What is wrong with the 360? | FerrariChat

What is wrong with the 360?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by barabus, Aug 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    Well????

I see a alot of adverse comments on here about the 360, usually I must admit from 355 owners and I don't get it. The 360 looks great to me and as a later model it must be better in every way than the 355, Isn't it???

I hear the comment that the CS is the bollox and of course its faster lighter and a better track car but is THAT much different ?

So why the knockers, please explain?

2. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    mass produced not special i only like LTD build cars as they are quality and special and not only at every ferrari event

3. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    So 8 cylinders aside, you don't like 308's 328's 348's or 355's 360's or 430's either?

4. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    The styling's clumsy on the 360 (though at least the shut lines are a shed load more cohesive than the 430!). Much of it looks a bit frumpy and the lines aren't that tight.

The CS is much taughter - lower stance and the changes made to the front and side spoilers, wheels and ride height really help more than you'd think possible. If you see one next to a std. CS, you'd know what I mean. A bit like seeing a girl who was carrying too many pounds lose them - she suddenly looks much, much nicer than you thought possible, but all that's changed is she's become a bit more taught of line.

The std. 360 also sounds rubbish (a criticism that could also be levelled at the 355 tbh), and is too heavy. The CS also addresses these.

Much of what I dislike about the 360 is borne of it becoming much more "useable" (two sets of golf clubs in the car, allegedly much better built etc). But the problem with that is that you lose something. A bit of zing or pizzazz. It becomes a bit more Audi/BMW than perhaps it ought to be.

Doesn't make it a bad car though. In much the same way a Honda NSX isn't.

Everyone is making fast cars these days. Difficulty is that the differences between them are becoming more and more blurred. "Character" needs to be re-instilled in exotics in large quantities.

Then again, maybe I'm just getting old.

5. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    what do you mean getting you got ages ago

6. jimmmy

jimmmy Rookie

Aug 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jimmer
    I think 360's are the dogs b0llox !!!!!

7. Mark355

Mark355 Karting

Dec 7, 2004
    Gloucestershire
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Seems to me Ferrari don't always get the V8s right first time, almost like they are out before they're ready.

The early 348 was a tricky handler, later 348s improved and the 355 improved further. Seems to me there's a similar progression with the 360, CS, 430.

I agree about the loss of soul; I tried a 360 and came away feeling very ho-hum about it, but I would certainly like a 430...

8. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    I never liked the 360 when it first came out, prefering the 355 which I think is much prettier. However, over time it's grown on me and in certain colours looks really nice.

I was following a grey 360 spyder today. With the top down it looked fab, but Andy's right, it sounded crap.

Next car for me on the Ferarri ladder ......360 spider in blue.

But I still love my 348!

9. OmegaSteve

OmegaSteve Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2004
    Hertfordshire
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Someone described it as a jelly mould...Seemed quite a good comparison to me.

Good car but not a great one

10. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    It's probably something to do with single marque internet forums as much as anything else; it gets a bit rarified sometimes. Get into the outside world and most people would be more than happy to own any Ferrari, doesn't matter which one.

While the CS is undoubtedly a better car, I had a *lot* of fun in the Modena too. A pre-2000 car with a Tubi sounds sensational. I would have another one in a heartbeat. Sure the interior is better in the CS, despite being spartan, largely because it gets rid of those crappy aluminium bits, and the seats in the CS are a lot more comfortable than the standard Modena items (mainly shoulder support). I do miss the leather smell though. Lookswise I prefer the CS. Bottom line though, there are loads of aftermarket modifications to produce whatever look/feature you want. Compared to the 355, the main differential in my book is the torque and ergonomics. There's a fair bit of old school Italian in the instruments and driving position in a 355 and it seems like you have to rev the tits off it to get anywhere. Having said that, I would have a 355 in a heartbeat too, just to hear it howl. God help me if I ever get more garage space.

11. ZYMOL348

ZYMOL348 Karting

May 1, 2004
    Minehead Somerset
    Full Name:
    Anthony Rea
    The 360 is a far better car than the 348 and 355 and you would expect it to be, I have owned all three and IMHO it is a far better car The F430 must be even better

ZYMOL348

12. OmegaSteve

OmegaSteve Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2004
    Hertfordshire
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I agree, but styling wise the 360 doesnt even come close but it's all subjective.

13. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    #13 barabus, Aug 27, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Do I read correctly???????????

I knew it was only a matter of time before your guard slipped and you declared your love for Maranello's finest :D:D:D

BTW did'nt like 360's at all.
    Then I went to Graypaul for a look round and saw a red 360 spyder with the roof down, and I agree Angelis they look stunning, especially with the retro style seats (are they called daytona style?).

This is the only car I would sell the 355 for at the mo', in fact I would kill for one.

With a tubi on of course

15. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    That looks like jelly with custard poured over it!

16. ZYMOL348

ZYMOL348 Karting

May 1, 2004
    Minehead Somerset
    Full Name:
    Anthony Rea
    Sorry M8 i think the 360 style wise stands on its own .The 355 looks to much like the 348 they even share most body panels ,which i do like very much also .

ZYMOL348

17. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    Indeed you did.

The 355 is a prettier car than the 360 and is one of the prettiest cars ever made.......but then it has to be...as it was made for girls! :D

The prettiest recent ferraris in my opinion are the 308/328 and 355

The most aggressive looking car is the 348.

The 360 is sort of in between and at certain angles better looking than the 430, especially at the rear. The 430 rear looks like it's been squashed and pushed up.

But they all look lovely............!

18. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I hate to admit it, but the made for girls bit aside, you are spot on the money with these mate. But losing the roof on the 360 seems to give the car balance and poise, which the standard car lacks, and greatly improves its looks.

430. Stunning from the front, awkward from the side, rear quarters too high and the back end is all wrong. IMHO of course.

IMHO of course.

19. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Hazy - what he's neglecting to tell you is that he really wanted a 355, but was too impatient...

20. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    #20 barabus, Aug 27, 2005
    Sy your forgetting one thing :D

This is Bigger and Better looking and faster than your 348, this IS beautiful :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. panterasteve

panterasteve Formula Junior

May 4, 2005
    huddersfield
    Full Name:
    steve b
    #21 panterasteve, Aug 27, 2005
  22. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    WOW the seats in the middle like a Mclaren F1 :D:D:D

23. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    There is and you do...and perversely I think this is what imparts it with character.

You're prepared to work around these foibles because it looks so damn right, sounds so frickin glorious and simply makes you smile so much it hurts. Physically hurts.

Peaks and troughs - some bits are so obviously wrong that the bits that are right seem all the more right.

Once you iron these out, you get less peaks and troughs. BMW do this sort of thing well...

You're spot on about the single marque thing though. It's easy to forget how lucky we are. But then I suppose that's why we come here :)

24. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    Confession time..................

While looking for 348 I did contemplate a Testarossa. Unfortunatly, I threw away all my pastel coloured clothing and sandals so did'nt have the right wardrobe to go with the car.

:D

25. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Crikey Sy, if your wardrobe was a determining factor in the car you bought you'd be driving round in a Daewoo Matiz.

And while I'm at it, is there a Ferrari you didn't want before you bought your 348?