F430 common faults... already | FerrariChat

F430 common faults... already

Discussion in '360/430' started by thibaut, Aug 17, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thibaut

thibaut Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Thibaut A.
    Hi guys,
    my boss' new F430 has already been three times back to dealer since taking delivery.
    Count so far is aircon failing (twice), but the worse is issue with hydraulic system F1. Gearbox is switching back to neutral, warning lights.
    Apparently not an uncommon issue : dealers ha ve been instructed to change some electrovalves whenever a car shows these issues. after first first did not work they are now replacing the full hydraulic system.

On a lighter note apparently 50 per cent of f430 are ordered with ceramic brakes. I think this is crazy given the maintenance cost of such system as discs have apparently to be changed every two - three pad changes... costs about GBP 16000 all round.

Any similar experiences ?

2. mkultra

mkultra Formula 3

Nov 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    MK Ultra
    i have not heard of problems with the carboceramic brakes on Enzo's, Stradales, nor F430's!

3. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    That might be true but bear in mind the pads last a LONG time. When the lot has to be changed it is horrid expensive, I do agree. I don't have any idea of the percentage of 430s ordered with carbon brakes, but I bet most are ordered for cosmetic reasons. I went with standard brakes on mine.

Gary

4. lawandorder360

lawandorder360 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NE Ohio
    Have his dealer run a diagnostic on the tranny...hopefully its just a software glitch.

5. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    your right because there isn't any!!!! ceramic brakes all the way boys

rock on

6. FJerry

FJerry Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2004
    United States
    Also don't the carbon brakes produce much less brake dust on the wheels? How often do most drive their Ferraris? Having clean wheels might be nice and if you can afford to tick the F1 box, you might be willing to tick the CCB box too.

Best regards,
    Jerry

7. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    A great percentage of cars have also had to have airbag systems replaced (maybe for earlier cars) during the PDI.

--Dan

8. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Carbon brakes are ordered on 50% of the 430's? I seriously doubt it. Those that are ordering them are doing so for the most part cosmetic reasons(except for the very few tracking their cars on a regular basis). What I found interesting is of all the people that have viewed my 430 with regular brakes(red calipers), ONLY ONE asked me whether the brakes were carbon or steel.

BTW carbon brakes have little brake dust but the standard wheels on a 430 are very easy to clean. Brake dust is not a serious issue like it is on my Cayenne.

9. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    glad you put that in for us track junkies

rock on

10. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    I have the steel brakes which do create a great deal of dust however I find that I spend more time cleaning the wheels even after a short ride than Quick detailing the body>

11. DJ4200GT

DJ4200GT Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2004
    After having heard first hand from the higher-ups of 3 Ferrari dealerships (including one of the owners) apparently there are wide-spread issues with the initial batch of 430s. I was shocked to hear that at one dealer the service manager said that more than half of the 430s that they had delivered had been back for some serious F1 hydro issues. Many of the cars just locked up and refused to disengage gear. Unfortunately a few of these cars were in less than ideal locations to access by tow trucks and had to be tied to a winch to be removed. Other issues included...for the few Spiders that had been delivered faulty top motors...in fact one has been sitting at a dealer now for 3 weeks waiting on a replacement motor to arrive...I have heard from more than one person that the ceramic brakes work AMAZINGLY and have been bulletproof so far...but those other issues sure scare me!

12. Dan Ciezniewzky

Dan Ciezniewzky Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2004
    Indianapolis
    sorry to hear, but it looks as if Ferrari still hasn't learned :(
    I'm shocked (very, very, very, VERY sarcasticly)

Give em a week or two and you guys will be in plenty of company, maybe their next effort will fare better, if not looks like Honda's and Lambo's only for me...too bad

13. thibaut

thibaut Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Thibaut A.
    sorry may be my forst post was a bit unclear : there are no fault with the ceramic system per se. Just the discs haven't a very long life span - i have been told about 2 pads replacement - and the cost is from outer space compared to steel.
    the 50 percent figure was given by Ferrari France for the f430 they had deliverey or taken order for so far. can't really check any further.

cheers

14. FJerry

FJerry Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2004
    United States
    How long does it take to go through the carbon ceramic brake pads that Ferrari uses?

For myself, I would agree if I ordered the brakes it would be because #1- they look better and #2- Id want to distinguish the car more for my own sense of specialness. Against these factors I will counterbalance the large cost of the CCB system. I won't be tracking the car.

Best regards,
    Jerry

15. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Like any brake pad, it all depends on how you drive. I would bet they will last 2 or 3 times as long as conventional under the same circumstances, but they cost, what, 10 times as much to replace?

Gary

16. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Hmmmmm, really...imagine that, a Ferrari with problems..........

17. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    I did not order ceramic brakes on my 430 based on advise from two dealers. Both said steel was essentially equivalent to ceramic except for very serious track use but ceramics were extremly sensitive to the need for good cooldown laps. If not properly cooled down, they develop internal cracks which are uninspectable and can lead to the disk exploding. Wow. He said is has happened. ???

They do fill the 19" wheel better.

18. DJ4200GT

DJ4200GT Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2004
    HAHAHAHH well said.

19. Challenge_Stradale

May 14, 2005
    NY
    After having the CCB's there's NO-WAY I would consider getting a 430 without them. I wouldn't get the car if I couldn't get them./I wouldn't consider trading a CS with CCB's for a 430 without.

20. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway

be like nick,
    as he indicates above, it's all about profilin':

he didnt order ceramics as passersby wouldnt know what they were so why pay the freight, eh nick??? some funny threads on rennteam on the subject.

21. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    AHG on this board has done around 3000miles onhis cars. Needs new pads already, which cost as much as a complete Brembo big brake kit! Rotors are outrageously expensive also. Don't know if this is unusual, maybe the extra weight/power of the 430 is causing excessive wear. Any track junkies would be wise to reconsider CCB's on the 430.

22. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003

New pads at 3000 miles!?!? Are you serious?? WHY?

23. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Can't remember exactly, but 3 or 4 track days, none at a track hard on brakes. I was at the same days as him, in a much heavier car, driving as fast or faster and I got better life out of my brakes!!