2006 Corvette C6 to offer paddle shifters | FerrariChat

2006 Corvette C6 to offer paddle shifters

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by 348 Turbo, Aug 24, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
  2. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    they look more like the mountain bike thumb shifters than paddles..given that the c6 manual is so notchy and not smooth, this may sell very well...i still perfer manuals to f1 type trannys...just more engaging on the street....

3. bretm

bretm F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2001
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Bret
    It's still an automatic, no really, it is. Unless I'm confused here, it's a tiptronic system a la Porsche, not an F1 system like Ferrari or BMWs SMG. So now you can "paddle" shift all you want through the slushbox. They have the same option for the GTO, although I think that is a 4spd auto and the Vette is a 6spd auto.

4. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    agreed, or disagreed. I'm not exactly sure. Some type of a hybrid between the two? Whatever, it sounds cool.
    Here's what it says:

6-Speed Paddle Shift automatic details

The new electronically controlled 6-Speed Paddle Shift automatic transmission is one of the most technologically advanced transmissions in the industry, featuring clutch to clutch operation, manual control shift operation and an integrated 32-bit electronic controller. A wide, 6.04:1 overall ratio helps deliver exciting acceleration performance along with excellent fuel economy.

The six forward gears have smaller “steps” between them, which enhances the feeling of performance and smoothness. The smaller steps also enable a steep, 4.02:1 first gear, which provides an improved-performance launch feel when compared with the previous four-speed automatic’s 3.06:1 first gear. There are two overdrive gears: a 0.85:1 ratio in fifth gear and a 0.67:1 ratio in sixth. The final drive ratio of Corvette models equipped with the new transmission is 2.56:1.

Technological sophistication is exemplified by two electronically controlled automatic modes, Drive and Sport; plus manual Paddle Shift. The Drive mode follows a specific shift schedule of predetermined shift points, while the Sport mode enables Performance Algorithm Shifting (PAS). PAS modifies shift patterns when performance driving is recognized by the controller. The Drive mode optimizes shifts for smoothness, while the Sport mode enables firmer shifts for better performance. With the Paddle Shift mode, gear changes are made with manual control paddles located on the steering wheel.

The performance and functions of the six-speed paddle shift transmission with automatic modes are guided by an integrated controller. The controller is located inside the transmission, reducing complexity. A new 300-mm torque converter, new rear bell housing, new driveline support and revised-length driveshaft also support the transmission’s integration into the Corvette.

5. TestaRoasta

TestaRoasta Formula Junior

May 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Logan
    Compared with the Ferrari systems, that looks unfun, if they're on the steering wheel, have fun hitting them when you're in a turn!

6. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    I wonder if the new paddle shifter will still force you to shift from 1st to fourth at slow speeds-(kidding of course). I thought the paddle shifters were going to be similar to a tiptronic or auto stick tranny too.

this line confuses me: "specifically the clutch to clutch operation"-

"The new electronically controlled 6-Speed Paddle Shift automatic transmission is one of the most technologically advanced transmissions in the industry, featuring clutch to clutch operation, manual control shift operation and an integrated 32-bit electronic controller.

7. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    if it works anything like the same system in the Grand Prix GXP it might be the second worst one ever (the Grand Prix was JUST AWFFFUL )

8. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Haha, at least you CAN hit them when you are in a turn unlike in a ferrari(which is a bad idea anyway unless you either drive slow or feel like crashing).

9. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    from the one pic shown, they look odd. They appear more like small buttons than paddles.
    Has anyone seen a clearer pic?

10. Dr JonboyG

Dr JonboyG Karting

Jul 26, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Gitlin
    Hey, at least the steering wheel looks like an improvement on the normal boat tiller GM sees fit to equip the car with. :D

11. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    I'm reading this as being a auto slushbox tranny with paddles. Which is not to say it is a bad thing.

The line between manual and auto is becoming increasingly blurred. Many of the paddle-shifting autos are very good-- they hold gears, and blip the throttle on downshifts. Others are incredibly fast, such as Mercedes speed shift, it actually gets faster acceleration times than the standard tranny. As powerful as most of these cars are, a torque converter is not that big a deal. And finally the F1/SMG have a questionable future in the face of Audi's twin clutch DSG tranny.

12. bretm

bretm F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2001
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Bret
    Lol on the skip shift.

Autos have clutch packs too, I don't know why they threw that line in though because it just confuses 99.99% of readers.
    I missed this when I skimmed the article, but seeing it now, it's definitely an auto.

Autos are getting really nice. I don't like them for a Ferrari, Vette, etc. but for my jeep a modern 5spd auto would be really nice, one with tiptronic like this so you could still engine brake when off-roading. My sister's MB (5spd auto) definitely shifts faster than I can shift the jeep (real long throws).

13. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    They are trying to make it sound like something more than it is. The to non-enthusiast it will pass for the same thing as F1/SMG.

14. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Looks like the + / - are on different sides then ferrari, MB, etc.

That's not a great idea IMO

15. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Formula 3

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim
    I believe you press the (+) buttons on the top on either side to upshift, and press the paddles on either side to downshift. So it's thumb-shift for upshift, and paddle-shift for downshift.

16. NY550

NY550 Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2005
    Long Island
    ..yea thats what i was thinking about, there not paddles there more like buttones you press.

17. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002