Pitting in Aluminum water pump housing | FerrariChat

Pitting in Aluminum water pump housing

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by marankie, Aug 17, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. marankie

marankie Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2004
    Agoura Hills, Calif
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I am the middle of a water pumo seal and bearing service and timing belts change out on my '75 308 GT4. Have removed the water pump and noticed a fair amount of pitting on the thermostat housing castings in the direct area where the hoses clamp on. Some of these pits are deep enough to where they could prevent the hose clamp pushing hose rubber into them for a good seal. I am preparing to fill these pits with JB weld (matalized epoxy). Just wondered if anyone had any experience with this fix. An alternative would be to have these heli-arc fill welded. Any one have experience with this?
    Thanks in advance for your feed back.
    Martin Jansen.
    Agoura Hills,
    So Cal

2. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    You have to keep 25% anti-freeze minimum and use softened/distilled water or you will get pits. JB Weld works fine as filler. Just do it soon and then keep coolent mix in reason. No big deal!

John

3. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I've had JB Weld pop out of some smooth surfaced pits on Al hose fittings. Lightly sand-blasting the pitting to give it some tooth & remove any organic deposits will ensure a good bond. Once I started blasting before using JB Weld I've never had a problem.

4. bwassam

bwassam Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2005
    North Bend, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Robert Wassam
    Please see my thread on 308 Corrosion Problem.

Bob Wassam