How to check coolant hoses | FerrariChat

How to check coolant hoses

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by BULL RUN, Aug 21, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    Mine is a 92' below 10K mile car. I'm kind of paranoid about busted hoses since it's one thing that will surely leave you stranded. What else can you look for besides the softness of the hose. Mine are not hard or cracked, but is this the only test for determining when to change? Visual inspection is not all that easy on some of them.

2. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    bubbling in an area while the coolant is hot is another way.

If they have not been changed since 92, I would get them replaced.

THey are replaced during a major service which is 30k OR 5 years. I suspect you are overdue

3. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    I wonder if someone has a PDF file or JPEG of the cooling system hose layout. It's a 92' 348.

4. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    I do but it is on my laptop. Can you wait for tomorrow?

5. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    Sure thing, I appreciate it.

6. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    It's on page 35 of your OM if that helps too.

7. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    Ha, it sure is, that should be good enough thanks.

8. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    The hoses always seem to "wear out" right near where they attach to the block. This makes sense becasue this is where the hose is exposed to the most heat.
    On the 328, the heater hose where it attaches to the block is a critical area and needs to be checked; on this model it is easy to check when in the the LH wheel well area, you can run you hand down the hose and if it is bad it will be swollen around the nipple at the block. The problem can be fixed by splicing a foot or so of new hose in.

Also, FYI, the Bentley BMW manual has some info about hoses--what they likely will look like if they are failing do to exposure, heat, etc. If you want, I can try to post a picture tomorrow or so.

Mark

9. scorpion

scorpion Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Kentucky
    When I changed my Ferrari belts last winter I changed all the hoses I could easily reach and the existing ones showed absolutly no sign of deterioration. All my hoses were replaced with green stripes when the engine was rebuilt 8 years and 10,000 miles ago. One had a slight leak where a clamp was loose but that was it. In older cars, hoses would burst all the time. However, I was told that most new hoses are manuifactured from EPDM which will last next to forever as long as they are not exposed to excessive amounts of UV, oil etc. I have no idea what the make up of oem Ferrari hoses is or was. When in doubt replace the hose but I wouldn't loose too much sleep over it. Also, how old are your belts - as mentioned before, the hoses should be replaced as part of your major belt service and we all know how often that needs to be performed (oh no here we go again with the belts).