Business v's Ferrari | FerrariChat

Business v's Ferrari

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by jameskino1, Aug 18, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jameskino1

jameskino1 Rookie

May 10, 2005
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Jamie Mackay
    Stop the bus everyone! Over the last years i've managed to save up enough money for a 355 or 360 Spider. I've been following these threads almost every day. Pretty addicitive stuff and a great laugh. Feel sorry for Kirk though ;-)

Last year the 355 was on the cards then a cheap couple of houses came up so they took priority. A further year down the line and Im ready to buy the 360. Now another feckin oppertunity has just arisen and guess what i need 75K to put a deposit down on a bloody petrol station!!! It's a great oppertunity again and not to be missed. The question is though is I always seem to find something else to do with the money. The more you get saved the more oppertunitys there are. The ferrari is never going to arrive at this rate!!! It was always my dream to have it before i was 30. Only got 4 days left so thats fecked!

Any advice on when the right time is to say 'NO' to business and put Ferrari first.
    What sort of cash/net worth does the average owner have before he buys his Ferrari??

Any help appreciated.
    Cheers,
    JM

2. Boxer 512

Boxer 512 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 5, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Seb King
    I bought my first Ferrari, (308 QV) when I was 28 and had bugger all, in fact I had debt and nowhere to live !

Now I have 2 plus a few other "everyday cars" and 3 places to live.....All a matter of priorities I guess, But I will say this, You're only here once - Make the most of it, enjoy every precious second, you never know what's around the corner - Believe me I see it everyday.

Seb

3. panterasteve

panterasteve Formula Junior

May 4, 2005
    huddersfield
    Full Name:
    steve b
    its easy this buy both cos ferraris drink fuel ,you could do fuel at special discount for fchat ,within a month am sure it would have have paid for itself.
    steve f is buying a takeaway so he can use old chip fat to run his 512 on its total logic in my eyes.

4. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    you only live once its know good laid in that coffin thinking i wish i had of bought a ferrari

5. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    The rules are you have to earn more than everyone else you know and be worth lot and lots of money. If you are not a millionaire, just don't bother, we don't want your kind...

...Do we really need another bigging ourselves up thread? There are no rules - do what you do, have fun doing it and don't hurt anyone in the process.

Sorry dude, but I think that's a silly/incredibly personal question.

oh, and none of us are average ;)

6. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    If you really badly want a Ferrari now...........you'd buy it now.

7. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I know people with a far greater net worth than me who would never dream of wasting money on a car like a Ferrari.

On the other hand, I know people who are financed up to the hilt to get behind the wheel of their dream and haven't looked back.

It is down to what you feel comfortable with. If you're making all this money you've got to enjoy it sometime or whats the point.

8. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Jamie

finance the Ferrari and buy the petrol station....money is pretty cheap at the moment and for the foreseeable future

I'd agree with the one life, live it every day:)

9. jameskino1

jameskino1 Rookie

May 10, 2005
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Jamie Mackay
    Dont undertand that reply??? I've wanted a Ferrari since I could say the word! Probabaly before. Look at them every 2nd week in top marquees for 15 years. In the last 10 years sure i could have bought one but at what sacrifice??? You've got to get the right balance. I feel now I can afford it and continue my current lifestyle but theres the nagging thought in your mind that if you hold out for one or two more years you could have plenty dosh, massive house, better ferrari etc It's just trying to find the balance of the other Fchatters i'm after.

For example i think my balance is:
    Business doing well, dont have to work long hours, luxurious house, some spare cash and the Ferrari.

In reality just now its:

Business doing well but oppertunity for it to double in revenue, long hours being worked, luxurious house, not much spare cash and potetnially a Ferrari.

I wish it was just as easy to 'just go and buy one'.

each to their own though, any feedback appreciated. :)

10. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Tried to put some constructive advice together but words either seem patronising or big headed.

my advice is: Your Call.

11. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    Whatever you do, don't waste your money on a big tent!

IMHO if you're having these doubts then it's not the right time for you to buy one. I wanted one for nearly 20 years and as soon as I had the cash I went out and got one without deliberation.

I'm financed up to the eyeballs but I don't regret it because it was my number one goal in life since I was a teenager

12. jameskino1

jameskino1 Rookie

May 10, 2005
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Jamie Mackay
    There is no 'bigging up' going on. I have my idea of when the time is right, i'm merely looking for feedback from others on what they base there decisions on incase there is things i havent taken into consideration when deciding. This will no doubt temper my view in either direction.
    The more information you have to allow you to make any decision the higher chance you have of making the right one. After that its down to make it.
    Just the way I work I suppose.

So no bigging going on, maybe some begging to the big man upstairs though! :)

13. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    you aint never going to buy one with them thoughts cos if you wait 5 years till you have a bigger house and nice life time in 5 years time you will say well its a ferrari or a even bigger house and better life style if i wait another 5 years

do you really want one if so do it

14. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Having a ferrari is a bit like having a baby. It's never the right time and for most of us you can never afford to do it.

Look, I understand your desire to own, but only you can make the decision as to when the time is right to buy.

All very well to have a good business, big house, few quid in the bank etc. But what happens if all of a sudden you're in an accident, terrorist bomb etc. You would never have achieved that dream.

It's fine to be cautious in life and to have goals, but remember, all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Rob

15. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    I am sorry James but you obviously have not(the desire to buy) it appears to Me(and several others)that the deep down desire to own a Ferrari is not in you if it was You would not be asking such a question on this site.From My side it looks as if You are continually giving yourself a reason not to buy one.
    Certainly hope I am wrong(it has been known)
    Dave Mc

16. monge2

monge2 Karting

Feb 24, 2005
    Essex
    Full Name:
    Martin
    If you really wanted one, you'd of bought it by now. So imho your not ready and probably never will be.
    There's a small bit of bigging up, but will let you get away with it.....:)

17. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    Jamie....apologies....my comment was'nt meant to be in any way insulting.

I could have purchased a Ferrari a year ago, but I kept putting it off until about 3 weeks ago. Even then I was having second thoughts as I was contemplating waiting another year and getting a 355 or two more years for a 360. But I knew it would just go on and on and who knows what will happen then. I might be broke, dead...or even worse.....married!!

My advice as a new owner is to get one now. You can always make more money later, the enjoyment and fulfillment you'll get is terrific.

If you can't get a 355, get a 348. A good one is about £15 - £20K cheaper than a comparable 355 and more value for money.

Besides...it was the last of the REAL Ferrari's until they put that pansy power steering in so that Hairdressers could drive it.

:D

18. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    To see if you are ready for it is to take the Angelis Ferrari Owners Test.

We've all passed it. Some with a higer score than others. ;)

I would like a Ferrari because:

1. I want to be the centre of attention
    2. It'll help me pick up women
    3. I have a very small penis
    4. I could'nt afford a Lamborghini
    5. I could'nt find a pink 355 spyder
    6. So people can point at me and shout "wanker"!
    7. I have more money than sense
    8. I want to replace my wife
    9. Small debt, big debt....what's the difference!!

19. monge2

monge2 Karting

Feb 24, 2005
    Essex
    Full Name:
    Martin

20. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy

21. jameskino1

jameskino1 Rookie

May 10, 2005
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Jamie Mackay
    Understood Angelis. I just dont want it to be a noose round my neck and it stopping me continuing to grow my business. I want to be able to enjoy it and not worry about anything else. Maybe I'm a year or so off with my timing. Still wont stop me weighing it up every night in bed though!!! Its almost like its programmed into me! How can a physical object make you want it so much???? The joys!!!!

22. monge2

monge2 Karting

Feb 24, 2005
    Essex
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I'm proper pants on this just like your motor.......joking mate.
    Gutted i can't come. Away for the weekend, and the gaff your meeting at is just down the road from me.

23. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    What do you drive at the moment?

24. jameskino1

jameskino1 Rookie

May 10, 2005
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Jamie Mackay
    #24 jameskino1, Aug 18, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    TVR Cerbera, why???

Want to buy it? I'll swap you for your Ferrari and some free petrol!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. MOD500

MOD500 Karting

Feb 28, 2005
    Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Martyn
    Coming from a Cerb, a 355 and even the 360 will feel alittle tame. But, the Ferraris will handle much better than the Cerb, and be more reliable.

Have you driven a Ferrari yet, to see if you like it?

Hope you get fixed up.

Martyn
    (ex TVR owner :))