456GTM final choice | FerrariChat

456GTM final choice

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by [email protected], Aug 30, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vignale.Torino@cox.net

Jul 14, 2005
    Vienna, VA
    Full Name:
    Orazio Vignale
    Hello chaps,

My wife has decided on another Mercedes - this is our 36th year of MBz ownership - and will trade her '97 S600C for a new CLS500. We also have a '95 E320 which is practically unbreakable. Her decision will allow me to purchase a 456GTM with a 6sp manual gearbox rather than one with an auto transmission.

The local dealer has a '99 456 rosso barchetta with 5K miles but will also have, by mid September, a '00 456 in yellow with approximately 8K miles on it - the owner is trading it in for a 430.

Jacques Swaters of Garage Francorchamps - I go to Brussels once a month for work - mentioned that in Europe, bright colors like yellow or rosso corsa, so often found on two seaters - 355/360/430 - are not sought after, that silver or some dark metallic color suits the car better. The problem is that I really like the yellow.

What are your opinions in this matter?

By the way, on Saturday I put my Maserati Zagato Spyder 3a Serie on ebay.

Kind regards,

Orazio

PS: Does anyone need parts from Garage Francorchamps?

2. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Well, my opinion will be biased, but it's true that yellow doesn't do the car justice, neither does red.
    A dark colour (avoid black, suits a 550 much better) or silver looks great, the best is Titanium IMHO.
    It's a fantastic car, the 456 M is one of my all time greats.

3. Bince

Bince Karting

Jun 8, 2004
    Well mine is in metallic red (burgundy)... i wasnt too sure about the colour at first... but now that I have the car, I think i like the colour more everyday...

burgundy is definitely no good with the 550/360... but on the 456, she looks very nice.

4. bjm

bjm Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Fairfield County, CT
    Full Name:
    Brian
    The 456M GT is a great car, you will love it. On the color issue if YOU love yellow go for it..in the end thats all that matters.

I have a 355b Giallo yellow and love the color on that car, I would tend to agree that more subtle colors fit the GT nature of the 456 better. My 456m is Grigio Ingrid which I think looks great on it.

5. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Congratulations on the car. There's a gentleman here in socal with a yellow 456. It looks great. Drive it in good health.

6. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    My experience:
    1) Manual 'M' cars are rare. You'll probably not have a huge choice.
    2) I ended up with a rosso corsa car because it was the only manual on sale in the country (UK) at the time. I'd been advised against bright colors by others who told me I'd get killed on resale unless I went for silver, black or blue.
    3) I bought the red car because I thought it looked great.
    4) I could have sold this car 8 times over without trying, at market or slightly above. Not everyone digs it, but do you care?
    5) I'm keeping mine.

My opinion:
    The one yellow 456 I know of in this country was on sale for aaaagggggeeees. Yellow may be a stretch for the next owner (if there is one). But what the hell do I know :)

BTW those are really low mileage cars. My '99 has 25K on the clock.

7. beckertb

beckertb Rookie

Feb 28, 2004
    Beaumont TX
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #7 beckertb, Aug 31, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I agree with the statement that you should buy what YOU like. My preference was for a titanium grigio over tan Daytonas. It took a while to find the car especially in a manual, but was worth the wait IMO.

YMMV.

Happy motoring,

Ben
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Vignale.Torino@cox.net

Jul 14, 2005
    Vienna, VA
    Full Name:
    Orazio Vignale
    Actually there five 456s listed in the Ferrari Marketplace (Ferrari USA) throughout the country. Three are GTAs (2 Blu Tour de France, 1 black) and two are GTs (1 Blu Tour de France and 1 Titanium) like Ben's car, which looks fantastic. What brand are your rims?

Nevertheless, because of the warranty issue, I am going to buy it from the local dealer and like Kevin in Cambridge said, they are hard to find at least in this area.

I'll stop by the dealer next weekend and check the rosso barchetta. Will let you all know what happens.

Kind regards,

9. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    i would take a titanium one if you could get a hold of one

10. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    The car is stunning in Argento Nurburgring and in black. Over a period of several years I had both and could never decide which I liked best.I think the M is worth the extra money.These are great cars, good luck looking.

11. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Rookie

Sep 8, 2005
    Liverpool UK
    Full Name:
    John Reynolds
    I am a new proud owner of a magnificent 456 so i am looking for as much advise as is available can anybody please advise me as to where is the best place to buy service parts (kits) Belts ect.