308QV Alternator change | FerrariChat

308QV Alternator change

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by sp308qv, Aug 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sp308qv

sp308qv Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    South Jersey
    Full Name:
    Steve Ponzetto
    HELP!, First of all thank-you for all of your help so far, I've got the alternator loose, the coolant pipe is off, the back heat shield is off ,the wires are off and i still can't get the alternator OUT!( I love Ferrari BUT I could of done with a liitle less gas to make the fuel tank smaller to get the alternator out!)anyway can someone tell me what would be the best next step? dropping the bottom AC mount or removing the torsion damper pully? or is there anouther way? Also there is no coolant drain on my 1985 308QV on the block, just a hole for it that is plugged, has anyone seen that before?

2. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    Someone once said the easiest way to get the Alt out of a 308 is to take it apart in the car and remove it in pieces (same for installation)? Have not done it myself yet.
    There are a few threads on this subject--check the archives.

Mark

3. bwhitney

bwhitney Guest

Aug 14, 2004
    Cow Town, NH USA
    Full Name:
    Brad W.
    On my 328 I took the cover off the alternator but still could not get it out. I had to pull the harmonic balancer. Putting it back & to get the AC belt back on I have to remove the bolts to the bottom AC bracket & loosen the top ones so it slid down another 1/2" or so.

My buddies Corvette has the alternator in a palce where ti can be changed maybe even with the car running.....I almost had to remove the windshield washer blades. It's a good experiance, after that you can do almost anything on the car.

Brad in NH

4. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    It's been awhile since I took one out of my ex-308 but it can be done without removing the gas tank or the harmonic banlancer. It's just in how you "wiggle" it out