Octane and boosters? | FerrariChat

Octane and boosters?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jvbjr, Aug 30, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jvbjr

jvbjr Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 19, 2005
    What octane are you guys using and is anyone using those booster products like Boost 104 or such?

It seems Sunoco has 97 octane, the only other higher fuel I know of is Sunoco's Race GT fuel that was $5.75/gallon pre-Katrina.

Can too much octane be bad for valves or such?

2. TURBOQV

TURBOQV Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2003
    NV and Utah

I run 104 octane race gas. The car runs very well with it.

3. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    The higher the octane, the less total energy and volatility in the **fuel** (offset by being able to run at higher compression with an earlier advance which gets more power out of the A/F mixture).

If you aren't upping your timing Advance or increasing your compression or running widely gapped spark plugs, then you only want an octane rating high enough to prevent knocking/pinging/detonation/pre-detonation, etc.

That being said, I run the 92/93 octane. No knocks, no pings.

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

In PA, Sunoco has 94 octane as its highest pump gas. Yesterday it was $3.09 a gallon.

Some select Sunoco stations have 100 octane race gas, and it's usually double the 94 price.

I run Sunoco's 94 octane in the Dino. Although there have been times that I put 92 in, and can't really tell the diffference. I guess I'm just supersticious, or whatever. I'd rather run 94 and not have to worry with the 10.5:1 pistons in the car.

DM

5. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Compression ratio is the key: the higher it is, the more octane you need to optimize performance and not get pinging (detonation). You can, of course, run regular on a 10:1 engine but you'd have to retard the crap out of the ignition so it won't ping. This costs a lot of HP and driveability off the line.

*Most* Ferraris run fairly low compression ratios (Less than 9.5:1) and will be fine on regular gas. Premium works fine too but you're just wasting money. My Lotus is almost 10:1 and I use premium with about 11 degrees of static advance. This is just short of the 'ping' setting on my particular car; I cannot use regular at this state of tune.

Ken

6. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    One of the great advantages of owning an old slow 77 308
    is that we can use regular unleaded.

7. GTO84

GTO84 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    One of the best most effective boosters I've tried has been the N.O.S. brand. The off road formula has propylene oxide and some methanol amongst other things. Keeps valves clean better than the Techron snake oil too.