Photo shop users | FerrariChat

Photo shop users

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by detailman, Dec 4, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. detailman

detailman Formula Junior

May 26, 2002
    Indiana & South Caro
    Full Name:
    David
    I see some of the work you guys do with photo shop and would like to learn. What type of program do you use and where do I find it ?
    Thanks, David

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Hey, Dave, i'm not sure what you're asking...

First you said: "I see some of the work you guys do with photo shop..."
    but then you said: "What type of program do you use and where do I find it ?"
    The program they use IS Photoshop... If i'm not understanding the question correctly, please right me... If that's what you mean, though, then Photoshop is the program most of these folks are using... i used to use it when i worked as a graphic DESigner a few years ago... Awesome program - equally as costly... :)

3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    See my avatar? Modded that from a plain ol' SpeedRacer to SchumieRacer in ArcSoft, which came with my OS.

Off the top of my head (Ow)... Names which might be mentioned, but don't cost an arm and a leg are:

Adobe PhotoShop Elements - All one needs without spending a lot (relatively speaking) for the more casual user who wants Pro results - for less than $100.00 Street Price.
    ArcSoft - Does quite a bit of what PhotoShop does, though not all.
    CorelDraw - Some prefer it over Adobe for a few reasons.
    IrfanView - Free - For me, good for converting something done in MS Paint to a different file format, switching formats altogether, doing some effects, reducing animation frame counts, thereby lowering animation size - and so forth.
    Jasc - Highly regarded
    The Gimp - Free - Linux program which has been ported to Windows.

4. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    I prefer Adobe Photoshop. As DES said it is rather expensive, around $700 if I remember correctly. If you don't have any experience with photo manipulation software I would suggest taking an introduction to Photoshop class at a community college. Even if you go once and decide it isn't your thing it's still worth the effort. Adobe offers significant student discounts and you should be able to pick it up at the college bookstore for ~$300.

5. prohydro

prohydro Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Another alternative is to go your local Borders or Barnes and Noble and pick up the "Adobe Photoshop 7 Classroom in a Book." Excellent learning guide. Go through the book lesson by lesson (doing each lesson), don't just skim it. I learned AfterEffects that way, and it was effective enough that I was able to use it professionally in about a week (I'm sure nobody else here has said, "yeah, I can do that!" and then had to learn some software... ;-). If you really need to to be able to ask questions, go the Comm. College route. But remember, the pace of the class will proceed at the speed of the slowest member, so be prepared for there to be a 55 year old mother in there wanting to learn photoshop so she can edit her family's picture for their Christmas card, and spending half the class having the instructor show her how to create a folder on the desktop. That is a very good call about using it for the student discount though!

6. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    I use Adobe Photoshop CS(the latest version). I agree that it will help you a lot to take a class in Photoshop, but remember that just playing around with it for hours on end can be just as informative.

7. detailman

detailman Formula Junior

May 26, 2002
    Indiana & South Caro
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks, I have one program that lets you do some editing of pictures but not everything that I would like to do. Mark, I think it was you that did the "Ferrari Chat" manipulation of "Ficht Club" if so that was awesome,one of my favorites.

8. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    practice practice practice. there are many tutorial sites out there, use them to learn techniques, not necessarily for results. get the full version if you really want to get good at it, because the LE version which comes with some scanners has its limitations. and one more thing, practice practice, practice.

9. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    Buy Photoshop but you must plan on many hours to learn how to use it. In the end you will be the MASTER.

aehaas

10. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Randy, you couldn't be more correct.

11. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    Suggest you pick up a copy of Jasc Paint Shop Pro at somewhere around $60 and build up your skills. It has almost as much power as PS (I use both) and is available for download. The also have a 30 eval.

- JMG

12. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
  13. ferrari4me

ferrari4me Karting

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Save your $$ and simply download it from a bit torrent site, they even have the tutorial cd... FOR FREE. You just need dsl/cable, it takes a few hours so just download it by leaving the comp running through the night. Very easy and absolutely free.

14. R33

R33 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    Kent,UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Creed
    I'm just getting Photoshop CS2 V.9.0.
    Hopefully should be a good upgrade from my current V7.0

15. 99355F1

99355F1 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    CG
    R33- it's not worth the price, IMO. CS, 7.0, and CS2 are really similar, IMO.

Detailman - Well, if you're on a budget, as mentioned, Photoshop Elements, it's basically a bread and butter (But very good for beginners, it has alot of the useless crap taken out) Photoshop for <$100
    The full shibang, Photoshop CS2 is +/-$700. The price doesn't justify the software, in my opinion.

Once you get photoshop, theres lots of great tutorials, and sites for it. I administrate www.heavy-industries.org, you might find it helpful.

There's also tons of others. Automotive photoshop sites include www.digimods.co.uk, www.photoshopedup.com.

It's fun. and addicting.

16. ferrari4me

ferrari4me Karting

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I, i mean a freind.... downloaded photoshop cs2 9.0 for free in a few hours off of a bit torrent site. Anyone else use these sites or do you all shell out the $$?