Porsche GT2 smashes 'Ring record ! | FerrariChat

Porsche GT2 smashes 'Ring record !

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by FLATOUTRACING, Aug 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Not sure in anyone else saw this. A modified, but street legal Porsche 996 GT2 smashed the Nurburgring lap record with a 7:15 lap. What's more impressive is that it beat the two previous record holders which were lightweight cars not really considered production cars (Turbocharged Radical SR3 and a Donkervoort RS).

Here is the story: http://www.kw-suspension.com/en/40_News/10_KW_News/10_Company/newsentry.php?we_objectID=827

Here is the incar video: http://www.edo-competition.net/movies/nordschleife_gt2rs.wmv

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod
    www.flatoutracing.net

2. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Haven't seen the video...but that is utterly impressive. It's a shame it will be broken soon though, I think they are prepping a turbo Radical for a Ring assault......that will be devastatingly quick.

3. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    That is NUTS!!!! The way he was BLOWING past the cars. All it would have taken was one doofus not looking in the mirrors and WAMMO!!!

4. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Yes you are right that's all it would have took. I'm afraid that it it were in the U.S. it would have happened. It seems to me that people are far more courteous on the road everywhere else than here. In Europe. if you're faster than another car you get let by. Here people drive around oblivious to everything around them or worse block you because they feel the own the goddangged road. Sorry, just venting from my drive back home from work this morning. Damned lapped traffic...............:)

5. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    racerx,
    I know what you mean. The people in the northeast are probably hands down, the worst drivers in the world, and I've driven all over the world. I get soo frustrated sometimes with the way people drive in Pa and in Nj. It's like they have their thumbs up their arse half the time, or they're on the damn phone and not paying attention. To make it even worse, I think the traffic signals add a lot to the problem. There is NO reason for 3 second green lights on major roadways. Or when you drive up to an intersection the light turns red, and there's no crosstraffic. So your just sitting at light that turned red for nothing. In Arizona, you pull up to a light that's red, and it turns green, pretty quickly I might add. Does that happen here. Hell no! You'll pull up to a red light, and it will stay red for two minutes with no crosstraffic, then when some traffic does come, the light turns red for them, and turns green for you. Almost like the sensors that change the signals are triggered by opposing traffic.

6. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    I love when people actually get pissed off at me for flashing my brights trying to get them to move over :rolleyes: Try hanging out in the left lane on the autobahn....

That is a blistering lap, it just shows what an animal the GT2 is, the factory left a lot of power on the table with that one.

7. 505T

505T Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Funny thing is I've had that video since early August and I did not even know it was the record breaker. I just watched it and thought, "Hmmm, thats fast!"

8. Tazinator

Tazinator Rookie

Aug 27, 2005
    Californ-i-a
    Full Name:
    Tazinator
    Yup, but also, as far as the Northeast being the worst, eh, thats arguable. Come to CA where it seems that its a requirement in most people's minds that the longer the distance you have to drive, the more you should be in the left lane, regardless if there is anyone in the lane next to you or if you are moving faster then the rest of traffic. PLUS, not many people understand what the flashing of the high beams means when you come up behind them and then cop an attitude. What I also love is when Mr Jones in the minivan/cargo van/economy car/pickup truck feels it his obligation to "teach me a lesson" by speeding up to not let me pass. In addition to all that, I cant get over the stopping in the middle of moving traffic on the freeway routine when they didnt move over to the exit lane in time to wait for a open spot to move over. Ive seen that little number done quite a lot recently. I got my lic in NJ, so I dont know what the testing proceedures and lessons tought here in CA are, but I know when a friend of mine took his exam years ago he was told he could fail up to 9 parts of the DMV test and still pass. Sad...

9. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Sorry, but recently moved from the Los Angeles area to Salt Lake City. The drivers here are worse than in LA. Left turns from right lanes and vice versa are an everyday thing. So are U-turns at major intersections without looking. Driving way too fast and then slamming on the brakes just in time seems the way most people here learned to drive. There are as many rear-enders here in a city of 150,000 as there are in LA, a city of 5 million. I've also seen a lot of guys on motorcycles passing on the right on what are really single lane roads.....

10. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    John, thanks for posting that, I have watched it twice already. That is one fast car. What kinds of speeds do you think he was reaching?
    Ballsy driver too. Certainly gets the adrenaline up, eh?

11. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I wonder how many seconds faster he would have been without the traffic slowing him? I'm glad to see a car like this hold the street car record rather than a Radical which doesn't fit the spirit of a street car at all.

12. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I used my GT2 many times to commute to NYC. It is so quick, and so lithe, that you never had to worry about left lane bandits. Before they could get another word out of their mouths into the cell phone, or take another sip of the skinny latte, you went by them in a rush of noise, whooommm! One of the better NY/NJ driver tactics is the 'how dare you merge' tactic which involves slogging in the right lane until the slogger sees someone on an entrance ramp, about to merge in ahead. The slogger then steps on it, to ensure that the ramp entrant cannot enter the flow of traffic. Somehow, Sequoia's, Navigators, and even higher powered sports sedans never presented a challenge when driving the GT 2. It is an excellent commuter car in this respect only.

13. infraredline

infraredline Formula 3

Mar 15, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    John
    That's true - even though he wasn't held up for significant amounts of time, he definately had to take a slower line a couple of times, and slow down a little on some of the straights which costs big time. My guess is he could turn a 7:10 if the ring was cleared off for him.

14. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    It's a beautiful track, that's for sure.

15. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Did he even do a complete lap?

16. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Anyone that claims that Americans are the worst drivers (anywhere in the USA), has never driven in China, India, or Vietnam. All three of those place make Rome look calm and orderly.

17. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Around 1:48 into the video, there is a crest, followed by a blind left hander. Is this where Jens and Amar went off?

18. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

at the 4:12 mark, it is really impressive how the driver is rolling on that power through the long left hander! that car screws!!

19. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    AWESOME...!!! What a great clip...! Thank you... My favorite part is at 3:45 where he adjusts his rearview mirror... :)

20. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

1) Drive: 8.5/10

He left lots of money on the table with the traffic. Imagine a clean lap...

2) Style: 3/10

T-shirt, jeans and driving gloves? What is he doing in that garb? The Gumball 3000?

21. infraredline

infraredline Formula 3

Mar 15, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    John
    That's a good point - the clip is 7:23 and it doesn't even include the entire straight. Is this really the 7:15 lap film?

22. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Neat video..

23. buy_me_a_ferrari

Oct 16, 2004
    Canada Richmond BC
    Full Name:
    Albert
    thanks for the post
    FAST

24. quattro

quattro Karting

Jul 16, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Daniel Kelly
    thats incredible....but you think thats fast just wait until we get some vidz of the fxx on nurburgring

25. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    I wonder how quick a LeMans car, F3, GP2 etc would lap the track. Or how about an F1 car.