How high did bidding go for the Breadvan (Christies-Monterey) | FerrariChat

How high did bidding go for the Breadvan (Christies-Monterey)

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by CDM, Aug 26, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CDM

CDM Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    I heard the Breadvan did not sell at Christies Monterey auction. Does anyone know what the high bid was? I would like to pass this information on to the gentleman who originally commissioned the Breadvan. Incidentally, when he finished racing the Breadvan, he sold it for $2500. It was supposed to bring $3.5 to $5.0 mill at Christies.

2. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    3 mil

Also, this should be moved to vintage

3. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Was that a real bid or the chandelier?

4. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #4 El Wayne, Aug 26, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
  6. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Hey, I know the one on the right, that one never buys anything!

7. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    Dermit (the auctioneer) bid the car which is Christie's stated and public policy and actually quite common. Some call it "chandelier bidding" etc... I was there in the center four rows back and had four of our staff there in various other sections...

Sorry but there was never a real bid.

I was next to the owner's long time Louisiana friend and he and those in his group were quite shocked that the 1512 sold and that the owner's other car did not generate the interest Christie's had promissed.

Both the sale of the 1512 as well as the Talbot were done on a single and first "real" bid.

There were a few otherse but otherwise auction was not very exciting. I think of the lots sold the gross was something just shy of $10M. It is posted on their web site and can be found on this site in another link.

Regards,

Bill Noon

8. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    There was NO bidding at all on the Breadvan.
    What is the Breadvan?? An SWB with a wrong engine and a rebody. Is it worth US$ 3.5 M or more?? Most probably not. The original SWB Berlinetta Scaglietti body of the Breadvan today is on the off-white 250 GT SWB Berlinetta #2439 GT which Bonhams had in Monterey for sale by private treaty (it is still owned by a Swiss collector). Now, one should buy both the off-white SWB 2439 GT AND the Breadvan 2819 GT, then remove the SWB body and put it on the Breadvan chassis 2819 GT and locate the original Breadvan engine 2819 GT, in order to make it a genuine SWB Sefac Hot Rod...........

9. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Marcel, do you not think that the "breadvan" is too significant in its current configuration to restore? Sure, it may have the wrong engine and it may be a "rebody" (that was done by a race team to beat the GTO's, not an individual who just wanted a new body) but is it worth destroying the breadvan's body just so someone can make a car "original". Why do this when it is such a unique part of motor racing history.

10. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I didn't say that it MUST be done! It was a suggestion only........
    I agree that the Breadvan is too significant. However, even if the Breadvan body would be removed from chassis 2819 GT the Breadvan body wouldn't be destroyed!
    Marcel Massini

11. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    I agree with Marcel.

Get both cars together with one owner. Restore both SWB's back to original condition. Take the breadvan body and build up another chassis for it.

Then you have 2 significant SWB's AND a Ferrari based racing special WITH significant race history attached to it.

The breadvan has one big issue to me from a value standpoint: its ugly. Sure it has some good angles and I love the cars history but lets face it, it does not have the eye appeal of a GTO!

Its been done before. There were 2 D-Types each with good claim to the same serial number. The same guy ended up with both, merged all the original parts into a single car with undisputed claim on the VIN and he ended up with a perfect D-Type replica to play with.

Terry

12. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Terry, i disagree. You do not have "2 significant SWB's AND a Ferrari based racing special WITH significant race history attached to it", you have 1 restored SWB, a breadvan/swb hybrid/replica and an SWB without a body. Where does it end? What would happen to 2439? Original body? In the end, you'd still end up with an SWB without a body or with a replica body. The breadvan IS 2819GT, thats the chassis it raced with. Why take the body off and put it on another? Its not same thing. You also have the problem of modifying back 2819GT to SWB spec and modifying/building the chassis for the breadvan's body to go on. What about the other re-bodied SWB's? Why not put the original bodies back on the re - bodied GTO's? When does it stop?

I see your points, and i understand where you are coming from and i'd agree with you if it was any other car, but it comes down the the fact that the breadvan IS 2819 and should remain that way. But in the end, not everything has to be perfect. Not everything has to be matching #'s.

Just my .02

Chris

13. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Is it 'opposite day' and someone forgot to tell me? Am I actually reading the above correctly?

There are other SWB's and D-types but there is only ONE Breadvan. It's gloriously incorrect and should stay that way, even if some think that it lacks 'eye appeal' or autistically try to get matching engine/body/chassis numbers for every car on the planet.

The Breadvan had no history of racing with Ferrari and only became signifigant after leaving the factory. Putting it back to 'original, as-built' condition destroys what it is, even if the body lived on.

C.

14. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Please note that EVERY Ferrari only became significant AFTER leaving the factory!!
    Marcel Massini

15. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Careful Marcel, people might think you have a sense of humor...

Hope you didn't have any issues with flooding this week.

16. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar

Totally agree. What about the 330 CanAm car restored back to P4 configuration. I think that's a shame.

17. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yep. And cars like 2231GT. Sure, it wasn't the most beautiful ferrari but it was unique. Now its like almost every other SWB

18. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Sorry, but I don't see any shame in returning 2231's nose back to original. Maybe I'm mistaken but, unlike 2819, I don't believe that any contribution was made to motorsports history while the car looked like this:

http://www.barchetta.cc/All.Ferraris/by-serial-number/odd-serial-numbers/index-1000/index-100/odd-2201gt-2299gt/166mm.0038m-1.html

I have to admit that I, too, would have returned it to its original beauty.

19. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Sorry. I'm talking about its uniqueness. Sure, its not an important Ferrari but it is/was special. I love the looks of the SWB's. BUT any special SWB, breadvan or chiti special (i too think its ugly) should be kept that way. I'm not against people restoring cars, but i am against people restoring cars back to the original spec when they have special features that make them one of a kind.

20. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    If there was just one real SWB or GTO on the face of the earth, than I could see putting it back to the original way it was built, but these "oddballs" are important, and I agree with Chris that they should be left as is...

21. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    This thread is silly... No one would ever REALLY change the Breadvan back to the SWB that it was before it left the factory... That would be like altering the Mona Lisa so that she's no longer smiling - it's just absurd to even think...!

22. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris

You can't be sure about that. Just because you wouldn't doesn't mean that someone else wouldn't.

23. John Ellis

John Ellis Rookie

Mar 3, 2005
    Hi Marcel

I think that you have made the most important point of all with this comment, and I do not regard it as a joke.

The fact is that the history of a car starts when it leaves the factory and any restoration extinguishes the evidence of that history. That may or may not be important, depending on the car, but it is undeniable that the 'concours queens' are not what they were when they were made or originally used.

Cheers

John Ellis

24. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    There's a certain EG head you can thank for that...

25. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The bottom line is that if you want an SWB in its "original" form, don't get the breadvan. I know of several SWB's on the market, 2 of those are even Sefac Hot Rods, just like the breadvan.