Top Gear Last Night Vanquish V 575 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Top Gear Last Night Vanquish V 575

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by bjm, Sep 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jet190rs

jet190rs Karting

Jun 21, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Rich C.
    On the show the Vanquish's upshifts shaked the camera and seemed very jerky. The car wouldn't even downshift when Jeremy pulled the paddle. So was his car just broken, or is your's like that too?

2. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    I drove a DB9 paddle-shift a few weeks ago and that shifter seemed very smooth even at full acceleration. Perhaps AM just needed to iron it out. Remember, these shows are a couple of years old.

3. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    id take a 575HGTC over it

4. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I've seen something like this before. It used to be relatively easy to get Cowboy Bebop import DVDs and soundtracks off the web ... until US companies started looking at distributing the DVDs -- then the US lawyers started in. You know the guys -- the ones that declared that every DAT tape unit would be used to pirate albums, so they demanded piracy royalties from the sale of every DAT recorder.
    Lots of people want to tell me where to go. ;)

5. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    FWIW I test drove on 04 last year and DID notice quite a difference when I drove an "S" in March-that's why I ordered the car. In the show he quickly "flicks" the paddles, maybe it's a sensitivity thing i.e. it won't change with a flick, you need a "decisive engagement" rather than a "tap" (for better words). I've never had the problem, like I said it's quicker than the Ferrari, especially in downshifts. Is there an upgrade on my spider I DO need?

I drove the Vanquish every day for the past three weeks and finally drove the spider to work today. The Vanquish is a much better car, perhaps it's a GT thing.......and I'd also prefer a 575 over a spider. Don't know I haven't driven one.

But once again these things are subjective. I drive a lot and have no interest in tracking my cars so my preferences may be different than yours.

6. hetek

hetek Karting

Aug 8, 2005
    LI, NY
    I'm coming in late here. I saw the show last night also.

One thing I didn't see anyone note: When Clarkson and his buddy were leaning on the cars going at it face to face about the pluses and minuses of each car (Ferrari has the better motor and brakes but would rather be in an AM in a traffic jam...) Clarkson said the unthinkable:

"But... But... I'm bored with Ferrari."

I had to rewind several times to make sure I heard him straight.

Anyone else catch this?

7. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Almost forgot.....

1. In auto mode the Ferrari is more pleasant (pretty ironic- you'd think they got the manual mode better). The Vanquish quick shifts to get into top gear quicker.

2. The traction control in the Ferrari is really annoying in everyday driving...it kicks in when you go around a corner and when you open the throttle you start "porpoising" because of the ? sensitive throttle (pretty fckn embarrasing, especially with tubis- whaaauuhhh.....whaauuuhhh...whaauhhh).....is this ALSO a problem that can be fixed with another software upgrade????

3. Let's not forget I did say I never drove a 575. I only have a spider. The 575 and Vanquish are far different types of cars than the spider.

8. jet190rs

jet190rs Karting

Jun 21, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Rich C.
    Yup, kinda crazy!

When he drove the 360CS on the show he said, "For the purpose of this comparision, I will ignore the price difference. And I will also ignore my prejudices. You see, I think a Ferrari is a....scaled-down version of GOD!"

When he drove the 430 on the show, he said it was "very possibly the greatest driving machine ever made."

But I can sorta see where he's coming from....another time on the show he was saying how Ferraris thesedays are just *too* perfect. Like if a new model comes out, he doesn't even have to drive it to know that they'll be magnificant. I guess this is why he didn't replace his F355 Spider with a 360, and why he didn't replace his Ford GT with a F430. Its because he's...gulp...moved on! He wants something different, but not necessarily better.

9. hetek

hetek Karting

Aug 8, 2005
    LI, NY
    I thought that he was going to marry the Enzo he drove in the episode that aired a couple of weeks ago. I mean, geez, I thought he was going to wet his pants or something.

Then to say later "I'm bored with Ferrari"?

I wish I had a job that let me drive so many supercars that I could dare make a statement like that.

10. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    We get a lot of Jeremy Clarkson over here. People either like him or hate him. Personally I like him; he's the most un-pc presenter we have and all the funnier for it. You definitely don't want the sanitised version. Top Gear has taken car shows into the entertainment category- even my wife watches it. There's any doubt it'll run and run. This episode is an old one and there are many, many more already in the can. I went to the filming of one episode (Stradale vs GT3RS) and they did numerous different intro's and closing pieces to account for the fact it's syndicated to >90 countries.

Don't expect consistency from Clarkson though. He's well known for this. He'll praise a car one week and slag it off the next, because he likes being controversial and this is good for his ratings. 'Flappy paddle gearboxes' are not his thing, but you can always disagree with him. I think the shift quality in the Vanquish is excellent actually, though the gearbox is not especially robust and very likely the PIS settings go off on their press cars.

11. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Does anyone know where I can download the 612 versus the plane video and not through a bit torrent server?

12. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    You can find it (and a lot more here)...

http://www.racingflix.com/browsevideos.asp?p=6

It's slow (2-3kbps) unless you sign up for their membership, but if you're patient (I leave it overnight) it will come...

13. Modena Scotland

Modena Scotland Karting

Mar 2, 2005
    Scotland, UK
    Full Name:
    Mass
    There is another show called the "fifth gear" in the UK with an old Top Gear presenter Tiff, which is also quite good. Perhaps not as entertainment oriented as the top gear and its only 30 mins long.

There are a few Top Gear Specials DVDs on sale as well.

Personally I like Clarkson and love the show which is on almost everyday on the sat tv in the UK.

14. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    For me the Vanquish looks very dated, as will the DB9/v8 Vantage look in a year or so, and as does the Murcielago compared to the Diablo
    These designs are "industrial" ones, driven by marketing, instead of being driven by aspiration.

It's sad.

I love the 550/575. These cars, like all (well most) FCars get old very well.

15. VicG

VicG Karting

Feb 5, 2005
    Fairfax County, VA
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Did I miss something? I thought the cars tested were the 575M GTC and the Vanquish S, both of which are fairly new models, no?