Can't get car to start! | FerrariChat

Can't get car to start!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by smithbb, Sep 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. smithbb

smithbb Karting

Jan 27, 2003
    Lancaster, PA
    Full Name:
    Brad Smith
    For the past 3 months I've been reworking my engine and detailing. New clutch, repaired rotor coupling, injector refurbish, replace hoses, etc. I've come to the point of restarting the car and it just cranks away. I've got fuel in cylinders, spark, battery is full charge. No know assembly slip ups, ie loose cables, connectors etc. I know this is a bigggg topic but any first off suggestions on what may be amiss? I made no adjustements to the fuel distributers because I wanted to get it running before final CO adjustment etc. I can't for the life of me figure what I'm missing. I figured someone has already been through this so any and all comments welcome.

2. smithbb

smithbb Karting

Jan 27, 2003
    Lancaster, PA
    Full Name:
    Brad Smith
    Oops. The car is a '86 TR

3. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    If you've honest-to-God got both fuel and spark, then your fuel itself or A/F ratio is awful...but a more likely answer is that you don't actually have a spark.

4. FerrariF1

FerrariF1 Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2005
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Chris
    crank or cam sensor ? bad maf?

5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Please explain how you know you have spark and fuel? Also, what exact service did you do to the car after is was running fine?

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    If it's a KE-Jet TR (either F113A040 or F113B engine family), you could lose +12V power in the injection system and it would not start even though you might pass tests that seem to show both spark and pressurized fuel are "present" (although the right amount of fuel is not actually delivered because without the +12V power there is no current flowing in the EM valves on the Fuel Distributors).

What is your engine family number (top of cyl #6)?

If you do have a KE-Jet system, this recent thread:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69889

describes how to confirm/deny if +12V is reaching the injection system by measuring at the "red wire" on the water thermal switch during starter motor cranking, and, if missing, how to troubleshoot the fused protection relay C in the triangular black box.

Good luck -- give a shout if you need further assistance in this area.

7. smithbb

smithbb Karting

Jan 27, 2003
    Lancaster, PA
    Full Name:
    Brad Smith
    Ok. Thanks guys for the kick start. F1, i can say the crank sensors (bellhousing) are in place per spec. I cleaned when I replaced the clutch. I can't say if there is a signal problem because I have not tested the wire. Connections are tight thought. Would you suggest inductance test? Don't recall cam sensor during work so can't comment. Not sure what you mean by maf?
    91tr, my engine is F113A040. Great suggestion which I will check out. When I reassembled the fuel system components I reattached the leads to the system as well as the connector to the right intake bank.
    fatbilly, fuel and spark, fuel because plug is wet (also I have adequate pump pressure, manually moved fuel distributer plunger at downdraft intake, know injectors are now in spec pressure, it has to release since its CIS); spark because I pulled one and (friend) observed during cranking good spark. The car has not run since the service work was done, prior it ran acceptably but needed improvement hence the injector cleaning, intake cleaning, clutch, cam/rotor coupling repair.
    nodoubt, I don't see how A/F is affected at this point because I definitely held off any adjustments (for this very reason). I can't say I know the spark is complete to spec but I gapped plugs (1 year old, good shape although one side fouled a bit from injectors and bad rotor center brush) but the spark is strong and based on expectations should be more than adequate to ignite fuel.
    Gentlemen, keep the comments coming. I'm going to hit the +12V power item next. This is everything I feared would happen even after trying to be so careful about identifying parts, procedures etc. arggggg

8. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Gasoline burns. If you've got anywhere near the right mixture of fuel...and a decent spark...then you've got combustion.

You don't have combustion.

So you could have bad gas (some people have filled up with water due to gas station mixups). It happens.

You could have a bad mixture (e.g. no air, massive amounts of fuel, etc.).

You could have a bad spark (e.g. gap too wide for your mixture...but not too wide to spark out in the open air when a spark plug is removed to view spark). Or your spark plugs could somehow be grounding via the engine...so you see a spark out in the open air when you remove a plug, but you aren't getting a spark due to grounding when you re-insert the spark plug back into your engine.

9. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Well, as a dinosaur shade tree mechanic, all I can say is if you have fuel and spark, which you say you do, you must not have timing. I'd check the componets that set your timing; any chance you were at BDC and not TDC? I did that once and it took me forever to realize my silly mistake; I was using he wrong end of the engine for the #1 spark plug! (I used the cam position as viewed through the oil cap to get TDC) It wouldn't even sputter being 180 degrees out.

Ken

10. smithbb

smithbb Karting

Jan 27, 2003
    Lancaster, PA
    Full Name:
    Brad Smith
    Ok. Guys thanks for more input. Nodoubt, i don't think its a bad gas issue, I was running on the tank before teardown and haven't added although I may just add some for good measure. (No, I don't have an empty tank lol!) Tell me more about the spark plug grounding. All the plugs are good shape as I noted, about a year old, 5-8k on them, regapped (although they didn't need much work) to .060-.070 range. Plug wires again just over year old, solid connections, plug extenders same thing. What could be creating a grounding issue and how to test?
    Ken, timing is a very distant possibility but a possibility. Rotors and caps are keyed or single position option, so thats not it. When I machined a new cam/rotor coupling I marked the rotor position, reinstalled a bushing and reset rotor which is pinned. Yes it could be off 180 deg but frankly I 've driven on 6 cyl before when I lost a pump/fuse panel and although rough, it ran! Apart from taking cam covers or intake off, any shortcut you know of to verify if I'm off 180? I'm thinking of I pulled plug 7, probed for the piston to verify if it was TDC (or close) I could see if rotor was about to be at firing position on cap but it won't tell me if its on the combustion or exhaust stroke. I guess I could apply some compressed air to see if I got discharge out exhaust or not. If no exhaust discharge, I should be golden. This make sense? I really really don't want to take the cover off if I can help it.
    Keep it coming guys.

11. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth

I've tried the "thumb on the spark plug hole" while you rotate the rear tire, to feel the whoosh from the compression stroke, but that's one of the ways I got 180 degrees off. Your luck may be better? BTW, you time off of #7? Oh yes; you have twin ignition. What's the odds BOTH are 180 degrees out? Actually, if someone screwed up one bank, maybe chances are they made the same mistake twice...?

These cars are far more complex than mine, but I still say if you have spark and gas, and timing, the car MUST run! You are lacking one of the 3....

Ken

12. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    I don't know your car, I've just got a 348...but my 348 just needs a spark gap of 0.028 inches...which is somewhere around .6 to .7mm.

By any chance did you gap in inches instead of mm?!

13. Ricard

Ricard Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Donington Park
    Full Name:
    Richard C
    You say the fuel is the same as when you stripped down. Fuel goes off you know? ... drain it off (and keep it just incase) then try with fresh fuel.

I have never had this issue with an injection car but with a motorbike (carbs) the fuel will go off after a month or so.

14. FerrariF1

FerrariF1 Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2005
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Chris
    hello,

MAF is mass air flow sensor. i do not know if your TR has one but it could be the problem.

15. smithbb

smithbb Karting

Jan 27, 2003
    Lancaster, PA
    Full Name:
    Brad Smith
    hey guys thanks. still working on the electronic end thanks to 91tr. Nodoubt, I stand corrected. I gapped .025-.028 for the .6-.7mm range. Heck, I wish I'd been wrong! Ricard, the gas would seem to be a bit unusual but I'm going to tag that base as well. At this point I'm trying to figure what signals are necessary. 91tr, if I understand your point, I need that 12v at the fuel distributer to operate, otherwise what, I won't get fuel to the cyl? I need to check this further but I figured the movement of the downdraft intake which moved the fuel piston was all it took. I've got a Bosh manual and will read further. Gentlemen, anybody experience removal and replacement of intake plate? According to WSM it is verrrrry emphatic that the plate must have the chamfer edge down or it will be problematic. I swear the plate has no chamfer nor markings that I could figure. I examined under a magnifying glass even and saw no difference at edge. Examined it with my finger as well but nothing. Is this a later change in systems. The plate is so thin I can't see how a chamfer could make a difference. The plate sits in the throat of the intake properly per spec but this is one item I know I did not "follow the rules" when reinstalling but can't see any difference.

16. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    When you say you checked for spark, did you just check for spark by holding the plug wire next to a ground and then cranking, or did you have a spark plug attached to the wire and grounded against the block, THEN cranked over and actually observed spark across the plug electrodes?

I ask because if your plugs are wet (per post #7), they could be "wet-fouled" and not firing.

Personally, I would pull out all of the plugs and crank the engine over a few times to blow out any raw fuel in the cylinders, then install new plugs. Don't just clean the old ones unless you KNOW they are OK (can you install one into your lawn mower to see if it will fire?). I've seen many instances of wet-fouled plugs keeping the engine from firing. If you have been squirting raw fuel into the cylinders while doing pressure tests, it MAY have fouled the plugs.

17. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #17 Steve Magnusson, Sep 2, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    On the KE-Jet systems, the EM valve and the movement of the airflow metering plate both control the resulting fuel pressure at the injectors (which determines the flow). When the manual mixture screw is/was tweaked, there was the default amount of current flowing in the EM valve. If you lose the +12V electrical power so that there is no current in the EM valve, the system goes very lean. One TR FChatter had a case where he'd lost the +12V power in the injection system, and for the "fix", someone had tweaked the manual mixture screw to compensate so it worked like a simple non-lambda K-Jet as you described (i.e., only the deflection of the airflow metering plate controlling the amount of fuel delivered) -- worked OKish when running warm, but all of the cold-running features were not working (because the EM valve was dead). Not saying this is your problem yet, but definitely confirm this +12V power is present BEFORE making any tweaks to the manual mixture screw(s).

Is the chamfer you're referring to this one on page D34 in the TR WSM? Why did you need to remove the airflow metering plate?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I checked the KE-Jet booklet (95990856) that came out with the ~'87 F113B TRs in Europe and there's no mention of that chamfer on the airflow metering plate and the only figure shows the plate edge as simply square.

Might be that only K-Jet without lambda F113A TRs have that chamfer on the airflow metering plate (since it only appears in the early part of Section D). Just a guess -- and I'm not talking mine apart to see what I have ;)

19. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    But, you were wrong. You said above that you had gapped your plugs to between .06 and .07.

But, you already said that your plugs are "wet" so you can't really be interested in checking to see if fuel is coming in...you already know.

So...are you just putting us on here?! Is it April Fools Day somewhere??

20. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I can't say on the KE, but (FWIW), one experience I had with the K-lambda was after a round of system pressure checks. I removed the CIS pressure meter, pushed down on the AFM plate to get the pump running, assured I had fuel (rather than air) in the lines, and cranked: nada, nil, nyeta.

Then I remembered what CIS stood for: continuous injection system.

All that testing had pumped way too much fuel into the intakes.

I suppose the quick answer would have been to pull the fuel pump fuse and crank to clear the intakes. But as the cranking had lugged the battery, I just put the charger on it for a few hours, and left it for the next weekend. After sitting a week, vroom.

21. smithbb

smithbb Karting

Jan 27, 2003
    Lancaster, PA
    Full Name:
    Brad Smith
    Here goes. Nodoubt, I did properly gap the plugs. What I should have been more clear about is that I checked my feeler gage and the decimal equivalent of .6-.7mm is .025-.028in which I used. My apology for the mixup. Miltonian, I pulled a plug with all components, rested on block and it fired. I did not see but a car experienced buddy of mine observed and said it definitely worked with good spark. Now maybe for a high voltage version like the TR it may need to be better but according to normal standards it was fine. At this point I'm going to say the spark is sufficient, one because nothing was disturbed on the HT side, two because it would be extremely unlikely I'd have two sides go bad simultaneously, three I think there are more likely fish to fry, namely the fuel system. Now fuel and wet plugs are a different story.By the same token you could be very correct in that I've fouled these or as a buddy told me, overwhelmed them with fuel which for various reasons just mitigates against combustion. Frankly, I need to investigate this better. The reason being that I have manually moved the intake thus releasing fuel into the cylinders. It is possible I could have flooded and or been looking at the plugs after I did this but not realizing the points made by 91tr, ie: the EM valve maybe not getting +12v thus all I'm doing is dumping fuel, cranking, maybe dumping more fuel but as already noted, I've essentially bombed the A/F ratio. Part of my exhaust system is off so I can observe and smell raw fuel at the pipe ends but this may be from my manual fiddling as well. Ok, so I think one thing I need to do is crank, pull plugs test for how much if any fuel is present if any. This should explain if I really am getting fuel by design or not. At the same time I will start checking on power issues to the metering and control systems. 91tr, to answer your question on the plate, I removed my fuel system because of access and repair issues elsewhere. I dismounted several components and without going into great detail does snowball effect come to mind? I wanted to do some basic clean and repair of the system, test for running performance and if necessary ultimately, send off all the components for rebuilding and repair at a specialty shop in CA mentioned in other threads. Before I spent the big bucks, I felt this was worth a try. Anyway, the plate got taken off, work done and reset. Its a bit of a pain to center but other than the chamfer issue I felt it went well but I agree, you can't tell on yours and you don't want to mess with it!!! Ok, now regarding the manual mixture screw, I definitely will not mess with this to introduce another variable at this point or for the forseable future. It wasn't touched before so I don't see adjusting now. Reading my Bosh manual, the limp home feature you mention is what I've been trying unknowingly to imitate but essentially it won't work on a cold engine. Alright, its time to validate fuel delivery more carefully so I can say positively what's going on. I think I've been too presumptive. Hey DGS, your experience (other than the vroom!) is my experience to a degree. I probably have flooded, I've definitely lugged the battery but I'm confident I'm back to square one. Your point about clearing the air is exactly what I was trying to achieve, especially to make sure allllll the lines were clear.
    Some of you have mentioned the lambda design but I'm almost positive that does not apply in this case. From what I can tell if I had a lambda there should be a lamda valve present somewhere between the fuel distributer and the fuel return to the tank. Just to confirm, am I correct in understanding the KE uses a fuel pressure regulator instead or at least earlier versions only? I'm thinking lambda was a later version addition? If I recall, one of my earlier Saabs had a lambda which made a slight but distinctive clicking sound during operation. I definitely don't have that situation here. Am I correct?

22. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #22 Steve Magnusson, Sep 3, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sorry if my earlier question seemed harsh in some way -- I didn't intend it to be. I just want to be clear on your situation and removing the airflow metering plate would usually be done as part of a more major repair that would invalidate all prior mechanical adjustments. I'm clear on your status now, and getting a little extra "experience" is something that we've all done -- no biggie ;)

You're correct that you don't have a "frequency valve", or so other gizmo, that would make noise when in operation, but you still have what is generally referred to overall as a "Lambda"-type Bosch CIS system (i.e., when warm, under moderate cruise or idle conditions, the system runs closed-loop using the O2 sensor output as the feedback signal). The EM valve on a KE-Jet TR fuel distributor is a silent device that "flexes" a moving part internally (when the current passing thru it is changed) to change the amount of fuel delivered at the injectors.

No "limp home" mode that I'm aware of on any version TR. On the "KE with Lambda" TRs, it either runs open-loop (where the current in the EM valve is set to a "dumb" value based on temperature and time since start-up) or closed-loop (where the current in the EM valve is actively varied by the injection ECU in order to get a desired output from the O2 sensor). If you unplug the O2 sensor (or the signal from the O2 sensor is determined by the injection ECU to be obviously wacky), the system for that bank will only run in the open-loop way.

For your reference, attached is the figure and text I mentioned from that F113B KE-Jet booklet. Keep chewing -- let us know what you find.

23. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    My understanding of CIS you can have only a few problems:

fuel pump not working can you hear it?
    lack of fuel pressure even if you have some gas come out. did you pressure guage it?
    cold start valve flooding engine. did you confirm CSV working?
    sensor plate or control piston not moving. Did you check the control piston movement?
    massive air intake leak. Bellows off/cracked?
    your timing is way off if you truely have functioning spark and fuel. Have you brough the car to TDC in compression and verify the rotor position to #1 . You modified something in the rotor from a previous post. Is this non-standard OEM?

Disable your fuel pump. Spray starter fluid in the intake for 3 seconds. Immediately crank the motor. If you have spark and timing the car will roar to life then die from no fuel. Then you know you have a fuel problem.

24. smithbb

smithbb Karting

Jan 27, 2003
    Lancaster, PA
    Full Name:
    Brad Smith
    Thanks guys for sticking with. Unfortunately I've had no time to get to diagnosing over the past few days. Evidently Labor day weekend is laboring outside on a patio install! Hoping to get back on it this week. Hey 91tr, absolutely no offence taken whatsoever. Your question was logical and to help resolve problems, its always good to know how much got tinkered with, ie: was it broken or did it get broken lol. Fatbillybob, I can't answer everything in depth but the pumps work, that I am positive of. (hear them, and they energized the lines when I had to remove them under pressure because of a leak) I don't have a gauge for operating pressure at this point so can't say. I'll update in the near future. Thanks again.

25. MRFOTOS

MRFOTOS Karting

May 26, 2003
    Maui, Hi
    Dont for get the obvious fuel \ ignition test with good ole starting fluid in the air intake ... you spray in the intake for a few seconds, give it a crank and if you hear no detonation of any kind, start looking for electrical gremlins.

If you hear the engine fire up for a few seconds then die out, its then time to look into the fuel delivery troubleshooting.

this simple test will show you which direction you need to go in.