348 Door Wiring | FerrariChat

348 Door Wiring

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by sweetspotav, Aug 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sweetspotav

sweetspotav Karting

Nov 21, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    John Cawley
    #1 sweetspotav, Aug 16, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have owned my '90 348ts for six months now. Upon purchase of the vehicle, the windows went up and down slow (both drivers and passneger), the drivers door open indicator didn't work, the drivers speaker didn't work, and the door locks didn't work. Heck, three wires weren't even connected! I am going to follow the advise of Miltonian (http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46232&highlight=348+electrical). Upon pulling the door panel off this evening, I found the electrical gremlin in my door. My f-door was f'd-up!!! I will post results in a few days. Thanks to everyone for posting info like this. It makes attacking something like this less intimidating.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Oh, my goodness!!

What does the connector on the other door look like?

Edit: Wait a minute, those don't look like factory wires. Has someone partially rewired this already (and done a horrible job)??

3. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    wow! a lot of consendation...wire it straight through and never worry about those terrible door connectors again...

another thing...my door indicator did not light up on my car either...after swapping bulbs with the other side (which did work), it still did not work and so i was wrong in guessing it was the bulb...it turned out to be the door switch..so i switched it with the one for the motorized belts (it uses the same one) and wala! it worked...i kept it like that because my driver side belt didnt work so who cares about the passenger side also...

swap the bulbs first, if that doesnt work, swap the door pin switch.

4. sweetspotav

sweetspotav Karting

Nov 21, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    John Cawley
    That's what I said when I pulled the cover back. There is a couple wires that have been spliced back further. I plan on cleaning up the whole thing. Do you think that might fix a couple of my problems??? LOL!!!!! Thanks for the help!

5. PassionIsFerrari

Aug 15, 2004
    :) i think thats gonna fix A LOT of those problems!!!! but I BET, I BET it doesnt fix them all! I bet you at least one and possibly two need another remedy.....because its italian of course...its never, that, easy...

6. sweetspotav

sweetspotav Karting

Nov 21, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    John Cawley
    I am pretty sure it won't fix all the problems, but it will be a pretty inexpensive fix for a number of problems. Just wait untill I get to the other side of the plug. The passenger door looks better, but I'm sure I'll find something in there. As you can see, I think all the gremlin's camped out in the driver's door and had a drunken party!!!!

7. sweetspotav

sweetspotav Karting

Nov 21, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    John Cawley
    #7 sweetspotav, Aug 16, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Godspeed, my friend. I spent 36 labor hours rewiring my doors, and the window still blows goats. I did the whole freakin' thing from inside the wheel well to deep inside the door. Bottom line? Let's find some manual cranks for these windows and have a solution that actually works.

Shame of Ferrari for this pile of electrical crap. Don't even ask about a replacement wiring harness... you're talking deep $1K

9. PassionIsFerrari

Aug 15, 2004
    im hoping to make it over that way in the next 2-3 weeks...if you havent gotten it all fixed, maybe we can both get our hands dirty and kick those gremlins out of there. I'm not the ferrari expert by any means, but I am pretty good with solving electrical problems...and maybe you can figure out what that crazy as whining noise is on my car!

10. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    What is funny about the whole thing is that the purists think its better to leave it stock. Hahahahaaa.

11. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    tmobileguy...we'd love to have you over to Tallahassee! Our next Gulf Coast Exotics get-together is 9/3/05 (Saturday AM). Depending upon how dismantled John's 348 is, I've got a spare space in my garage for overnight if you need it.

12. sweetspotav

sweetspotav Karting

Nov 21, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    John Cawley
    I'm confident that it will at least fix the window problem. When I was pushing the window up button and nothing would happen, I would grab the wiring harness and move it up and down and then all of a sudden, the window flew up and down!!! Hopefully it will fix some of the others.

13. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

John -

I should rephrase: rewiring my door did fix the intermittent window problem. The drivers window now works perfectly -- like a Honda! The passenger window goes down very fast (from both door controls). The passenger window goes up very fast until the last 6 inches. Then, it absolutely crawls. The final 1 inch is only operable from the passenger switch. The drivers side switch for the passenger window seems to give-up for the final inch.

Mind you, I replaced ALL switches with brand new ones (hey, I have a parts bucket!), all the wiring in both doors, and totally eliminated that stupid pin-type connector. I'm just saying, be prepared to spend some serious time on this project.

Finally, do yourself a favor: remove the cheese grater and work from -outside- as well as inside the door. You'll get more light, and have much more room to work.

-Daniel

14. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    You need to adjust the window guide on the door. It is the little black triangular thing and the end of the door. When you open the door you will see two allen screws above and to the side of the red door light. Loosen those and then adjust the guide so that the window rolls all the way up freely. Once the guide is adjusted to were you want it tighten the allen screws back down.

15. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    hey dan, is it possible that the motors are bad ???? AND WHERES MY MATS ??? LOL

16. dan_west348ts

dan_west348ts Rookie

Nov 21, 2003
    Hollister, CA
    Full Name:
    Dan West
    When I purchased my '91 348 years ago, I had window problems also. I asked Ferrari of Los Gatos to fix it. The wiring and conectors looked as bad as yours. I ended up replacing the window regulators to improve the speed. It was very expensive for the replacement requlators. There was not much improvement. Repair the wiring and live with the slow speed of the windows.

My two cents.

Dan

17. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

What a dumbass I am! Thanks ernie, I'll give it a try tonight!

18. sweetspotav

sweetspotav Karting

Nov 21, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    John Cawley
    Thanks for everyone's help. I'm going to try and work on some of it tonight. I'll post completed pictures after the job is done.
    P.S. Daniel just hit 2000 posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Another trick...spray all the window felts with silicone spray to lube them up a bit. You will need to reapply every 4 to 6 months...but keeps everything moving smoothly.

20. Jeff Pintler

Jeff Pintler Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2005
    Richland
    Full Name:
    Jeff Pintler
    I had my car shipped from Florida on an open trailer and the pass window wouldn't roll up.....so all the way to Washington State with the window down. Yikes! Anyway, I think what happens is individual wires flex and break. So try to verify all the copper strands of each wire are in good condition. Also use a wire tie about one inch from the connector as a strain relief. My car also had a couple of crimp on connections going to the motors that I cleaned and soldered. YMMV

Jeff Pintler
    89 348tb, 86TR

21. FNU_LNU

FNU_LNU Karting

May 22, 2004
    New England
    Full Name:
    AM
    Daniel - did adjusting the window frame work

22. john a barnes

john a barnes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2018
    muskego wi
    Full Name:
    John a Barnes
    Does any one have the pin-out diagram and wire colors for the left door connector. I mean at the round qwik-lock. I have a 1994 spider made in june of '94

23. john a barnes

john a barnes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2018
    muskego wi
    Full Name:
    John a Barnes
    I have a wiring diagram but now I need some real detail. thanx

24. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #24 Wade, Sep 10, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Qavion likes this.
  25. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I can't say I've seen a pinout or diagram for the spider in the last 5 years of looking, only diagrams for the non-spider cars. They have extra pins compared to the non-spider cars, but I can't tell you if the unused pins on the non-spider cars correspond to the additional pins on the spider cars. Ferrari may have shuffled the pins on the spider. Note also, the commonly available pdf diagrams have been known to have different pinning from the actual car (or they may vary from car to car).

You say you have a diagram, but you may need several diagrams to cover all the pins. e.g. "Windows", "Power Mirrors & Doors", etc. Do you have a specific problem or are you repinning the whole connector?

Can you read the numbers on the door connector?

Welcome to FChat )

(P.S. You may get more results on the 348/355 forum.)