Help, kind of a strange question about appearance. | FerrariChat

Help, kind of a strange question about appearance.

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by judoug88, Sep 5, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. judoug88

judoug88 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2004
    Marin, CA
    Full Name:
    JD
    Sorry I couldn't come up with a better title for the thread. Tomorrow I start my internship and for it I have to dress up in a suit and tie. I leave from the internship from school at noon. While at school I have a backpack, but I've been thinking this might be a bit unproffesional, especially when I'm trying to make a good first impression. I thought a briefcase might be better. But would it just look overdone, and too formal for me (a 16 year old showing up at his internship). Any ideas on which would be better? Thanks!

2. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Where's PimpDaddy? :D

3. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    I think the suit and tie are sufficient. Backpack or briefcase makes no difference. What will set you apart is your demeanor and your attitude.

Best wishes.

4. FerrariFabio81

FerrariFabio81 Karting

May 24, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Fabio Secaira
    Well, first of all, what are you going to be doing in your internship? Are you even going to need to carry documents or such?

If you're gonna be doing basic things, it's gonna look as if you're trying way too hard.

5. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    In this day and age, i don't think a suit case is too formal for a 16 year old... Then again, Ferrari t-shirts are acceptable attire for me, so what do i know...? :)

6. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    Jeremiha,

Congratulations and great work in receiving an internship, especially at age 16. I think you will be fine with a back-pack. Arrive 5-10 minutes early, work hard and above all, maintain a positive attitude. A positive attitude will take you wherever you wish to go regardless of age or profession. Let us know how your first day went.

Dane

7. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    Hey Carbon,

I wear one-piece pajamas and boots to work. Nobody's said anything to me!

Dane

8. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Maybe they just don't wanna hurt your feelings...? Wait, are your pajames different shades of green...? No one says anything to you because they can't see you...! :)

9. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    Yeah, THAT'LL be the day!

BTW. Hope to see you in Texas, perhaps. I'll PM ya.'

D

10. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    When you walk in, ask where you can put the backpack so it's not distracting anyone from their work.

Congratulations on your internship - what is it for?

11. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Sounds awesome...!

12. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Congratulations on your appointment as an intern. Don't sweat the backpack thing. That is fine. Like others said, arrive a few minutes early, be friendly and enthusiastic, ask questions and you will be fine.

Best of luck.

John

P.S. Don't forget to wash behind your ears! (sorry, lame joke!)

13. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    If you want to step up a little from the backpack, get a black nylon or leather attache/messenger bag. You can find deals around - years ago I got a Geoffrey Beene leather laptop/attache on clearance from Marshalls for $40. It lasted a good 3+ years of heavy use.

More important than the type of bag IMO is being clean cut and well groomed - no scraggly hair or facial hair, ironed shirt and shined shoes. Good luck!

14. judoug88

judoug88 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2004
    Marin, CA
    Full Name:
    JD
    Wow...thanks for the quick replies, I think I'll stick with the backpack and follow the suggestion to just ask where I can put it. My internship will be at the public defender's office, so I'm very excited about getting my first "real" exposure to law. I'll tyr and post about my first day once I get home tomorrow. Thanks for all the great suggestions!

15. judoug88

judoug88 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2004
    Marin, CA
    Full Name:
    JD
    That's a great idea...I think I might to do that. It's more casual than a briefcase but more professional than a briefcase.

16. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Holy crap, dude...! You're not wasting time, are you...? Awesome...! Congratulations and good luck...!

17. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    Oh, I get it now. You're calling it an "internship," huh? I'm learning more about you by the minute! ;)

Dane

18. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Back pack is indeed fine. A briefcase would be silly.

19. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    I'll second Uro. Briefcase would be over-the-top. However, you could go half-way, and use some sort of small laptop bag, semi-rigid, black, clean. Not as formal as a briefcase, yet not as casual as a backpack.

20. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I have a laptop bag that I used for carrying stuff to/from work. It was black nylon (I had a leather one too). It held all kinds of stuff and didnt look too snotty like a briefcase nor too casual like a backpack could. The leather one I had actually had a zippered compartment on the back from which came straps to let you use it like a backpack. So it was dual purpose. You can probably find something like this for $30 or so at Walmart or Target or similar stores.

Congrats on the internship!

21. taber

taber Formula 3

Mar 4, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Norman
    #21 taber, Sep 5, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just a nice messenger bag would do, I don't think it is that uncommon in high school. And it doesn't stand out in the workplace...

Something like this, maybe in black?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    A backpack is fine, but make sure your shoes are polished.

23. Supercarlover

Supercarlover Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Joshua B.
    Shoot...blow them away. Get a freakin' briefcase. However, you have to have the attitude (positive, can-do, eager learner, professional, etc..) to back it up. Would rather you act the part than look the part. But, if you can pull off both...do it. I read a little bit about your first day. I hope you learn a lot. Congrats on jumping right into what you want to do.

As a side note, make friends with everyone......you never know when you'll need something or require help from someone in particular. Don't burn those bridges before you get there. You can do! Good luck!

24. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    How do you explain the bunny feet? :D

25. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    I fifth the suggestion for a good quality black leather messenger bag!!!