"308" and "quattrovalvole" Badge Emblem Restoration | FerrariChat

"308" and "quattrovalvole" Badge Emblem Restoration

Discussion in '308/328' started by Mike C, Aug 23, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    #1 Mike C, Aug 23, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It's been bothering me for years, and today I finally did something about it. My "308" rear badge had faded to a dark grey chrome look which reflected plain silver at many angles rather than the black it should be. My "quattrovalvole" badge was even worse, with *all* the black gone, so it was just a silver badge with the white lines in the letters barely visible. I had considered buying replacements, but until recently the "quattrovalvole" badge wasn't available anywhere (but Ferrari-UK has reproductions available now).

So... I decided to refinish them. I should have taken close-up pics before I started, but unfortunately I didn't. But you can see from this picture that they're not very high contrast.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    #2 Mike C, Aug 23, 2005
    The 308 badge has two pins on the back with "keeper clips" like those on the "Ferrari" script on the engine bonnet. The quattrovalvole badge is held on with adhesive tape, so to get this off I took some fishing line and worked it back and forth behind the badge until I cut through the tape and it came off... it only took a few minutes, and didn't damage the paint.

I then soaked them for 10 minutes in lacquer thinner, and took a toothbrush to them to remove the white centerline paint. The part of the emblems that should be black had no paint on them, as they had originally been black anodized, which I could tell from the backs that still looked dark.

To refinish, I first sprayed them with black primer (spray can). That probably would have been sufficient, but then I also coated them with satin black spray paint. After they had dried for a couple of hours, I brought them in the house and went to work on the white centerlines. That's the tricky part, but having the right tool certainly helps. That tool is a "paint flow pencil" which looks a bit like an airbrush but instead just flows liquid paint out one of the replaceable tips. I used the smallest tip size for the "quattrovalvole" and the #2 size for the "308". The gadget cost me $35, which is less than it would have been to replace even just one of the emblem badges. Here's what it looks like:

Kent Dellenbusch likes this.
  3. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    #3 Mike C, Aug 23, 2005
    After drying and a little touch up again on the black, I added a couple coats of semi-gloss clear spray lacquer. And here's the final result -- like new, same day!! Thanks to Steven Rochlin who was kind enough to send me a picture of his recently added new emblems, and to Verell who told me about the Paasche flow pencil.

4. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Very nice, Mike! Again, I'm impressed with your skills. It's a gift.

Take care of those golden hands.

Barry

5. MJT328GTS

MJT328GTS Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2005
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    MJT
    That looks awesome! Nice job. I'll have to remember this technique if I every have to redo my 328 emblem.

Thanks for the information!

6. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Mike...that is awesome! Mine are in need of refinishing and while my car is down over the winter for belts and suspension bushings, I'll have to redo my emblems.

Damn Cool!

7. barbo1

barbo1 Rookie

Aug 21, 2004
    Huntington beach ca.
    Full Name:
    gerald barbisan
    Mike, mine look the same as the before pic. where did you find the tools for the job? looks absolutely awsome!

8. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    You can get the Paasche flow pencil at some craft/hobby stores or automotive paint supply stores, or order it through Eastwood. I happened to buy it from an eBay guy I'd done business with before: http://snipurl.com/h6m6

The spray cans I had on the shelf already but you can buy them at WalMart, Lowes or Home Depot. For the liquid white paint I used Createx brand water-based airbrush paint, which you can get for a couple of dollars at most craft stores like Hobby Lobby. Though it's water based, heat it with a hair dryer to thoroughly flash off the moisture after you appy it, and then when you put on the clear lacquer it will be permanent. Alternatively, you could use Testors enamel that comes in those tiny bottles like is used for painting plastic models, but it will take longer to dry and is a bit messier for clean up since you have to use mineral spirits (paint thinner).

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Dude!!! That totally ROCKS!

Drop over! Someone painted mine with their wife's yellow toenail polish......not nice....not nice at all!

10. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    Mike looks GREAT, just like new !!

11. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Very nice job. I have a 1982 308, my emblem's are in bad shape also. What color should they be? Silver or Gold?

Thanks

12. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    #12 Mike C, Aug 24, 2005
    For your car, top one should be black with white line (like all 308s), bottom one silver with black line as shown below. Also see below for the proper configuration shown for most 208s, 308s and 328s, but recognize that sometimes the factory workers just took something "close" off the shelf. source: Original Ferrari V8 by Keith Bluemel

13. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    What a great job! I couldn't remember what mine looked like, so I went to the garage and, lo and behold, I have the same problem. I may be wanting to borrow your flow pencil in the near future.

14. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Glad my pics helped. ALWAYS glad to be of service.

15. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Thanks, that is a big help!

16. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Any time, my friend! I probably won't use it again for years!

17. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Huh....I had a 'silver' Quattrovalvole badge on the rear of my black '84 QV, and hated it. While looking for new door trim at T Rutlands, I asked them about finding a Black/White-inlay Quattrovolvole badge for my car - they had several in stock. It was about $100.

18. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Ferrari UK Classic Parts now has them for around $55. The 308 badge there is around $80.

19. Inowownone

Inowownone Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2005
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    Tom W.
    Mike,
    I was reading your thread about how you re-did your 308 and QV emblem on the back. Thoughts on what to use to remove the emblems if they are glued on. Obviously, do not want to hurt the paint. Fishing line? Rubbing Alcohol? Another Chemical?
    Also, what did you used to put them back on? Glue or Tape... what type of product was it? Thanks. Nice work on yours.. Tom

20. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Unfortunately, just about anything that will dissolve glue will also dissolve paint. However, if they're glued, it is most likely a rubber or silcone cement, which in that case I'd use the nylon fishing line trick again.

To put them back on, you can use double-sided foam tape available at Lowes or Home Depot or hobby stores. Plain double-sided photo tape, without the foam, probably wouldn't be thick enough to make good contact, and it's not going to be as water-resistant as the foam tape. In fact, 3M makes a foam tape that is designed to be used outdoors, which is what I used (it's gray, instead of white).

21. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Very impressive job Mike !
    Thanks for posting it.

22. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    For the first time, I noticed my "308" is silver also...any chance some came that way? I have hat it since '99 and never noticed it not being black. The "QV" is black, so why didn't that fade too. This car was always garaged kept, so why would the "308" fade to silver...ANY chance there were more than one variation of the "308"?

23. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I don't think so. I've got 3 different 308QV Ferrari factory brochures, and lots of books showing 308s at the factory or factory-new and ALL rear views of them show the "308" emblem in black with white inside line.

24. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #24 spiderseeker, Jul 23, 2006
    Mine don't appear to have any black either, IF black was original, the PO's waxing them must have removed it.
    I just looked at it again, this time with a magnifying glass and I can't see any trace of black paint on the "308". I love Mike's so much that I'd probably redo them in black just because it looks so great.
    (I'm more than a little embarrased to show this compared to Mikes) Looks like another project for the near future.

25. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    You'll more likely to know for sure when you pull yours off. The backsides of both my emblems were black, even though the exposed surfaces were so badly faded.