ANOTHER SCAM EMAIL | FerrariChat

ANOTHER SCAM EMAIL

Discussion in '308/328' started by thecarreaper, Aug 12, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i recieved 2 replies to a thread here on fchat. i was thinking that i was talking to a subscribed fchat member, but of couse i was not. this was the thread : http://70.85.40.84/~ferrari/forum/showthread.php?t=70355

i was wondering why the buyer did not call me about the car, to get the final details. now i know.

From: MR JEFFREY RICE RICE <[email protected]> [Add to Address Book] [View Source]
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: PAYMENT AND SHIPPING ARRANGEMENT
    Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 19:35:58 +0000

Hello ,Michael
    Thank you for your response. I have forwarded the features of your vehicle in autotrader to my client for evaluation and due to time constraint on the fact that we are running short of time , i am delighted to tell you that my client has commended your vehicle and he has instructed me to carry on with this transaction, he also instructed me to inform you that payment will get to you in a cashier check of $24,900 USD which is a refund payment of a cancelled order earlier made by my client. Due to company policy this check has to be made out in this amount to you because company policy only allows a refund payment on one cashier cheque. So you are required to deduct the cost of your vehicle $16,900 USD when payment gets to you and refund balance $8,000 to my client's shipper for him to be able to offset shipping & tax charges, and other cosmetic repair costs. After payment has reached you and balance sent to shipper, the shipper's agent will come for inspection, pick up (of vehicle & signing of title papers), make some cosmetic touches and drive to a prepaid shipper to be shipped to my customer, while title papers and other necessary documents will be handed over to my agent at the time of pick up. Please Confirm this and provide Name, Address and Phone number for payment to be delivered to you as soon as possible.
    Anticipating your favourable co-operation.
    Best regards,
    Jeffrey

what a crock of crap.

2. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Michael its unfortunately a sign of the times that we all receive these silly messages when trying to sell anything on the net, you really can’t respond to them without the PC Morons whining

I'm sure a genuine buyer will come along soon enough

3. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    WOW!! My neighbor got the same thing on a 911 he was selling. Exact same deal. He called the bank the check was drawn on when he received it and he couldn't verify the bank. He called the guy and his name was Rick Mallony and he said the bank wasn't doing his job and it should be ok. He said the buyer was out of Canada and the bank the check was drawn on was Texas but the bank couldn't be verified.

My neighbor said that he called the deal off because it wasn't going right and now he is glad!

4. JSessions

JSessions Guest

May 23, 2005
    SC
    Full Name:
    Jason Sessions
    I got a similar message three times on a car I am selling on autotrader.

5. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i have had these messages before. please read the GT4 thread i pasted a link to. in that thread i was asked about the car, and then i recived personal emails, with the "scams". i am NOT saying that anyone in the thread sent the email, its just bugs me that the timing was so concise. i will only accept cash, or direct bank wire transfers for cars that are for sale from my collection. a cashiers check will only be accepted for the exact amount and the car and title are held until the bank calls me and says it is a verified transaction.

seems like someone was on here watching the thread about the Dino on ebay and my 2 cars for sale. makes ya wonder...........

no way someone is going to buy a darn ferrari and not take the time to at least call me on my cell. i sent the guys in the thread my cell number. never got a call, so i belive the email was from a lucky lurker. remeber, out email addys are in our prifiles as a way to contact us.

6. DN35

DN35 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    D. Norton
    We need to find some of these people and incarcerate them.

7. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Yup. The "refund" scam from an overpayment on a cashier's check seems to be making the prison circuit right now.

Basically, cashier's checks are no longer trustworthy. You've got to have a verified wire transfer into your account for all car sales now. Trust only your own bank.

Don't pay fees. Don't give refunds. Don't sign over your title.

Include in your car sale ad that due to prolific scams, that you only accept verified wire transfers for the exact amount of the deal.

8. bwassam

bwassam Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2005
    North Bend, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Robert Wassam

Let's see. "Incarcerate," means to tie then to the floor by their testes inside a burning building and give them a serated knife to save themselves. Yeah, that ought to do it.

Bob Wassam

9. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I sold some wheels and tires over a YEAR ago and am still getting crap like this about them. Love to know where there are getting the info from. The tires have long since been off the ad I used.

10. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i never had these problems with the muscle cars. must be the ferrari image.

sorry about the poor spelling in the other post.... was multi-tasking at the time :) .

11. DN35

DN35 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    D. Norton
    At least when a guy sticks up a store, the cops look for him. Seems if a crook attempts one of these e-mail scams, the worst that happens is it doesn't work. The price of trying it has to be raised somehow.

12. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

excellent post. i agree.

13. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Had the same deal on car sales. I pushed one a bit furthur and the scammer got scared off.
    One word of advice.
    If anyone offers you asking price or more than asking price without ever calling you, negotiating, or asking questions....ignore
    I know there are people that have been scammed when they were the buyer and sent deposits or money, but i wonder if anyone has ever fallen for this scam as the seller?