Little Haiti | FerrariChat

Little Haiti

Discussion in 'Florida' started by FerrariSlave, Aug 15, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. What exactly is it? I hear it is one of the worst places in the greater Miami area, but I also hear it is somewhat like Little Havana, good food, fruit markets etc. Whats the scoop from those who live in Miami.

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I think it runs along 95 between 140th to 70th or so. It used to be an ok neighborhood although its gotten worse lately.

Its definately Not like little Havanna

3. I see, what are some of the neighborhoods to stay out of in Miami? I hear Little Havanna is pretty decent for Cuban Food, and it isn't "Ghetto", but from I hear Little Haiti is comparible to the South Side of Chicago, no?

4. spyderman33

spyderman33 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    MIA/ATL
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Little Haiti is definitely not tourist friendly or even local friendly... I wouldn't set foot at any restaurant in that area not just because of physical safety but because of food safety (nasty)....It's like eating in Tijuana....

Some other locations to stay away from:

Opa-Locka
    Overtown
    Liberty City
    Carol City
    North Miami (some areas)...
    Some areas of Hialeah....

5. I see, so I assume those areas are "Ghetto", and most of the other areas except those listed are of middle to high class. Im thinking of moving to Miami in 2006, I have been to Miami twice, but only for a few hours between flights and once for 3 days, can't really make a decision out of that. I will have to revisit sometime this fall, I hear mixed reviews from people, such as that the city is "ghetto" because of all the hispanic, and caribbean culture aka Jamaicans, Haitians etc, but i have to see it for my self.

6. spyderman33

Jan 9, 2004
    MIA/ATL
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Let us know next time you come down, I'll be more than happy to give you a tour...

You have plenty of choices...The most important thing is what's your budget but I am sure you know that coming from Chicago...It also matters if you want a condo or house.

7. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    the basic rule in Miami is that is you are on the Ocean you are in a nice place

8. Well on the ocean is usally extremly expensive, im sure there are some very nice neighborhoods not on the ocean. Guess my expectations are to high, Miami is like any other city, there is good and bad areas.

Thanks for answering all my questions guys!

9. PMDDMD

PMDDMD Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2004
    Many years ago I made an all night foray into Liberty City to the Rolexxx Club with an African-American friend of mine. Although I was a little out of my element at first, I ended up having an unbelievable time. To this day, anyone who hears the whole story is somewhat suprised I made it out of there alive. Were their fears justified? Never seen the place in the daylight...

10. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    These places are all miles from the Ocean

a friend took me to a strip club in Harlem, that was an experience, we later went slumming around some other clubs. I was usually the only "Whitey" around :)

11. spyderman33

Jan 9, 2004
    MIA/ATL
    Full Name:
    Julian
    you are right, there are many neighborhoods that are not on the water and are still very nice... Again, it all depends on what your budget is...

Pinecrest, Coral Gables, South Miami, East Kendall... all nice areas.

12. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    you would be surprised when you see some areas in these neighborhoods listed. There is some mega mansions in these neighborhoods. Believe me. You have to go and look.

13. spyderman33

Jan 9, 2004
    MIA/ATL
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Mansions or not, I would not live in any of those areas... You leave your nice house and you are still in the same crap neighborhood or the crap neighborhoods still surround yours..

... That's why I left Miami Shores... But hey, that's me...

14. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    i would like to find a quaint up and coming neghborhood, to purchase a small townhome or condo fixer upper . any recommendations? i dont want to spend alot , as i am working on two other homes in the mid atlantic. i just want a place to crash in the winter months..(hopefully a garage so i can ship my fcar down ) somewhere in south FL.
    any recommendations appreciated. pm me

15. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I predict the Miami real estate bubble will pop in late 06 or 07.

Then I'll buy my penthouse here :)

16. spyderman33

Jan 9, 2004
    MIA/ATL
    Full Name:
    Julian
    William- You beat me to it...

I too predict the real estate bubble bursting in the next 12-18 months...

I would wait until then to buy... It will be worth it!

Today is not the time to buy...

I was thinking about selling my house which I just bought 6 months ago and cashing out on the $250K increase since then... Rent a real nice house for dirt cheap... wait for the crash and then buy my dream house...

It's a good plan, not sure if I will execute on it....

;)

17. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    What is not spending a lot to you?

18. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Whereever you live you have to drive through crap to get out or in. Look at the neighborhoods on the beach. If you get off the beach you have to drive through North Miami to get to I95. Or 30th Street corridor or Downtown. All crap. Aventura is a big crap hole as far as I am concerned :) Too many self centered areseholes living there.
    Look at Williams pad. Great to live on the island but when you get off you are in a dump littered with the homeless.
    No offense guys we are always close to "bad" neighborhoods. Some of them are making huge improvements. ElPortal is turning around very well. North Miami will get a boost once they get the idiot mayor out of office. Opa Locka could be a very nice place if they get their finances straight and stop playing the race card.

19. spyderman33

Jan 9, 2004
    MIA/ATL
    Full Name:
    Julian
    What I meant was being right next to crap neighborhoods... Surfside is not 5-10 blocks away from the ghetto... Miami Shores and El Portal is literally blocks away.... There was alot of theft in Miami Shores related to perimeter riff-raff coming in and stealing and then leaving....

You are right though, you do drive through bad areas to get to the nice ones....

20. TheCarcierge

TheCarcierge Formula 3

Feb 1, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott Saidel
  21. Cochese

Cochese Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rick
    No more Germans allowed in my house! Wait, Germans without boobs. ;)

On a side note, there is a punkish British pub in Little Haiti that shows soccer and rugby games. I went there at 2am for a Rugby World Cup match... sure, I was scared, but I escaped unharmed. The thing that rattled me most was hearing roosters crow when the sun was rising! One thing you won't see in little Haiti is stray cats. (Just like you don't see stray dogs in Chinatown).

Also, from what I've been told, if you're white, and you go in those old black neighborhoods listed above (Opa-locka, Carol City), they'll think you're a cop!

By the way, in addition to the "affluence" of your neighbors, look at how quickly you can get to 95, or 826/836. With all these apartments going up, traffic is going to REALLY suck because of course, the roads aren't getting wider.

22. R33

R33 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    Kent,UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Creed
    I stayed at the Silver Beach Club Condo in F.Lauderdale sometime back. The Houses that backed onto the intracoastal canal were fab.
    Had a good wander round Bayside at the properties, and it didnt seem that bad at all, even at night.

23. spyderman33

Jan 9, 2004
    MIA/ATL
    Full Name:
    Julian
    There is also no one under 65...

;)

Oh oh, shall I sit back and wait for the backlash of my comment?

Just kidding!!! I love Boca...

24. Blackbird4life

Blackbird4life Formula 3

Jul 8, 2005
    I wouldn't recommend residing in Little Hati......

25. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Neither would I recommend residing in "big Haiti" for that matter :)