Bay Area Repair Facilities | FerrariChat

Bay Area Repair Facilities

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by maquino, Aug 30, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. maquino

maquino Karting

Jun 22, 2005
    I have a 328, and am somewhat discouraged by the high service rates encountered at Ferrari dealerships. Also suspect that these facilities are more familiar with current models than vintage ones ...

So I am looking around for well-thought-of alternatives around San Francisco (my location). So far I have had excellent experiences with two Peninsula service providers:

(1) GP Enterprises (Mr. Geoff Provo), Redwood City (650) 766-5405. Geoff is a genius with 328s and a very nice gentleman.

(2) Cammisa Motors (Mr. Lary Camissa), Burlingame (650) 340-7300. Lary and his staff are also very good with "classic"-era Ferraris.

In looking for a place closer to San Francisco, I yesterday discovered:

(3) Monza Motors (Mr. Luigi Prospato), 880 Post Street, San Francisco (415) 771-4436.

I spoke briefly with Mr. Prospato, and he seems pleasant and knowledgeable about 328s. So I am wondering if any readers have had service experiences with him?

Finally, I wonder whether anyone can recommend other Ferrari-good service places within San Francisco?

2. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    #2 rivee, Aug 30, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Absolutely and unequivocally, Brian Crall

4. dexter

dexter Karting

Nov 22, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Full Name:
    Dexter
    Brian Crall

a little bit of a drive from you but worth it.

5. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Brian Crall

6. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Brian Crall is super.

7. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Also, Tony Palladino is really great. Between the two of them, you're golden.

8. sparky p-51

sparky p-51 Formula 3

Aug 8, 2004
    klamath falls, Or.
    Full Name:
    steve
    Brian Crall...the best.

9. sjvalin

sjvalin Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2004
    Nevada County, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Valin
    I believe Tony closed his shop and now works at FOSV in redwood city.
    -steve

10. cal355

cal355 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Cal
    Try:prancing Horse of California
    1390 Rollins Rd.
    Burlingame,Ca 94010
    650-558-8585
    Dayal Dindral -Owner

11. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    This Brian guy sounds like he really knows his way around a lawn mower! :)

12. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

I really know how to get it all out of a Briggs & Stratton.

Thanks everybody.

13. maquino

maquino Karting

Jun 22, 2005
    These have been very helpful comments - thanks!

As I live in San Francisco, I am ideally looking for something in-city, which is why I am particularly curious about:

Monza Motors (Mr. Luigi Prospato), 880 Post Street, San Francisco (415) 771-4436.

... and wondering whether any Ferraristi have had any experience with his shop?

14. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    There is a young guy, Kris who is on the board. He is a Master Mechanic and VERY savvy with Farrari repairs. He may be interested in some weekend work. He put my 308 back together last year from boxes of parts (Gearbox, etc) just about blindfolded! I could put you in touch with him.

15. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    When it comes down to having an excellent reputable mechanic work on my Ferrari vs. someone who's closer, I'd drive the extra few miles, just for piece of mind.

I'm sure there's good F-car wrench turners in the city, but after all the posts in this thread saying the same thing, I think I'd be inclined to heed their advice.

16. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    I think he's more of an Alfa guy, but he also does Ferraris. Most of the cars I've seen in his shop are from the 60's and 70's, which I think is more in his wheelhouse.

I've had Luigi do some suspension work on an older car of mine, but I don't know how he is on motors. He did decent work, and appears to have good parts connections. He finished his work pretty quickly. I have other, stronger relationships with other mechanics, so I only used him that one time.

17. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    That's putting it mildly! :D ;)

--Dan

18. David512

David512 Formula 3

Dec 15, 2003
    Northern California
    "Farrari" ?

Now I see why you were almost banned from Fchat.

19. David512

David512 Formula 3

Dec 15, 2003
    Northern California
    There's also Dino Motors in San Mateo. I heard he's good. Maybe Bobafet or Lukek has the number.

The thing about the Peninsula techs is that you can take Caltrain to a relatively close spot near any of these shops. With Tony Palladino and probably other good guys at FOSV, you could try there, or Prancing Horse, or Dino Motors in San Mateo. Unless you have someone to transport you to and from Brian Crall's shop in Danville, it would present VERY significant logistical challenges.

20. edburger

edburger Karting

Jun 23, 2005
    Oakland, Dunsmuir,CA
    Full Name:
    Eric D. Burger
    hey there, I've been thinking of calling you.What kind of lead time on appt's is there? I've got a '78 briggs & stratton GTS w/ 4 webers. Do you work on those? I have been taking my 'rig to W.C. and seem to keep spending more $...I don't want to flame so I won't but I have been eagerly steered toward you, from off-the-street random ferrari owners.

21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Yes it is.
    At this point I am not scheduling anything of great consequence until November. I am pretty busy with existing projects until then with the exception of very minor things or an emergency of some sort. You can always reach me at the number above.

22. winston

winston Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    foothills
    Full Name:
    don
    logistics to Brian Crall's shop are easy, take a cab, or Enterprise is just around the corner. Definitely worth the effort.
    Winston

23. sjvalin

sjvalin Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2004
    Nevada County, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Valin
    David, I can't help but find this amusing. :) I would think getting a car to Dublin from the city would be far easier than getting your cars from the Sierra foothills down to Burlingame!

-steve

24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Or if it's a big job, I will hire a limo both ways for you and still save you money.

25. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    What he's not mentioning is who will be riding with you inside! Service with a smile! :D

--Dan