1969 Italia Spyder...one off | FerrariChat

1969 Italia Spyder...one off

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by R33, Aug 17, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. R33

R33 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    Kent,UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Creed
    Just dug out a few old magazines...Italian Cars Sports and Classic to be precise, a magazine that i have been unable to trace really.....anyway,
    After reading an excellent article on Archille Varzi ( what a guy ), i happened to notice in the for sale section a car called an "Italia Spyder 302 Auto". A one-off red model with many one-off features.
    Does anyone know anything about this car?
    It was part of a private collection and was for sale from Ruscilli Inv Co.

Would really like to know what happened to this car, being such a rarity.

2. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    #2 Miltonian, Aug 17, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have that magazine. I'd have to guess that there is a good possibility that the car pictured in the ad had its front end smashed at some point, and someone "improved" the design during reconstruction. I can't believe it left the factory looking like that, but you never know.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. R33

R33 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    Kent,UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Creed
    Thanks Jeff. That was a quick scan...lol
    It almost looks Scaglietti in rebody form. I agree that its doubtful it left the factory that way, unless it was a customer one -off request.
    Thanks for the reply anyway.
    While i'm here though, could you tell me how many issues of that magazine were made. I only have 1-6.

4. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Paul: I have what I believe to be a complete set of "Italian Cars" magazines, a total of 13 issues. The last one was called "Italian Cars & Bikes". I have never seen any further issues, but I suppose my local distributor could have simply stopped carrying them.

5. R33

R33 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    Kent,UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Creed
    Thanks for confirming that Jeff. I searched high and low for info on the mag, and only came up with a 12th issue. Didnt realise they did a 13th called Italian cars and Bikes.
    Shame it didnt continue, as the write ups and pics were superb.

6. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Those may or may not be solid attatched headlight covers.
    I have owned 2 different spyders and one coupe. They are fun cars, especially the 351 clevland...Sore spots were rust and solid live axle rear. Knee action rear shocks were diabolical.But the visceral thrill was italian cobra.The profile of the coupe was unmatchable. Will dig up a few pics and post next week....

7. Eddie IOW

Eddie IOW Rookie
    BANNED

Aug 26, 2005
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I have some on this but will have to scan an old book I have. Will post pics when I do.

8. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA

I have Issue #14 dated 1993, I believe that was the final issue. The editior (Phil Ward) of Italian Cars & Bikes then started Auto Italia.

Joe

9. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I thank you for that correction, Joe. I also have issue #14 of Italian Cars & Bikes, and didn't realize it was in the same stack. It's the only one with a blue cover.

Phil Ward didn't become editor until issue #10 of Italian Cars, and the two magazines don't seem to be related in any way, other than the same editor and the same subject matter. I've never cared for Auto Italia, I don't like the writing or the art layout - too many tiny pictures, badly composed. I hardly ever buy it.

10. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    There were a number of other magazines that were being published at around the same time as Italian Cars & Bikes. There was Ferrari World and another similar one dedicated to Alfas (Alfa World?) That now also gone