed]

12. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    Maybe Andy,
    in a years time I may have moved house and have more garage space, I did extend my existing garage last year just to house the boxer.

So Justin,
    to you who started this thread, the general feedback seems to be: aim for the lambo but keep the ferrari too.
    steve

13. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    i see that you mention AUDI but i would of thought a man of your knowledge would of known about the FIAT & ferrari connection

14. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon

I wish unable to have both. If I go for Lambo the Ferrari must go...

More confused then ever.

15. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    What would hold its value more ?

I'd think that the 512TR is as cheap as it's likely to get for a while. So can't see you losing much on that.

Not sure about the Diablo. The ones in the 80s/90s I suspect may come off. But then they may well appeal to a different sort of person than a Murci, so who knows.

What is more fun to drive ?

No idea. You should go and have a go in both and see what you think.

What has more presence ?

I never used to like Testarossas, but the 512TR is a lovely car to behold. More graceful than a car of that size has any right to be.

A Diablo is much more in your face. As I've mentioned, personally I'm not keen on the early cars. The front looks wrong to me, and the rear's a bit heavy handed.

But the later cars really do look amazing - in an "in your face" way. Unfrotunately, these are also the most expensive...

Going from a 348 Spider to one of these two, I think I'd say the Diablo. Try it for a bit and if it doesn't suit, trade it for a 512TR.

Have you considered a Countach? Really good ones are well within your budget. Has more road presence than either of the above, and is likely to hold its value very well if bought wisely.

They allegedly drive like a pig, but I'm not sure I'd care :) Fortunately I'm too tall to own one, otherwise I might have been tempted to do something daft!

FWIW, as great a car as it is I think you'd find the 550 too mellow. And 360s have never really been mine thing (CS excepted, which is out of budget).

16. D11VE:J

Nov 9, 2004

Steveirl; forgive me but if you drive the Diablo and then drive the Murci you will see a distinct difference in build, quality, ride and handling, only through Audi input have Lambo got their act together enough to treble product output and produce two models at once. Ferrari have not been taken over recently,thats all. Audi brought changes, significant changes.

Previously there were production problems, reliability and all types of other issues, never engine, no, fantastic engine, everything else though IMO.

I refer to the Lambo being crude the other being more refined, drive a lambo down a bumpy street and then drive a 575, chalk and cheese, in the FCar you will have your head left on your shoulders.

Sorry m8, its just my opinion after driving them both, love the Lambo but would not sell my Ferrari to buy one, that was the question I answered.

17. D11VE:J

Nov 9, 2004
    Mod Edit:[Inappropriate language removed]

18. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    at least audi will sort out the electrics but ferrari will get worse with FIAT electrics

19. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve

yes simon parks in disabled bays too

20. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve

audi's electrics were sh1te on my last one, would never buy another but would have a lambo

21. Robert W

Robert W Formula 3

Mar 13, 2005
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Westall
    When I was standing in the Lamborghini dealership with the money ready on a superb car at a good price, I could not get away from thinking that I was going to buy the Lambo for one reason - that I wanted people to look at me as I drove along. I can't say a Ferrari is exactly subtle, but I at least feel that when I buy a Ferrari, it isn't only to get people to look at me.

I bottled on the Lambo, and when the dealership sold the car a week later I felt I'd done the right thing.

Ferrari 550 Maranello - blinding power, luxury, beautiful inside and out - A road overtaking speed and ability - awesome. 3,500 miles done in 5 months of ownership.

This is my opinion based on how I felt on the spot. I still adore Lambos, think they are exclusive and awesome and really what has always defined the word "supercar". Next time I may choose the other way! Also, no offence to Lambo owners - they would be justified in calling me an old fart.

By the way - I was in London middle of the day on Thurs 11th Aug 05 - parked outside the Dorchester were: red German Ferrari 360 Modena Spyder, then bronze Continental GT (UK reg no RR11), black Rolls Royce Phantom (UK reg no X4 SAB - whatever that means) and a red Enzo with Middle Eastern plates which just said "999". The car had 'RRR' in orange on the sides. As you can imagine, the Enzo looked TINY next to the Phantom!

22. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    Cheers m8
    know exactly what you are sayin, and funny thing is those of my friends who are seriously interested in cars say the same thing, keep the boxer, i am in no hurry, the relaibility is a factor but as for the car being more crude than a ferrari, well thats the nature of the beast, if you wanna experience a raw driving experience just take a drive in a Pantera, and i can never imagine selling that car!
    steve

23. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    to Stevef
    why did you delete that oh so funny post?

24. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    i didnt

25. simon355

simon355 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2003
    W.Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name: