Anyone ever have a pissed driver leave his car to yell? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Anyone ever have a pissed driver leave his car to yell?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by MufflerMan, Aug 23, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    A little off-topic but...

Didn't I see a sign in NJ that ask drivers to "report other agressive drivers"?

Are states doing this?

2. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    some buds and I were crossing a street in downtown Boston and evidently weren't crossing fast enough. A driver yelled, my buddy yelled and the lunatic driver actually stopped his car in the middle of the street and got out of his car to continue yelling. My buddy said "Get back in the car before you get hurt". Pretty cool. What was I doing? Standing there with my mouth hanging open, thinking WTF? Welcome to Boston.

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    And be sure to check your original Ferrari tool roll to be sure you have everything when you buy the car. Some people are missing the brass knuckles, billy club and tire iron.

This all made sense to me till I went back to first post. How secure would anyone feel in a Z3? I'd get panicky driving through a pre-school parking lot, in case some of the bigger toddlers had a chip on their shoulder.

4. Kram

Kram Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    Park bench, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mark
    It’s odd, but the older I get the less road rage I engender or see. Funny that. Can’t think why.
    Two incidents come to mind: I was in Dublin in the mid ‘70s, driving a ‘53 MG at night through the docks. Out of nowhere a dark and dirty car with two guys in it decided to chase me. They sat on my rear bumper and then, after a cobbled street or two, started to flash their main beams. I didn’t like the look of them or where we were, and pressed on as fast as an anemic 1,250 c.c. pushrod long stroke engine could go, back through the city, past Trinity College and around the Green, not running any lights or breaking serious laws, just using traffic and timing while hand signaling (Lucas electrics? I was lucky the HT system worked). I half lost them and dived down a cul de sac to my garage, which was on a back lane past Merrion Sq., and pressed the remote control (rare for that time and place) - and the damn door wouldn’t open, the battery was on its last legs and the contacts were bad. While frantically pressing the button and shaking the wretched unit - and hoping for the best - the car I had just lost cruised by, looking for me. They turned into the dead end and pulled in behind my MG, and then one large fellow got out, a long bar in his hand. This did not look good. Two of them, one of me, and they looked like what they knew they were doing.
    I put it into gear, pulled forward deeper into the cul de sac and then jammed it into reverse, shot backwards past the thug with the cosh and his companion in the car, did a reverse hand brake turn (you don’t use the hand brake) and took off. When I returned half an hour later, hoping for the coast to be clear, there were a ton of Guarda (that’s the Irish police). The ‘thug’ was a special branch cop (plain clothes) who thought I must be on the run from something (he said) but was probably pissed off at not being able to keep up with a student’s ancient beater with his hot Opel. The ‘cosh’ was a Maglight, not yet switched on. Being Ireland it all got sorted out with a laugh by the end, particularly when I explained that I thought they were hardened criminals.
    Incident number two: This time I was in California, near Santa Barbara, on a canyon road in my 250 GT. It was the early 80’s, the roof was down, the day was perfect and I was, I must admit, hammering the car. Up ahead there was a busted up Pontiac, dents everywhere and a patina of apathetic neglect smothering any of the design details GM may have wished on the machine when it was built. I caught it soon enough, and when the road unwound into a straight I crossed the white broken line and roared past the Pontiac, leaving it in the echo of 3 liters evenly spread over 12 cylinders.
    All good things, especially Californian canyon roads, eventually come to an end. I waited a while at the stop sign for a break to get out onto the main road when who should come along but the Pontiac, now going like the clappers of Hell. The car pulled up beside me, two wheels half on the blacktop, two on the dirt shoulder, jerking to a stop with a puff of dust as it made two lanes out of one. The driver was yelling something at me, leaning out the window and roaring. I looked over and saw a huge unkempt woman, Best of Fair size, her brown hair half in her face, her black rimmed glasses skewed with righteous anger.
    “A**hole!” she roared, panting from the effort.
    I looked back at her, smiled sadly and gave an appreciative nod. “So you are madame, so you are,” and then I saw my gap in the traffic and went for it, leaving her glowering in the heat of the day.
    I’m not proud of that, but then hopefully neither is she, God love her. I now know that the only polemic you win is the one you don’t get sucked into. It took me a while, but I did learn it.

5. rscholl

rscholl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Houston,TX
    About 2 years ago I was driving home one evening. I was going with the flow in the inside lane and noticed a car coming up from behind who had just changed into my lane rather abruptly. He came up right on my bumper and started tailgating. So I tapped my brakes to warn him off and he seemed to get even closer, so I tapped again. He then changed into the lane to my right and accelerated to pass me. I couldn't speed up b/c of a car in front. There was a car in front of him, but he was still accelerating at a good pace. When he just passed my car I just had a bad feeling and I was right. He swerved over violently towards me, obviously trying to hit me. I sensed it just in time and hit my brakes. Sure enough he came flying over in front of me, but since he had nothing to stop him he hit his brakes, started sliding sideways at about 75 mph and shot right into the concrete barrier just off the shoulder to my left. It was the type barrier that is flared at the bottom, and it launched him into the air. I then hit the gas to get past him and it seemed like I actually passed under part of his airborne car. His went nose up, rolled over, and came down hard right on it's roof. All I could see in my mirror was his car sliding down along the shoulder against the barrier on it's roof at about 60 mph with a shower of sparks flying in every direction. It was awesome! Serves the f@#head right. When they had pulled up next to me earlier I noticed it was 2 grungy, greasy looking guys without shirts, probably drunk, so I'm sure they escaped with no serious injuries. I didn't hear anything on the news over the next few days.

Actually my good friend played a joke and called me at work pretending to be with the sheriff's department. He said someone got my plate number and they tracked me down. He did a great job b/c I was kind of freaking out even though I didn't really do anything warranting being run off the road. What really freaked me out was when he said they were having trouble identifying the bodies, but when he mentioned that they were found naked, I realized it was a joke, much to my relief.

I was so close to his car that I actually had coolant or some type of fluid sprayed on my car from his that I noticed when I got home. I luckily didn't have my F-car at the time.

6. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Years back, my cousin pissed off a few big guys by honking and yelling at them. As they got out of the car to give him a beating he flashed a PBA badge, yelling authoritatively "NJ State Police- return to your vehicle immediately!". Luckily, not willing to take any chances, they dutifully got back in their car and he took off, narrowly missing the beating of his life! LOL.

7. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    The decision of choice should always be to try to diffuse the hostility and avoid escalation of the conflict. That being said, it is always better: and perhaps only possible, to manage and negotiate from a position of superior strength!

The license to carry deadly force also carries with it a tremendous responsibility to NOT use deadly force. When the Great State of Texas instituted concealled handgun permits detractors projected saloon style shootouts all over the place and over every dispute, but the result was the very opposite and truly not surprising to those of us blessed with common sense!

State crime stats have consistently shown that the percentage of gun crimes COMMITTED [we are not talking about self-defense here!] by licensed handgun conceallers is a miniscule percentage of the total.
    You are not going to "negotiate" peace with some punks or drunks intending to do harm to you and your passengers [i.e. wife and kids :)] unless you make it clear to them you are prepared to do more than talk!!

8. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    I love it when I get cut off and then the passenger starts screaming at the driver, sometimes even smacking them in the shoulder or across the chest.

That happened to me last week with my friend in the car. I was cut off pretty bad at about 50mph, honked the horn for 1 second and then backed off to obtain proper following distance. It just so happens, the other lanes were moving faster so I moved over to the left and passed them.

When we did so, the gentleman's wife hit him across the chest and was screaming at him when we went by. I just had to laugh!

I either clap or give the thumbs up when someone does something boneheaded.

Sunny

9. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It would be easier to report those that are NOT agressive.

10. awhite

awhite Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 13, 2005
    still here
    Full Name:
    hmmmm
    a nice golf clap solves the problem for me :)

-A

11. s_eric09

s_eric09 Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    George
    didnt happen to me, saw it happen.

this guy is waiting for a spot, and here comes this girl in a truck from the opposite side and just steals it. he gets out says that that was his spots, the girl with her bf just ignore him. the guy gets back into his car, goes around, and see her and calls her a slut, she insults him back, he gets out.... POW rite in the face to the girl... before you know it 20 guys jump this crazy lunatic. he is able to get free and speeds off in his car... middle eastern dood...

crazy sh*t

12. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    My friend I am sorry this has happened to you. Next time just come out and pop one.

13. Turb0flat4

Turb0flat4 Formula 3

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    RND
    LOL. :) Yeah, you would think people would be more scared in open-tops. That's probably true to an extent, but they still feel more secure than on foot, because of the metal covering them on 5 sides (6 in a roofed car) compared to no protection at all when out in the open on foot.

14. Markie1949

Markie1949 Karting

Apr 4, 2005
    Utah
    Why don't you chase down the moms in their Suburbans doing 35 in your 35 mph neighborhood while on their cellphones and kick their asses, they are a hell of a lot more dangerous. I'll take someone speeding and paying attention any day. Why don't you stop threatening people here. You obviously are the one who needs the meds. Members of the board should know better. You still have a big mouth.

15. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Wow,what a touchy subject!!??
    Never thought it would be so popular....

16. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Good thread to follow, though!

17. netfreak

netfreak Karting

Jul 16, 2005
    BC, Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul Lezica
    Yeah I like some of these stories :)

18. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    This thread clearly demonstrates why there is so much road rage out there. There's a lot of anger out there on dem dare roads and on this thread as well.

If you wanted to start an even more contentious thread perhaps "Cell Phone Behavior" ?

Rather than a Radar or Laser jammer what I would like is a cell phone jammer. Something that would hang up, block calls and broadcast "hangup and drive idiot" to all cell phones within a 100 foot radius. I think they would sell very nicely.

Bob S.

19. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69779

20. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    You hit the nail on the head especially with that last part.

A pretty accurate self description if I do say so myself!

You might want to pay special attention to the first two rules listed here, http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/rules.php?

We've spent enough time around Pat to know who he is and where he's coming from. You on the other hand are leaving a much greater impression right now.

Sunny

21. The K Reloaded

The K Reloaded Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Road rage is most certainly not limited to Ferrari or Lamborghini owners though I'm sure the display of wealth doesn't help. When I'm in the black Audi I get left alone. When I'm in my white Porsche 928 I get all kinds of reactions from those that make my day to those that have me staring back in stony silence. I had a blue 928 before this one and I don't recall it generating the attention this white one gets.

I've pulled out onto streets with oncoming cars more than a block away and the driver leaning on the horn. When they see me they STFU though. All I ever do is roll the window down and stare.

On the freeway I get the jealous idiots (both male and female) in their SUVs who just have to tailgate me. I've almost killed a few of these drivers by leading them into off ramps at too high a speed.

I don't change my driving style between the two cars I own so it's probably the sports car syndrom coupled with the more noticeable color.

22. Markie1949

Markie1949 Karting

Apr 4, 2005
    Utah
    Tell your "bud" to read the same rules, or is it permissable for "board members" to tell others they'ed kick their asses. I can only assume that you are right of course, Is it a pretty accurate self description?

23. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Rob:

Years ago, when I did a lot of criminal work, I represented an ex-con with a shot gun, who blew away an off duty cop, who'd gotten out of his car to admonish him about his driving. My client used a 12" shotgun (illegal) to kill the cop. Think about that, next time you get brave. There are loons out there, and I'm sure Jenny would get upset if you got hurt.

BTW, this guy looked like a nerd. You can't tell the book by it's cover.

Art

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    What was the verdict?

I was upset to hear once in Dallas a guy approached a car like that and started punching the guy through an open window. Guy in the car stabbed the guy and it killed him. I was disappointed that he actually got jail time for that. Seems like if someone is attacking you like that, you can defend yourself.

Texas is crazy, usually there are no criminal charges if you kill someone, but then the family will take you for money in civil if you had even the slightest options besides shooting.

Of course my friend was involved in a case where a guy killed his girlfriend when he caught her cheating and got off because the jury said “girlfriend shouldn’t have been cheating”. :)

25. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini

Thanks Sunny. Don't know what this guy's deal is. Never talked with him before, but he has a bone to pick with someone if they defend their right to a driver obeying the speed limit in a residentual area.