Just back from a great drive 430 and CGT-photos | FerrariChat

Just back from a great drive 430 and CGT-photos

Discussion in '360/430' started by Jack(LA), Aug 14, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jack(LA)

Jack(LA) Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Los Angeles
    #1 Jack(LA), Aug 14, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The 430 is just amazing -- I'm very impressed by this car and I've had (have) some great automobiles over the years. I just can't get over how much Ferrari has improved the tranny and F1 system. The engine is very impressive as well. For all you 430 waiters, don't fret over the last C&D acceleration tests, this car is FAST -- much quicker than any 360, no matter what version. Handling is superb and the body is definitely more rigid than the prior generation car. You can feel the difference when you go for back to back drives.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    How's the F430 compare with the CGT. Can it keep up?

3. Jack(LA)

Jack(LA) Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Los Angeles
    #3 Jack(LA), Aug 14, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. Jack(LA)

Jack(LA) Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Jas, it can keep up for a while. ;) The CGT is an awesome car -- explosive acceleration. It's scary fast -- at least that's my reaction every time I drive my friend's car.

5. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    Great pictures! Thanks for sharing.

6. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    awesome pictures please adopt me. =)

7. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I know exactly where you guys are, i saw an Enzo and Carrera GT there a week ago!

Awesome pictures, the Silverstone F430 looks so aweosme!

8. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    Jack, those yellow calipers with the agrento just looks incredible.

9. 20C4S

20C4S Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2003
    Jack,
    u know what?!

THIS IS VERY ITCHING...

10. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Great shots. Thanks for posting.

11. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    AWESOME!!! Nice photos - and I bet a great drive...

12. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    great thread! im curious as to how driving the two compare, is the F430 noticeably easier etc? Porsche claims that this car is a daily useable car etc. but it seems that many find the car too "race car like"...witness all the crashes. Eager to hear what you say on this!

13. Bill S

Bill S Formula 3

Oct 2, 2004
    Hey Jack! Is the 430 that much faster than the CS, or is it only noticeably more torquey at lower revs?

How's the CGT owner doing?

14. donoe

donoe Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    BHANE
    LOL!!! :D

I know you want in on the action, no worries its only a few days away before launch :)

15. donoe

donoe Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    BHANE
    Wow! look at that line up, breathtaking...

Glad to hear you're loving your new car Uncle Jack :)

16. 20C4S

20C4S Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2003
    bhane,
    i think u miss it. i mean the 430 is itching... :D

17. donoe

donoe Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    BHANE
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dont joke like that, cus everytime you do it comes true haha...

(*BHANE looking at the calendar schedule board*) Ok, you are clear for landing ;) :D

18. deanger

deanger Rookie

Nov 10, 2003
    ...the CGT owner (not me, I'm silverstone spider in pic) is doing so well that he has almost 4k miles on it and told me "I'm NEVER selling this car ever". Got me thinking about rebuilding my driveway to accomodate one.

And, though I know this was directed to Jack, having driven plenty of 360s and the CS, I thought I would put in my 2 cents worth about the 430 and how it compares to the CS and others. I agree with jack and think of the 430 as a refined stradale. The sum of all of the improvements over the regular 360 is very impressive. Much better powerband, shockingly improved f1, blah blah blah... all the things you read in official reviews are true for once. I let the CGT owner drive the car as he awaits his 430 and, like everyone else, he was a little stunned at the overall effect of all the changes.

I love the cs, and it definitely feels more raw than a 430, at least when it is in race mode -- but you really notice the difference in low-end torque when you are in a 430. Given equal rubber, I have a hard time imagining a cs will actually be faster more than 1% of the time you drive it, even if it feels faster.

The other really impressive thing about the 430 is its versatility. For once, changing modes doesn't feel like you are sacrifcing one thing to get another. Want shockingly smooth shifting in city traffic? They've got a mode. Want that but with a stiffer feel? Got that too. Want all out on the edge? got that too. And unlike previous cars there isn't one mode that feels like the car is 'right' and two or three others where you feel like the car is 'off'. The car feels 'right' in all of the modes (note: haven't tried the snow mode)

Bottom line -- having had or driven a lot of different breeds of car -- the 430 was actually shockingly good to me. And even though I do find myself lusting for a 430cs (please make one) -- until they make one, I think it is hard to do better one a day in, day out basis , than this car.

19. FJerry

FJerry Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2004
    United States
    Wow- thank you- that is terrific. Is the CGT that low where you really have to redo the driveway? FWIW, I have a friend who has driven the CGT and everything said above is true. He says its so good its scary. Btw- your car is beautiful. It seems Ferrari have a real smash hit on their hands in the 430.

Best regards,
    Jerry

20. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Jack great shots. I knew you would like the 430! As Dean wrote, it provides you with the best of all worlds regarding driving experiences. The revelation to me was the E-differential. In turns under acceleration the car is literally on rails. It is so grounded/planted that it allows you to increase cornering beyond your wildest expectations.

The CGT, in my experience, is one dimensional albeit the best in that class. Undoubtly one of the best sport cars ever built. But it really is built for the track. Drive the car at speed on public roads or encounter unexpected weather/road conditions, you could find yourself in a ditch. You are on your own in the CGT. Of course, some prefer it that way.:)

21. FJerry

FJerry Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2004
    United States
    Thats my take on the car also- albeit I do not have the benefit of having driven it. I love it, but its a little too hard edged for me. I'm not that good of a driver! I believe Porsche has addressed some of the grabbiness of the clutch issues, but still, its a little beyond what I am looking for and that is what draws me to the F430.

Best regards,
    Jerry

22. F114B

F114B Karting

May 25, 2005
    West Coast
    I agree with Jack and Dean regards to the F430. I owned the CS (Jack's CS twin) and now I have my 430 Spider. I would like to also point out that how much improvements has been made to the Spider's chassis. I am usually a Coupe person but this time I trusted my friend from Ferrari who told me about these chassis improvements and insisted on getting a Spider. I am very happy with how it handles. And in my opinion, it is also much quieter than the 360 Spider while driving with a top down.

23. donrecto

donrecto Karting

Sep 17, 2004
    love the 430,but i regret to say that i can't take the cgt seriuosly...It seems so 'toyish',i mean on paper it looks fine,I know its extremely fast and whatever ......but in person it just looks like fiction...some comic hero's ride(no offfence to anyone who likes it).Its not just about cars' performance...i also regret that i have to repeat this tired old phrase but reallly its about passion,how the car makes you feel when you look at it,sit in it and even hear it.To me a 93 911 tt means more!for god sakes what am i going to do with all that performance?achieve record lap times that matter to no one?

24. bret928

bret928 Rookie

Sep 16, 2004
    Picked up my 430 last week, any tips on engine break in, I am getting mixed signals from no break in period to 1k miles?

Thanx

25. Premier Protective Films

Premier Protective Films Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 20, 2004
    San Francisco Bay
    How does it feel, over 150mph? Some of our customers have told us, it's just "cruis'n" at that speed.