Merged: Latest News: Kimi signes pre-contrct for Ferrari 2007 | FerrariChat

Merged: Latest News: Kimi signes pre-contrct for Ferrari 2007

Discussion in 'F1' started by vanimal, Aug 25, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vanimal

vanimal Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Vaughan
    August 25, 2005

Hamburg, Germany – Finnish driver Kimi Raikkonen has signed a pre-contract to replace World champion Michael Schumacher on the Ferrari Formula 1 team for the 2007 season.

The rumour has been rumbling for some time but Germany's Bild daily has published the scoop and quoted "impeccable sources", adding that Schumacher could swop cockpits with Raikkonen as he is reportedly in talks with the Finn's current outfit, McLaren-Mercedes.

Bild's report said: "The first talks about a move of Raikkonen to Ferrari were held last year. Negotiations on the pre-contract were in February in March
    Schumacher driving for Mercedes - is it a German dream coming true?
    . The final agreement on this contract came in May."

Raikkonen, 25, was runner-up to Schumacher in 2003 and is currently fighting with Spaniard Fernando Alonso for the 2005 title. He is rated one of the world's best drivers.

Schumacher is the most successful F1 driver in history with seven World titles – five of them for Ferrari. He is down in third place this season and out of title contention as Ferrari's dominance waned.

The German's contract with Ferrari, for whom he has raced since 1996, has until the end of the 2006 season to run.

Bild said earlier this week that Schumacher had met Mercedes' motorsport chief Norbert Haug twice recently about what many in Germany see as a dream partnership – a German driving a Mercedes in Formula 1.

The daily also said Ferrari was probably unwilling to raise Schumacher's salary of €35-million (about R280-million) a year, as apparently demanded by his manager, Willi Weber.

"I must ask for more money when I start contract negotiations. That's normal," Germany's Sport-Bild quoted weekly quoted Weber as saying, with the manager allegedly asking for €40-million. - Sapa-DPA

2. TinaDK

TinaDK F1 World Champ

Jun 23, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Tina Poulsen
    But... from crash.net:

Michael Schumacher has repeated the line that he is not considering leaving Ferrari, despite having apparently met with Mercedes motorsport boss Norbert Haug on more than occasion in recent weeks.

The two Germans have not denied the meetings, but insist that they talked about little more than the state of Formula One in general, and what could be done to improve the spectacle. German tabloids picked up on the rumours at the weekend, suggesting that Mercedes may be about to tempt its former protégé back into the fold. Schumacher leapt into the international motorsport arena as part of the Three-Pointed Star's sportscar squad prior to his F1 debut with Jordan in 1991, but has been a Ferrari man since joining the Scuderia in 1996.

"I do not even want to comment on the rumour that I may be leaving Ferrari,"
    Schumacher said, "Everyone knows that I am closely tied to this team."

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  4. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    There is no doubt in my mind that Kimi will be at Ferrari in 2007.

The only question is whether or not Michael will join Kimi.

5. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    Again, this is all BS.

6. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    YES! Helloooooooooooo Kimi, and gooooooooodbye Schuey. We have gotten the best out of Schumacher, time for him to retire, but if he really wants to keep racing he needs to go do it somewhere else. And where does this guy get the nerve to ask for MORE money? :rolleyes:

Kimi is the man, and we can give him a race car that doesn't break.

Besides a driver, the team should be finding a new designer, it's going to hurt when Rory leaves.

7. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    With things as they are right now, obviously Ferrari is on the downslide, while McLaren is moving up. I think it would be a mistake for Kimi to leave McLaren. On the flipside, Schumey going to McLaren would be a very smart move on his part (shades of Fangio going to the team with the best car). I think Ferrari has provided all of the World Championships they can to Schumey, it wouldn't be a bad idea to move on.

8. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    With end of the V10 era this year any success this year means nothing for next year. It will be such a crapshoot with the unknown V8's that branding any team as on the way up or down is only valid until the current season ends. Things can change drastically from one year to the next with a simple rule change as we have seen this year.

9. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    I agree. With the engine changes, I don't think anyone knows what is going to happen, and a move now for just about anyone seems silly to me..

10. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/4184266.stm

Including:

McLaren team boss Ron Dennis added: "Our team is locked in an intense battle for the 2005 Formula One drivers and constructors world championship and everybody within the organisation, including our drivers, are and will continue to be 100% focused on this.

"We anticipate long-term relationships with both Kimi, who is in his fourth season with us, and Juan Pablo (Montoya).

"Consequently the team is not in discussion with any other driver, including Michael Schumacher about a possible team McLaren-Mercedes race seat."

11. Pagani16

Pagani16 Formula 3

Apr 25, 2005
    SoCal(San Diego)
    Full Name:
    Jason T.
    I won't believe it untill I see it and even then I WON'T BELIEVE IT. INSANITY.

12. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    The problem I see is that while Kimi is a great driver, he is not likely to the best spokesman for Ferrari like Schumi has been.

13. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Not mention his partying and cheating ways. Bad for corporate image LOL !

14. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    When exactly has Schumi been a spokesman for Ferrari? In those two sentence PR sanitized statements at F1 press conferences? Or when he addresses the factory workers in some prewritten Italian statements?

Schumi does a lot of great things. Speeches are not one of them. Neither does Kimi, so IMHO it's a wash.

15. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Perfectly stated. In addition, this is nonsense, MS got together with Norbert Haug to discuss F1 Business not a ride with Mercedes. Kimi is not going anywhere, why leave a team on the way up for one on the way down. The V8 Situation is no big deal and won't change the equation that much. Look at 89 the teams that had been strong in the turbo era were still strong in the 3.5 litre era.

16. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Next year is the first of a new formula and if I was Kimi I would want to see who's competitive and who's not before signing a 2007 contract.

Also 2008 could see F1 going in quite an other direction with teams going either left with Bernie and the FIA to GP1, or right, with the manufacturers to GPWC or whatever.

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Isn't speculating fun?
    :)

Maybe this is what Kimi thinks:

1) He'll clinch the title next year because he would have this year if it hadn't bee for reliability, which they now have cured.
    2) Because of the 2008 changes 2007 might be the last year he has a chance to drive for Ferrari in Formula 1. Who knows what series we'll have in 2008.

18. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K

Of course they would at this point. Teams deny things like this. Just like they did with Rubens. :rolleyes:

19. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    I agree Prova, in F1 terms a denial is more like a substantiation :)

20. henkie

henkie La Passione...
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 13, 2005
    Deil,The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    henkie
    You will see, Rossi will be in the F car in 2007.
    All these testrides and things, it's an agreed matter, a dream for the Italians and the sport. You know that Rossi is a nutty as a fruitcake. The F1 needs it. When I see that face of Raikonen I get sick. So bloody serious...

21. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Perhaps MS feels the Schumacher/Ferrari era is coming to a close, that Rossi is the future of Ferrari and that now is the time to leave?
    Brawn and Todt aren't leaving at the end of 2006?
    I wouldn't mind seing Kimi/Rossi in 2007 but I can't see Ferrari dumping Massa after a year.

In 2007 or 2008 ....Lewis Hamilton (he is british) will most likely be driving for McLaren. He is currently leading the F3 Euroseries and we might see him in GP2 next year. McLaren has been supporting since he was a 10 year old karting champion. Apparently, Ron Dennis is his manager.
    This is the guy I'm talking about http://www.mclaren.com/cgi-bin/frames?http://www.mclaren.co.uk/season/youngdrivers/lewis-hamilton.htm

22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I can. To me he is another Larini.

Having said that I can't see Rossi in a Ferrari or any F1 for that matter. It is strange that they bring him back for testing though. But his times suck so badly, I think it is hopeless.

23. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
    WORD,

Rossi will bring tons of fans to F1. He will be going in as the underdog, and has a good chance to kick car guy ass.

24. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    I remember laughing during the interviews after qualifying (Turkey GP). Didn't Kimi say something like "and lets see what happens tomorrow" like he always do and Fisi looked at him and Kimi had a little smile on his face while saying this. Anyways...
    Maybe I'm just imagining things...

Raikkonen looked less serious at Sauber. Once he was having some champagne with Heidfeld , Peter and some mechanics. They were all having a good thing. Maybe this is a bad example. :D
    Also just look at Coulthard now and when he was at McLaren. Different guy..
    KR doing interviews at McLaren or Ferrari or Minardi will always be "boring". Let this guy do what he is suppose to do and that is racing. That, is not boring.

25. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    lol...i woke up this morning and was greeted by reports splashed all over the local newspapers...