Front Number Plates (again ... sorry) | FerrariChat

Front Number Plates (again ... sorry)

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by F308 MAN, Aug 14, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    The local police are trying to stop the (very common) application of black and silver registration plates on many of the modern cars over here. As result, I shall have to reluctantly change the modern "daily" to white/yellow reflective.
    However, I have toyed with the idea of applying black/silver to "Gina". Here, legislation permits black/silver to pre 1984 cars (UK i think, is 1972).
    I saw a 3X8 series advertised in this months Classic and Sports Car, sporting a sticky, vinyl plate on the bonnet, as per fezzaphils' E Type (discovered in a thread whilst searching for info). Whilst this doesn't look too original, am I correct in thinking that front number design would differ all around the world, therefore originality wouldn't suffer ?
    I recall reading very recently, info relevant to the specific legal requirements re letter size, colour, car design etc. - Could somebody point me in the right direction, or substantiate the above. I recall also, someone carrying a copy of a letter / legal doc.(or similar) to deter mr. plod from ticket allocating.
    A much smaller vinyl plate could easily fit across the front lower valance, without obstructing air flow to the radiator. This would probably prove more suitable than the bonnet option .... wouldn't it ?

Why do police forces insist on white/yellow ? One theory is, plates are required to be uniform to allow the "reading" of plates to discover tax, insurance details etc etc. If so, are classic car owners exempt from all this stuff ? (and why?)

comments please.
    cheers, d
    (land without speed limits or cameras ! ... ha ha)

2. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
  3. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    Dave is the I O M not in the UK then :D

4. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    thanks G, .... looks very complicated.

No! (thank you) .... we have the oldest surviving parliament in the world, and our own currency. (did i mention no speed limits or cameras ?)
    On the down side, diesel is currently 99.9 pence per litre.
    Missus looked to enjoy herself earlier, si ?

I would remain grateful for any further info/advice on the regn. plates.

cheers, d