Top Gear Tonight on Discovery! Must watch! | FerrariChat

Top Gear Tonight on Discovery! Must watch!

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by jordan747_400, Aug 17, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Tonight on the Discovery channel at 10pm...They are reviewing the Enzo and comparing it to other supercars...I believe an XJ220, F40, McLaren F1, Porsche CGT, and Zonda make guest appearances :)

Set your VCR or watch it! You wont be disappointed.

2. charliebronson

charliebronson Formula 3

Dec 5, 2004
    Full Name:
    Charliebronson
    Thanks for reminding me.

3. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Embarassingly, Clarkson refers to the Enzo as the F60 multiple times. :(

The show is good, but could have been a lot better. They only really drive the Enzo in anger, which of course is great, but they had the opportunity to do so much more with the cars they have on hand and it's a shame they don't. I assume the owners who provided them just weren't interested in having them flogged in typical TopGear fashion.

Another problem I have with the episode is that Clarkson misquotes the F40s 0-60mph time at 3.2 seconds. I recall on it's best day the car was good for about 3.8-3.9secs. The 3.2 second time belongs to the McLaren F1 - a car that Jeremy Clarkson never has said a nice word about even though the rest of the motoring press can't get enough of it. Rumor has it that Gordon Murray called Clarkson a "wanker" at some point and Clarkson has had it out for him ever since. :D

If anyone is interested in downloading the Enzo segment, you should be able to get it here. If the link dies I can put it up somewhere else. :cool:

Right-click, Save Target As...

>8^)
    ER

4. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    I have this episode in .mpg format. I laughed my ass off when the XJ220 launches and rapes the Zonda six ways from Sunday making it seem the Zonda should have even had an appearance, LOL!

One thing for certain is, they aren't made like they used to be anymore. Supercars are now so user friendly, like the politically correct world has done to that thing called reality..

Worth keeping on the HD. Too bad the cars weren't ripped up on the track and than notes compared like they did with the best handling car segment.

Sunny

5. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I liked the episode, but after careful consideration, I'm going to have to vote for the Rover. LOL

6. charliebronson

charliebronson Formula 3

Dec 5, 2004
    Full Name:
    Charliebronson
    aaaaaaargh might have to miss the show.

7. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Just saw the commercial for it an hour ago! 15 more minutes!!!!

8. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    So did anyone else get the urge to go out and buy a POS for under 500 dollars to flog around on a few autocross days? Might be more fun than not :)

After it dies, sell it for parts and make a profit!

9. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    So friggin KEWL!!!! Everything he said about the F40 was dead on!!! I got wood!!! gotta go!

10. frank4cars

frank4cars F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Frank F.
    I know Jeremy's bias regarding F1s, but wasn't the McLaren the lightest and most powerful, quickest and fastest car there? Slightly confusing. And is the XJ220 really quicker than a Zonda? That was kind of a relevation. They could have gone for the F40 vs. Enzo, 959 vs. CGT, EB 110 vs. Veyron, F1 vs. SLR angle too. Might have been interesting to see the contrasts.

11. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    There is a rally-type event in N. Cali (I think) that allows you to do something similar. The idea is that you buy a car for $500, and then you have to drive it in the rally for 500 miles. At the end, you donate the car to charity. Sounds like a lot of fun, and it is something I would like to try one day. I think the event is called the Double500. There used to be a webpage, but I don't remember it. Will have to try to do a search later.

Dom

12. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    The show was okay. I was hoping it would be one of the "racing a train" shows. Now THAT would have been a show!

13. OC Speed Junkie

OC Speed Junkie Formula 3

Aug 6, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    A bit confused. The enzo is not also called the f60? Is it just the Enzo? Please correct me so i don't look stupid when I talk about it. I have said f60 a few times.

14. micah

micah Karting

Aug 12, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Full Name:
    Micah Weber
  15. SilverF20C

SilverF20C Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Just stay away from the kitchen :D

16. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    That'e because of where you were BEFORE the show!

17. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    There was a lot of speculation prior to the Enzo's release that it would wear the F60 name. It doesn't though - and calling it that is indeed a mistake.

In fact, the current rumor mill seems to claim that Ferrari is preparing another hyper car now that will be called the F60. It's hard to say for sure when that will happen. The F40 was introduced in 1987, but the F50 came out in 1995. Maybe they will wait till 2007 to introduce an F60 and get the anniversary cars back on track. It's all just speculation at this point unless you know somebody that knows somebody that knows something. :D

>8^)
    ER

18. ELIM

ELIM Formula 3

Apr 29, 2005
    OC, CA
    Full Name:
    Elliot
    Erik, thanks for the vid. Love these Top Gear segments! This is great especially I'm rarely home to catch these on Discovery and it's great to have them on the PC.

19. OC Speed Junkie

OC Speed Junkie Formula 3

Aug 6, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Thanks Eirc,
    Enzo it is.

20. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003

Frank, Download it and watch it again. They say the F1 is the fastest car, but then say it has a clunky trans, is hard to steer and the back end wants to step out. Sorta like a missile out of control. I don't know how true that is. Maybe it was just the set up of THAT car. I do know the stuff about the F40 was right on. Really funny stuff about being at the stop light because it's true. You can't leave the line hard because it will spin the tires, then when it gets rolling and the boost kicks in it rockets ahead, now it's time to shift and do it all again.....

I'm sure the turbos on the XJ220 have a lot to do with how fast it is.

I would like to see track times on the F40....... They would be rather slow I would guess.

21. NY550

NY550 Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2005
    Long Island
    i really wanted to watch it but then totally forgot about and missed it completly.

22. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    Download it from the link posted in the 3rd post of this thread.
    Great show.

23. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Not really, to me anyway. The XJ220 definitely didn't just floor it from the line - they launched the car. It produces just over 200ft lbs of torque at its 1,000 IDLE and weighs 3,300lbs. The only F-car that can dish it out to the XJ220 is the Enzo, until they start modifying F-cars (yikes).

They are definitely more capable than people give them credit for. They are big because of aero, but they are luxurious, well balanced, though can benefit from bigger brakes. In reality, the brakes perform very well but because of the speed the car is capable of, they seem less effective like they do in Gran Turismo 3/4 for Playstation. In the "twisties" or in a track environment, the Zonda will post better times. In a slalom environment, the XJ220 will keep up with an earlier Zonda without much difficulty.

Simply put, the Jag is a straight line monster, under appeciated and undervalued. The TWR modified XJ220-S eat (rape) anything except big power F/I Vipers, Lingenfelter Vettes, and Lambo's and the aero favors the Jag on the top end. Its a V6, so think of the XJ220 as the Buick Grand National of the supercar world but lighter, torquier, and more luxurious. Thats why I will own one and before I retire.

Sunny

24. skyhigh

skyhigh Formula 3

Jun 28, 2004
    SoCal
  25. frank4cars

frank4cars F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Frank F.
    Thanks for the clarification, Rick and Sunny. I have to say that I prefer the three older cars in terms of looks at least. Although there's not a dog in the bunch. I guess I'd take one of everything from that list though. :D