Track Set-Up for F430 | FerrariChat

Track Set-Up for F430

Discussion in '360/430' started by BobR, Aug 15, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BobR

BobR Guest

Jul 8, 2005
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bob Rouleau
    OK, I've endured the break-in period and now I want to try out my new toy on the race track. Does anyone have suggested alignment specs? I have iron brakes, can I buy 18 inch wheels to fit? There seems to be a ton of room, perhaps Challenge wheels fit so I can use decent R compound tires?

How about brake pads, are the OEM ones up to the task or do I need a race compound, in the latter case, I'd appreciate suggestions. In case you are wondering, I track my GT3 extensively but my knowledge of Ferrari is sadly lacking. Something I hope to correct in short order.

Thanks

2. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    AP racing discs with 6 piston calipers, change the front roll bar (bigger), 18" wheels with either slicks or Michelin Sport Cup tyres, ride heights front and rear need to be adjusted - trial and error as the car suffers from some seious bottoming problems at the front, but you have to play with the rear also. Negaive camber as far as you can go (should be about 2 deg) .

Only issue is that now that you have a decent car you have voided your warranty and the risk is in the e diff. Rumor has it that they are putting a regular diff in the new Challenge car as the ediff does not live up to track stress......

Ideally, if you want a track car..... CS with the 19" slicks that are about to be available!

3. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Could you have made that more negative?

If it were me, I'd try sticking with the standard pads and see how they go. I've heard that 18" challenge wheels fit, and, if they do, between a few of us here, we've found Hoosiers to be much better on the track than anything else if you want to drive to the track and back. Just pray it doesn't rain, they're a bit slippery in the rain.

Suspension settings? The one guy I know with one tried to "optimise" his settings, but there wasn't much to play with. Not sure what he ended up with. He hasn't had any bottoming out on the track...but I guess we don't have very bumpy tracks maybe as chalstrad's experience is otherwise.

4. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

IMOI you should of just bought the 360CS all ready to go straight on track...

enjoy

5. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    #5 WCH, Aug 15, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    As with 360, to get more camber you can simply lower it, as they both have immense camber gain geometry. Of course, the 430 has a much worse front overhang problem than a 360, so lowering the rear significantly is the clue, leave the front pretty much where it is, maybe just 10-15mm lower, but drop the rear 20+mm easily.

Changing the rake will trim the aero, but tweaking the camber and toe will help trip the balance back, and using 360C anti roll bars looks easy, although I haven't done it.

7. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    Peter,

Did not mean it in a negative sense, but it is a fact that there is a lot of work to get a 430 to work properly on a race track. Once done the car is blindingly fast, just does not have the raw emotional feel of a CS.

I have driven prepped and normal 430s on several tracks in Europe and they ALL bottom out at the front except the prepped one where after much work they got it right. The car is intrinsically too softly set up (and I'm talking euro spec so imagine US to be worse) for track driving in its standard form.

The cars even bottom out under hard braking. Every 430 I have ever looked at has scuff marks under the front nose.......

It just depends on what you want, but if you want a track car a bog standard 430 is NOT the ideal choice (also it is heavy)