Duc 916 vs 996... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Duc 916 vs 996...

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by bobafett, Aug 15, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jharkercfduc

jharkercfduc Karting

Sep 4, 2004
    riverside california
    Full Name:
    jonathan harker
    bobafett, then get a 748, so you don't worry about braking so much and you have time to learn how to corner, and learn how to keep your speed through the corners, and then pass the liter bikes all over the track.

2. mpolans

mpolans Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2004
    FYI, for those under any sort of misconception, a stock 748 will have significantly more power than a stock 900. It's around 100hp vs. 80hp.

3. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

I find it interesting whenever there is a discussion about modern sportbikes, how our perception changes over time.

let's see, IIRC:
    748 ~ 90 hp
    916 ~ 102 hp
    996 ~ 108 hp
    998 ~ 115 hp

The point is that all of these bikes possess lots of horsepower. Even the cute, cuddly 748 has more than enough to put you in the morgue. Thirty years ago, even the hottest bikes struggled to better 80 hp in stock form. These were considered fire-breathing widowmakers at the time. Today their power would be considered very tame, and boring to people used to modern bikes.

If you were to ride all four bikes listed back-to-back, you would be able to feel a difference. For a new rider, all of them will probably feel fast. A 998 will not just fly out from under you with massive amounts of power compared to a 996. Likewise, a new rider will not become bored with a 748 the second afternoon. Buy what you can afford, get some protective gear and training, and just go ride whatever you buy. They would all be enjoyable.

And, if you were to invent a time machine and go back to 1975, even a base model 748 would be the best performing four stroke motorcycle on the planet.

4. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    The riding position of a 916 is extreme. It's not just bent over but more like your ass is 8' higer than your wrists. Without traveling at a good speed the bike is very tiring to ride and I always wore an athletic supporter to clear the family jewels. I love the bike but it is not a cruiser. It is a street legal race bike and it is fast and unforgiving. Many guys can't handle the bike. It will treat you right and then you screw up and your on the road. It is a bike for experienced riders in my ipiniion. It is beautiful and exotic. I would never recommend this bike as a first or second bike.

5. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Would a basic run of the mill Monster make a good first bike? Or should I go for something else?

Thanks

6. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    A 750 Monster was my first bike and i kept it for several years- it was fun modifying it (largely getting rid of all the plastic crap), adding pipes, bar-end mirrors, etc. You can see it in my profile. I recently traded it for a Moto Guzzi. I'd recommend the MOnster, it was light, easy to manage, cool, and relatively inexpensive as Italian bikes go.

7. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Dan, I agree you should get the 748 so I can kick your a$$ with my 998! Just kidding, of course :D BTW, for those not in the know, Dan and I are into serious HP wars, after he proved his 550 is just as fast as my 575 :( Seriously, I think a 100 hp is just about right on a bike, may be a bit much at first but knowing Dan he'll work into it just fine. Anything over 100hp comes down to rider ability unless the road is straight. Just like I'm sure Roland could kick my butt in a Subaru (providing he had a kit kat or two first).

MIke

8. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Mike - If this were a war, I'd be losing battle after battle. My poor 550 was huffing and puffing and all your '75 was saying is "cmon, I'm still waiting..." :D

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I will say this: it's gonna be a hell of a lot harder to take those pictures. :D

--Dan

9. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I think a monster would be good. Get used to riding before the plunge. The price of a used monster is cheap and that is what I would recommend.

10. mpolans

mpolans Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2004
    If you insist on getting a Ducati for a first bike, the Monster 620 or 750 would be your best bets. If you can get off the Ducati name, I'd suggest the Suzuki SV650.
    Keep in mind, there is a 99.999% chance you will at least drop the bike within the first year of riding.

11. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I also recommend taking a driving course. Don't try to keep up with experienced riders either. That will get you hurt.

12. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Mike & Dan:

I'd take both of your bikes (Dan in the future) to Marc Salvisberg, and let him tune it. The 996 with pipes, K&N, Chip, when I got it, had a flat spot. Doesn't any more, and has another 10 HP over what it had to start with. On his dyno, I'm up about 15 HP over a stocker. What's most important though, is that it pulls from just about everywhere, which means you can torque it off the corners.

The bike I won the BOTT championship on had 80 HP at the rear wheel. However, it only weighed 270 #s w/gas, etc. That was in the middle 80s.

Art

13. Newlands61

Newlands61 Rookie

Aug 22, 2005
    Malibu, CA
    Full Name:
    Brien
    I love my Ducati's and ride whenever possible. As a first bike, consider the Monster S4R, or an earlier S4. I purchased a 2001 Monster S4 which has the 916 motor, plenty of carbonfibre, and other sweet bits and pieces. You'll get the great 916 motor with a much more rideable poistion. Modify the gearing, change out the engine management system and replace the pipes with Termignonis and you'll never stop smiling. The sound and performance will stir your soul like any of the Ferraris on this site.

Of course, do as I did and following some time on the Monster go out and buy a razor sharp 999S and and you'll have two fine Italian choices on your hands!

Good luck and don't settle for anything less.

14. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Dan,

Glad to hear you are finally getting on two wheels. Talk to Sherpa, he helped me through my search of my first Duc a while back. Great guy, knowledgeable, and I know he is good friends with you.

I have a 748, 998s, and a R1. The R1 is a fun bike, it replaced a gixxer 750 for me. But Ducs are a different class of bikes. I have been riding for a while, so for a beginner, I always recommend sv650, but since you are in the market, go out italian style.

Everyone has pretty much told you what you needed to know. I disagree with Ralph, that 748's are everywhere. Gixxers/yamis/kawis are everywhere.... Then again everything is relative..

The 748 was a rather slow transition for me..the bike did not have the straight line power of the inline 4s I was used to. But the torque was great, and the bike really shines on the twisties.

My bikes are all stock except for pipes. Don't beleive all the BS about not being able to ride the Duc in traffic becuase of the stock clutch. I have racked up considerable mile on the 405 in LA..and the stock clutch is fine.

If you are in LA, you are welcome to come check mine out and do back to back comparison.

I am very happy with the 998s. The motor really brings the bike to life, and you have the beautiful design to boot.

Someone mentioned ProItalia---don't buy from them..the most OVERPRICED sales place in CALI.

They have good service..but bike sales are ridiculous.

There are some places in Orange county I could hook you up with if you are serious.

Honestly, as I spent 4.5 years in Northern California, there are plenty of used Ducs for sale if you look around. PM me if you want more details.

Good luck in your venture.

BTW at my height/weight I found the 748 to be slow. So you can judge for yourself :)

15. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Ryan,

Good to hear from you. Yeah, RS is always egging me on! :D

Plenty of bikes around, and plenty of great people in the community.

Given that you weigh probably 1/10th of me, 748 will be interesgting :D

--Dan

16. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Who? Me? :D

Just wait until we get on the track!!!

17. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    You, me, Mike, Art and Keith C? Dude... that is trooooooouble!

--Dan

18. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Dan, xsssive has gsxr1000, still has factory *dust*. Now if we can just get him away from his 1000hp jet boats.

19. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Let me know. I'll bring the Ducati Austin Anthony Gobert machine. I have a starter on it now so it's a lot easier to live with.

20. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    My point exactly..thus choose wisely :)

21. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    MS is a crazy, scary, wacky guy. He has *way* too many hobbies :D

--Dan