Volkswagon whistle in 328 | FerrariChat

Volkswagon whistle in 328

Discussion in '308/328' started by alert1, Aug 30, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alert1

alert1 Karting

Mar 17, 2005
    At high RPMs, there's a strange whistling noise I hear coming from the engine. I called a Ferrari mechanic on the phone who mentioned that the exhaust pipes have insulation that breaks off over time leaving some holes exposed, and therefore creates a Volkswagon-type noise.

I hate it! Any recommendations on how to fix/plug these holes??

Thanks.

2. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    A quick fix is stuff some steel wool in there. There is a recent thread about just this problem. Around the outside of the pipe-in between the pipe and stainless steel sleeve.

3. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Its under this section---titled--328 Exhaust Packing

4. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I LOVE the whistle in mine. I think it totally adds to the sound. Makes it sound exotic as hell IMO. LIke there is something going on under the hood that other cars don't have (which is true!!).

Love it and wouldn't want to do ANYTHING to make it go away. It's not like it is a cheap sound IMO. Just sounds kind of jet-like. Or like a supercharger. Or turbos. Or SOMETHING.

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I agree

6. alert1

alert1 Karting

Mar 17, 2005
    There must be different sounds depending on the degree of insulation missing. Mine sounds like a VW, and I hate it. Maybe in time I'll get more of the "jet engine" sound.

7. NC Mondial

NC Mondial Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 6, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Paul Stahl
    I recently installed some stainless steel inserts in my Mondial and the VW sound is gone. I highly recommend them. I had tried making them myself out of aluminum but they only lasted until about 6000 rpm. At that point 2 blew out. The remaining two were warped by the heat. Then I got a fellow F-chatter to make me a set (he owns a fabrication shop) out of 26 ga stainless. Stainless is the way to go.

Paul

8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I think I like it because I have 4 VW's

9. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Hypocrite! :p Your 308 has a Tubi! :p

10. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    A few months back, I posted because I had the same problem. Bottom line is that the dealer, FoNE inserted the SS inserts in my pipes and the sound went away. I strongly reccomend getting them, or making them...... I think they cost around $100.00 vs. $15.00 in materials and 20 minutes of time fabing them.
    Good luck!
    - Ron