Peoples perception and Ferraris. | FerrariChat

Peoples perception and Ferraris.

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Robertb, Aug 17, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Why is it that people have an odd perception of Ferrari cars?

Even myself I suppose; for example-

I would never take my F355 to the office or to see a client, and yet I would (and indeed have on many occasions) take my 993, and have considered pxing the 355 for a 996C4S which I could use regularly.

Bizzarely, I would not worry about peoples' perceptions of the Porker, but I'd be too concerned about my colleagues' perception of the (probably cheaper)355 to even let them know I have one.

It must be because people think of Ferraris as being unfeasibly expensive based on the new price, and something that they could never afford, when the truth is not so.

Am I worrying too much?

Any views?

2. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Let them keep thinking they can't afford it. The minute they've all got one i'm selling up :)

3. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    dont like going anywhere in mine where i am known as people jump to loads of conclusions ie drug dealer, big car small dick, rich bastardr wanker, but dont mind going anywhere whewre i am not known just did 6 days round the north of scotland fantastic friendly its the people that know you that are envious ones

4. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Does it matter what car your driving if they already know you so well :D

5. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    Last time I went back to my home town in it I was accused of being either a drug dealer or a DJ. Not sure which is worse!

6. mmm355

mmm355 Formula Junior

May 19, 2005
    Kent
    Full Name:
    John
    I have the same 2 cars, Robert, and I feel exactly the way you do. Both are about the same age and that's partly why clients are happy with the 993, as opposed to a 996 Turbo for example (most would be anyway but the odd one has a bit of a jealousy thing). But I wouldn't even let on to any customers that I have a 355. They'd simply think I was ripping them off, which is certainly not the case. Also, the Porker is so much more understated (relatively speaking), less noise, less drama etc that people don't think you're showing off. Personally I rather enjoy the idea of people having no idea. I especially like it when you hear people admiring Ferraris in the knowledge that I have one tucked away he he!

7. S11eps

S11eps Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Shepherd
    It's for this reason no one at work knows that I own a Ferrari, except for my brother.

My new neighbours (across the road) were speaking with my next door neighbours only last weekend, and asked what my wife and I were like (having not yet met them). Were we "snobs, or just dodgy", the woman actually asked.

Seems you can't be a car enthusiast without being a deviant or having some additional illegal income according to some.

8. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    I feel the same as I never take my 328 or 512TR to the office or running errand when needed to so my wife queried me why we should have 4 cars when 2 can't be used for simple trips to supermarket!

9. RAY430RED

RAY430RED Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Marlborough Wilts
    Full Name:
    Ray F

10. mmm355

mmm355 Formula Junior

May 19, 2005
    Kent
    Full Name:
    John
    You're right there. People make assumptions about you based on the car you drive and no doubt they're usually wrong. For most people who will never achieve what we are all lucky enough to have done, there's definitely a them and us ethos. The fact is, as most of us know, we're all actually pretty normal people. I'd hate the thought that someone would shy away from talking to me because of my car.

11. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    It isn't about what Ferrari you have it is just the fact that it is a Ferrari. Whether you have a 328/355 etc that is in reality worth less than £50k people do automatically assume that you must be loaded. I borrowed a GT2 ( worth £100k plus ) for a while and was quite happy to take it to work but I would never take the F-car to the office.

It is just the general perception that exists , you just need to figure out whether it matters to you or not.

12. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    I used to go around in mt previous Porsche and my colleague never seemed to mention anything now when ever the circumstance arises they will say 'Oh, he now owns Ferraris!' then they will change their perception of me, good or bad? who knows!
    But one thing that ferrari does to you is it changes the perception people have on you once you start owning it!

13. R33

R33 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    Kent,UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Creed
    I wouldnt give a damn what people thought. If i bought a Ferrari, it would be because it was always my dream to have one.
    If people didnt like me for that, well thats just tough. We all spend our lives working our chads off to achieve what?.....To have things we like!!
    If people sneer at Ferrari owners, its because they are either lazy, and have no ambition or goals, or, possibly they just dont like F-cars......and?

14. mmm355

mmm355 Formula Junior

May 19, 2005
    Kent
    Full Name:
    John
    That just about sums it for me too

15. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Spot on.

16. Stuh

Stuh Karting

Sep 25, 2004
    Bucks
    Having very much expected some negative reaction, i've actually had quite the opposite.

Initially even my own family were giving me the flash git comments. However now friends and family have grown to know the car they actually think quite the opposite! My sister even borrowed it recently on the grounds that "it's not that flash red colour" and "it's on an N plate after all" :D

Every time i fill up at the local garage i get the cheerful "wanna swap" comments as they climb into their vauxhall\ford\nissan. Also got chased by a transit a few weeks back, pulled alongside me at lights, wound window down. At this point i was expecting some coffee been gestures, but 3 grinning blokes just asked me to nail it away from the lights.......so i gave them a full Capristo 8000rpm scream!

17. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    all ferrari drivers are w4nkers

18. Aztec

Aztec Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2004
    Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yours gone then M8?

When does the Radical arrive?

19. mal

mal Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2004
    Kent
    Its not as simple as that though is it. For personal use it, thats fine, but if I showed up at some of my clients with the car they would think I was making too much out of them and I may lose business - therefore the image and people reaction is important to consider if it affect your business. If not then your statement is spot on.

20. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Not wishing to split hairs Steve but you were also in the East!!!!

21. R33

R33 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    Kent,UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Creed
    Ahh but it is!!
    If a customer/client was short sighted enough to think that a businessman is earning too much from them because he/she turns up in an F-car, does that mean that they inhand would also not give someone their business if they werent happy with the car they did turn up in.?
    I see the point, and would maybe consider the point myself briefly, and i suppose, considering running costs etc, would probably not use an F-car for travelling around the country meeting clients....purely for my own cost related reasons though.
    If i were a client/customer, and the product i was looking into was good enough, then i would more than likely think, wow, this guy's product must be good/popular for him to be able to run a Ferrari.
    However, as an addition to that, i wouldnt be giving it the "check me out" attitude, but take on a suitable and appropriate business attitude.

22. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    no still have mine thats why i made the statement :D, cannot make a final decision until mid september, really want to keep the 360 and get a gt3 rs for a year to track it

23. jimmy b

jimmy b Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    On a plane
    Full Name:
    James
    Fair point. It wouldn't be professional to be too scruffy either. New Fcars, I guess seem to have this young and rich owner-profile image (footballer if you like), and even the less new ones are not cheap to own, so you can't exactly drive one and pretend to be poor. I know owners with 18 grand 308s, and others with a collection of 25 expensive classics. As far as I'm concerned we're all sharing a love of fine cars, and that's all I care about.

I have the advantage that I hardly ever travel by car to visit clients, as I mostly go abroad to them or they come to my office in central London. I have occasionally driven to a UK office in my Fcar and just left it discreetly at the back of the carpark (where the attendant said "nice car"). One colleague who's a friend as well, asked to go for a spin in it, but otherwise I wouldn't dream of mentioning it at work at all. In fact the other day one of my team mentioned it to another guy on the team, who turned to me and said, "we've worked together for 2 yrs and you never told me you had a Ferrari?". I'm just not like that. What do you say? "hello, I've got a Ferrari"? It just wouldn't be me to talk about it. I only mention it occasionally to take the mickey out of my boss, who has a 911 cabriolet and never bloomin' shuts up about it....

Perception is a funny thing. I have a 6yr old Merc saloon (which I quite like, it's an S class with AMG upgrades in black of course - very "dealer / gangster" looking) but you know what? IT COST SEVEN GRAND. I bought it because it's a reliable Merc, it's LPG converted so exempt from congestion charging with 41p per litre fuel, and it seats five adults and luggage at motorway speed all day long. Can you believe, that parked in London on the street people come along and key it ?! These same people probably drive a car worth more ! What can you do, eh?

My uncle once asked me why I like Fcars and here is my answer. You can quote me on this, "I've had Ferraris (mostly against the wishes of my nearest and dearest) because I wanted to enjoy driving them. No other reason."

J.

24. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    my mortgage broker has a 348. Doesnt bother me :D:D:D

25. R33

R33 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005